Union and Intersections proofs for real analysis

In summary: C= g(-1)(B1 U B2). Since both directions have been established, it follows that g(-1)(B1 U B2) = g(B1) U g(B2). For problem 4, you can use a similar approach to show that g(B1 n B2) = g(B1) n g(B2). In summary, the conversation discusses four problems related to sets and functions. The first two problems involve proving or disproving the equality of two sets under a given function, and the last two problems involve the inverse of the function. The conversation provides a step-by-step approach to solving the first three problems and suggests a similar strategy for the fourth problem.
badsis
Hi,

I have four similar problems that I am not sure how to do: Given: A1 and A2 are in X, B1 and B2 are in Y f: X->Y, g - inverse of f
I have to either prove or if false find counterargument
1. f(A1 U A2) = f(A1) U f(A2)
2. f(A1 n A2) = f(A1) n f(A2)
3. g(-1)(B1 U B2) = g(B1) U g(B2)
4. g(B1 n B2) = g(B1) n f(B2)

I started doing 2. I was able to show that f(A1 n A2) C=(is contained in) f(A1) n f(A2):
let x € f(A1) and x € f(A2)
since (A1 n A2) <=A1, x€f(A1)
since (A1 n A2) <=A2, x€f(A2)
=> x € f(A1 n A2), x € f(A1) n f(A2), i.e. (A1 n A2) C= f(A1) n f(A2)

But I am not sure how to show the other way, i.e. that f(A1) n f(A2) C= (A1 n A2), in order to conclude that both expressions are equal. Or are they equal at all?

Physics news on Phys.org
For the other three problems, I am not sure how to approach them. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! For problem 1, you can show that f(A1 U A2) C= f(A1) U f(A2) by letting x € f(A1) U f(A2). Since (A1 U A2) >=A1, x€f(A1), and since (A1 U A2) >=A2, x€f(A2). Therefore, x € f(A1 U A2). This shows that f(A1 U A2) C= f(A1) U f(A2). To show the other direction, let x € f(A1 U A2). Since (A1 U A2) <=A1, x€f(A1), and since (A1 U A2) <=A2, x€f(A2). Therefore, x € f(A1) U f(A2). This shows that f(A1) U f(A2) C= f(A1 U A2). Since both directions have been established, it follows that f(A1 U A2) = f(A1) U f(A2).For problem 3, you can show that g(-1)(B1 U B2) C= g(B1) U g(B2) by letting x € g(B1) U g(B2). Since (B1 U B2) >=B1, x€g(B1), and since (B1 U B2) >=B2, x€g(B2). Therefore, x € g(-1)(B1 U B2). This shows that g(-1)(B1 U B2) C= g(B1) U g(B2). To show the other direction, let x € g(-1)(B1 U B2). Since (B1 U B2) <=B1, x€g(B1), and since (B1 U B2) <=B2, x€g(B2). Therefore, x € g(B1) U g(B2). This shows that g(B1) U g(

Related to Union and Intersections proofs for real analysis

1. What is the definition of a union and intersection of sets?

A union of sets is a new set that contains all the elements from two or more sets. The intersection of sets is a new set that contains only the elements that are common to all the sets.

2. How are unions and intersections used in real analysis?

In real analysis, unions and intersections are used to prove various theorems and properties of sets and functions. They are often used to show that a certain set or function satisfies a particular condition or to establish relationships between different sets and functions.

3. What is the algebraic representation of unions and intersections?

The union of two sets A and B is represented as A ∪ B, while the intersection of sets A and B is represented as A ∩ B. These symbols are derived from the mathematical symbols for 'or' (∨) and 'and' (∧) respectively.

4. How do you prove a union or intersection of sets in real analysis?

To prove a union or intersection in real analysis, you need to show that every element in the new set belongs to one or both of the original sets. This can be done using various proof techniques such as direct proof, proof by contradiction, or proof by induction.

5. What are some common properties of unions and intersections?

Some common properties of unions and intersections include commutativity (A ∪ B = B ∪ A and A ∩ B = B ∩ A), associativity (A ∪ (B ∪ C) = (A ∪ B) ∪ C and A ∩ (B ∩ C) = (A ∩ B) ∩ C), and distributivity (A ∪ (B ∩ C) = (A ∪ B) ∩ (A ∪ C) and A ∩ (B ∪ C) = (A ∩ B) ∪ (A ∩ C)). These properties are useful in proving more complex theorems and properties in real analysis.