Uniqueness theorems for black holes

In summary: This, however, just got you this thread closed and a warning. People here respond to your questions out of the goodness of their hearts. Please keep that in mind when responding to...I understand. Thank you for your help.
Max Green
I am under the impression, there is no unique solutions to Einstein's field equations for a cosmological constant, or for higher dimensional spacetimes. Has anybody got a counter example for a solution including the cosmo constant to show there are multiple solutions, for example, i know of the de sitter spacetimes (\ads) , but I am not sure of any others. Is the FLRW metric an exact solution for a cosmological constant? I am studying specifically black holes.

Physics news on Phys.org
Of course there are infinitely many solution of the Einstein field equations with cosmological constant.

Could you give me an example of a few of these solutions? Other than de sitter/anti solution

Max Green said:
I am under the impression, there is no unique solutions to Einstein's field equations for a cosmological constant

Where are you getting this impression from? And what do you mean by "unique solutions"? Obviously there are infinitely many de Sitter spacetimes, since there are infinitely many possible values for the cosmological constant. Do those count as different solutions, or do all of them count as just one? Also, if the cosmological constant is zero or negative, the global character of the solution is significantly different; does that count as a different solution?

Max Green said:
Is the FLRW metric an exact solution for a cosmological constant?

The FLRW metric with a cosmological constant (and no other matter content) is just de Sitter spacetime (more precisely, de Sitter if the constant is positive, or anti-de Sitter if the constant is negative).

I mean, for asymptotically flat 4-d spacetimes, we have unique solutions, ie. kerr metric for rotational source with no charge, in which we only require the mass and angular momentum to find a unique black hole solution. I'm wanting to apply this for EFE with a cosmological constant, why are there multiple solutions instead of a unique one such as kerr metric, kerr newman, schwarzschild in the vacuum flat case.

Max Green said:
for asymptotically flat 4-d spacetimes

Max Green said:
I'm wanting to apply this for EFE with a cosmological constant

There are no asymptotically flat solutions with a nonzero cosmological constant. So what you are trying to do doesn't make sense.

Max Green said:
why are there multiple solutions instead of a unique one such as kerr metric, kerr newman, schwarzschild in the vacuum flat case

What "multiple solutions" are you referring to?

PeterDonis said:
What "multiple solutions" are you referring to?
Ok to rephrase this, why is there no uniqueness theorem for EFE with a cosmological constant..can you give a counter example? or a simple reason as to why we don't have uniqueness theorems like birkhoff's or robinsons/israels but for a cosmo constant

Max Green said:
why is there no uniqueness theorem for EFE with a cosmological constant

If you mean a solution to the EFE with a cosmological constant and no other stress-energy present, the solutions are known: de Sitter spacetime for a positive cosmological constant, and anti-de Sitter spacetime for a negative cosmological constant.

I'm still not sure what you mean by "unique solutions" or why you think this is somehow an issue.

so is there a uniqueness theorem for the EFE with a cosmological constant? if there is only one solution (de sitter spacetime) for positive constant, that is a unique solution for a cosmological constant? are there other metrics that can describe a spacetime with cosmo constant, T=0, other than de sitter?

Max Green said:
so is there a uniqueness theorem for the EFE with a cosmological constant?

I don't know if there is a named theorem. See below.

Max Green said:
if there is only one solution (de sitter spacetime) for positive constant, that is a unique solution for a cosmological constant?

You tell me; you're the one who keeps using the term "unique solution" without explaining what you mean by it, despite being asked.

Max Green said:
are there other metrics that can describe a spacetime with cosmo constant, T=0, other than de sitter?

More precisely, as I've said, de Sitter for a positive cosmological constant, or anti-de Sitter for a negative cosmological constant. There are also combinations of the Schwarzschild solution with both of those: Schwarzschild-de Sitter and Schwarzschild-anti de Sitter. Those are the only solutions I'm aware of with a nonzero cosmological constant and zero stress-energy tensor.

Haha calm down mate only asking, you’re clearly not hearing what I’m saying. Don’t worry about it, I’ll get help from somebody qualified

Max Green said:
you’re clearly not hearing what I’m saying

Well, I've answered every question you asked except for the one about "unique solution", which, as I said, is a term you keep using without explaining what you mean by it. You're welcome to ask further questions if you need to--but you'll have to do so in a new thread, see below.

Max Green said:
I’ll get help from somebody qualified

This, however, just got you this thread closed and a warning. People here respond to your questions out of the goodness of their hearts. Please keep that in mind when responding to them.

Likes Dale

1. What are uniqueness theorems for black holes?

Uniqueness theorems for black holes are mathematical theorems that describe the properties and characteristics of black holes. They state that under certain conditions, a black hole can be uniquely determined by its mass, electric charge, and angular momentum.

2. How do uniqueness theorems for black holes relate to general relativity?

Uniqueness theorems for black holes are based on the principles of general relativity, which is the theory of gravity proposed by Albert Einstein. These theorems use the equations of general relativity to describe the behavior of black holes.

3. What is the significance of uniqueness theorems for black holes?

Uniqueness theorems for black holes are important because they help us understand the nature of black holes and their role in the universe. They also provide a way to test the predictions of general relativity and confirm its validity.

4. Are there any exceptions to uniqueness theorems for black holes?

While uniqueness theorems for black holes hold true in most cases, there are some exceptions. For example, black holes with non-zero magnetic charge or in non-asymptotically flat spacetimes do not follow these theorems.

5. How do uniqueness theorems for black holes impact our understanding of the universe?

Uniqueness theorems for black holes have greatly contributed to our understanding of the universe, particularly in the study of astrophysics and cosmology. They have helped us make predictions about the behavior of black holes and their role in the evolution of galaxies and the universe as a whole.