Uniform Circular Motion Background theory?

In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking help with their practical report on Uniform Circular Motion. They are struggling to find information on the historical background and discovery of the equations involved, such as a = v^2/r and F = mv^2/r. The conversation suggests that this information can be found in Newton's Philosophiae Naturalis Principia Mathematica and that the key background point is from Newton's laws of motion, particularly in relation to uniform circular motion. They also mention Christiaan Huygens as a possible source of information.
antonio1997
Hi Guys, new poster here.

I am currently doing a practical report on Uniform Circular Motion, where we had to swing a rubber stopper around attached to a length of string and mass.

I have to do a write up, including the background theory. I have searched everywhere but I have found no clear answers as to when the equations involved, such as a = v^2/r and F = mv^2/r, were discovered and derived. I am pretty sure Newton plays a big part, but I only find his 3 laws.

Please help :D

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
Are you sure "background theory" means the historical background?

Have you tried googling for "history circular motion"?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_classical_mechanics
... anyway, the reference you want is: Newton I. (1687) Philosophiae Naturalis Principia Mathematica.
The key background point is from Newton's laws of motion - look carefull at how the first applies to uniform circular motion. iirc PNPM has a derivation of centripetal force.

Apparently following from Huygens C. (1673) ... but cannot find the publication.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christiaan_Huygens

Last edited:

1. What is Uniform Circular Motion?

Uniform circular motion is a type of motion in which an object moves along a circular path at a constant speed. This means that the object's speed remains the same, but its direction constantly changes, creating a circular motion.

2. How is Uniform Circular Motion different from regular circular motion?

In regular circular motion, the speed of the object may vary as it moves along the circular path. In uniform circular motion, the speed remains constant, resulting in a smoother and more predictable motion.

3. What is the role of centripetal force in Uniform Circular Motion?

Centripetal force is the force that acts towards the center of the circular path and keeps the object moving in a circular motion. It is responsible for constantly changing the direction of the object's motion, but not its speed.

4. How is the acceleration in Uniform Circular Motion calculated?

The acceleration in Uniform Circular Motion is calculated using the formula a = v^2/r, where v is the speed of the object and r is the radius of the circular path. This means that the acceleration is directly proportional to the speed and inversely proportional to the radius of the path.

5. What are some real-life examples of Uniform Circular Motion?

Some common examples of Uniform Circular Motion include the motion of a satellite orbiting the Earth, the motion of a car or bicycle around a curved track, and the motion of a Ferris wheel.