Underwater acoustics: transmission loss at long distance

In summary, Ciccio is having trouble understanding how to calculate transmission loss at long distances for a project involving low frequency (50Hz) and a range of 400km. They have looked into the energy flux model and the Weston model, but are unsure of when to switch from "mode stripping" to "single mode". They are seeking help from others and have referenced a MATLAB example and a US Naval Academy tutorial for calculating transmission loss.
Ciccio1979
Hi all,

I have some problems to understand how to calculate the transmission loss at long distance, which model do I have to use?
I was looking into the energy flux model (Weston model), but I didn't understand at what range I should switch from "mode stripping" to "single mode".
I am working at low frequency (50Hz) and the range I am considering is around 400km.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks a lot!
Ciccio

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Jedishrfu,

thanks for the answer!
I have read that report, but the model described there is a simplified one.
The results obtained with that model are ok close the source, but at range of hundred km they are not realistic.
I need something more complex, this is why I was using the Weston model.

Cheers,
Ciccio

1. What is the main factor that affects transmission loss at long distances in underwater acoustics?

The main factor that affects transmission loss at long distances in underwater acoustics is the absorption of sound waves by the water itself. As sound travels through the water, some of the energy is lost due to the water's natural properties, such as temperature, salinity, and depth.

2. How does the frequency of sound waves impact transmission loss at long distances in underwater acoustics?

The frequency of sound waves plays a significant role in transmission loss at long distances in underwater acoustics. High frequency waves are more easily absorbed by the water, resulting in higher transmission loss compared to low frequency waves. Therefore, low frequency waves are preferred for long distance communication in underwater environments.

3. What are some other factors besides distance that can affect transmission loss in underwater acoustics?

Besides distance, other factors that can affect transmission loss in underwater acoustics include sea state (the roughness of the water's surface), presence of marine life, and man-made noise pollution. These factors can all contribute to additional absorption, scattering, and reflection of sound waves, resulting in increased transmission loss.

4. Is there a limit to how far sound can travel in underwater acoustics without experiencing significant transmission loss?

Yes, there is a limit to how far sound can travel in underwater acoustics without experiencing significant transmission loss. This distance, known as the critical range, varies depending on factors such as frequency, depth, and water conditions. Generally, higher frequency waves have a shorter critical range compared to lower frequency waves.

5. How do scientists and engineers account for transmission loss in underwater acoustic communication systems?

Scientists and engineers account for transmission loss in underwater acoustic communication systems by using mathematical models and simulations to predict the expected loss at different distances and frequencies. They also conduct field experiments and measurements to validate their models and make adjustments as needed. Additionally, advanced signal processing techniques and underwater acoustic technologies are constantly being developed to improve communication in challenging underwater environments.