Cavity resonances between two long parallel plates

In summary: Depending on what accuracy you wish, yes. I would expect the geometry shown will have strong coupling to the outside world which will wash out the resonances. You might get some indication by assuming a perfectly absorbing x-boundary.
nawidgc
Consider two rigid and infinitely long parallel plates (say they are of infinite length in X direction, so running from -inf to +inf in X axis) separated by a distance d (say measured in Y-direction). Let the space between the plates be filled up with a fluid that supports acoustic waves. If we somehow setup the resonance of acoustic wave, the wavelengths corresponding to successive resonant modes are:

λ1 = 2d/1
λ2 = 2d/2
λ3 = 2d/3
and so on.

How does the wavelength change when the plates are no longer of infinite extent in X-direction? If the dimension in X-direction is of the same order as d, what effect would this have on the resonant frequencies/wavelengths?

Physics news on Phys.org
The boundary conditions will be changed. There are now edges or interfaces normal to x. What are these boundary conditions on these surfaces?

The surfaces normal to the x-direction are open to air outside whereas the plates themselves are rigid (normal component of particle velocity = 0).

And that air is a different fluid than the fluid between the plates ?

No - the medium between the plates and outside is the same, i.e., air.

BvU said:
i suppose a normal mode analysis would not be useful as the cavity is not completely enclosed.

BvU said:
Picture2.png

You will have radiation losses.

Paul Colby said:
You will have radiation losses.
Of course. So in that case, i would need to assume appropriate boundary condition at the exit surfaces of domain and compute the normal modes.

nawidgc said:
Of course. So in that case, i would need to assume appropriate boundary condition at the exit surfaces of domain and compute the normal modes.
Depending on what accuracy you wish, yes. I would expect the geometry shown will have strong coupling to the outside world which will wash out the resonances. You might get some indication by assuming a perfectly absorbing x-boundary.

1. What are cavity resonances between two long parallel plates?

Cavity resonances between two long parallel plates refer to the phenomenon where sound waves are amplified and trapped between two parallel plates, creating a resonant cavity. This can occur when the distance between the plates is equal to a multiple of half the wavelength of the sound wave.

2. How do cavity resonances between two long parallel plates affect sound?

Cavity resonances between two long parallel plates can greatly amplify sound waves, leading to louder and more sustained sound. They can also cause certain frequencies to be emphasized, resulting in a distinct sound quality.

3. What factors influence the occurrence of cavity resonances between two long parallel plates?

The occurrence of cavity resonances between two long parallel plates is influenced by the distance between the plates, the material and thickness of the plates, and the frequency of the sound waves. Other factors such as temperature and humidity can also play a role.

4. How can cavity resonances between two long parallel plates be utilized?

Cavity resonances between two long parallel plates can be utilized in various applications, such as in musical instruments like guitars and violins, where the sound is amplified by the resonant cavity. They can also be used in sound amplification systems and in the design of acoustic chambers for testing and research purposes.

5. Are there any disadvantages of cavity resonances between two long parallel plates?

One potential disadvantage of cavity resonances between two long parallel plates is that they can cause unwanted vibrations and distortions in sound, leading to a less accurate representation of the original sound. Additionally, if not properly controlled, they can also lead to feedback and noise issues in sound systems.