Unit circle derived distribution

In summary: Y^2and then continue as before?In summary, the conversation discusses the probability density function of a random variable Y, which is related to another random variable X by Y = f(X) = √(1-X2) and X = g(Y) = ±√(1-Y2). The probability density function of Y is calculated using the formula Yden(y) = Xden(g(y)) / |f'(g(y))|, where Xden(x) = 0.5 (-1 < x < 1). The conversation also touches on using the cumulative distribution function method to calculate the probability density function. There is some confusion about the probability distribution of X depending on whether
rabbed
Hi

Assume an x-coordinate from the unit circle is picked from a uniform distribution.
This is the outcome of the random variable X with probability density function Xden(x) = 0.5 (-1 < x < 1).
The random variable Y is related to the random variable X by Y = f(X) = √(1-X2) and X = g(Y) = ±√(1-Y2).
What is the probability density function Yden(y)?

Since Yden(y) = Xden(g(y)) / |f'(g(y))|, i first calculate f'(x) = -x/√(1-x2).
Then Yden(y) = Xden( √(1-Y2) ) / f'( √(1-Y2) ) + Xden( -√(1-Y2) ) / f'( -√(1-Y2) )

I get Yden(y) = 0

Where do i go wrong?

Rgds
Rabbed

Physics news on Phys.org
Your last formula looks (almost) correct but the result is not zero. What are the values of the Xden(..) in that formula and where did the absolute values go ? Also, do compute f'(g(y)), it will simplify.

As an aside, it's a personnal quirk perhaps but I never use the density formulas, it's easy to mishandle them - using cumulative distribution functions instead, you cannot go wrong.

Hey

Thanks for your answer!
I checked my calculation again (in particular the absolute values) and came up with this:
Yden(y) = √y2 / √(1-y2)
Don't know if that's correct.. i'll try do it the other way around, starting with Yden(y) to get Xden(x) = 0.5

How do you do this using CDF instead?

Rgds
Rabbed

That looks ok to me, you might replace ## \sqrt{y^2} ## with just ## y ## though : )

With the CDF ## P(Y\leq y)=P(\sqrt{1-X^2}\leq y)=P(|X|\geq\sqrt{1-y^2})=1-\sqrt{1-y^2}##, differentiate and you get your result.
Of more general applicability, differentiate ##P(|X|\geq\sqrt{1-y^2})##, this gives you the Y-PDF from the X-PDF without needing the actual X-CDF.

Same thing really - for me it's harder to miss a step this way, I just find it more concrete but it's really a matter of taste, and to be perfectly homest, I'm just too lazy to memorize the PDF formula.

Last edited:
Ok, i'll check out that technique, thanks.

So what does the answer tell me, that if i pick an x-coordinate at random between -1 and 1 (with all having equal probability), it's very probable that it's corresponding y-coordinate (on the upper half of the unit circle) is close to 1, and very improbable that the y-coordinate is close to 0?

Rgds
Rabbed

Something like that, yes, depending how improbable is very improbable :)
This relates to the fact that the half-circle has a horizontal tangent at x=0 and a vertical one at x=1.

Hi again...

Is this a correct usage of the CDF method?

Y_den(y) =
Y_cdf'(y) =
( P( Y < y ) )' =
( P( f(X) < y ) )' =
( P( sqrt(1-X^2) < y ) )' =
( P( 1-X^2 < y^2 ) )' =
( P( -1+X^2 > -y^2 ) )' =
( P( X^2 > 1-y^2 ) )' =
( P( X > sqrt(1-y^2) ) )' =
( 1 - X_cdf(sqrt(1-y^2) ) )' =
(-X_cdf'(sqrt(1-y^2))) * (-y/sqrt(1-y^2)) =
(-X_pdf(sqrt(1-y^2))) * (-y/sqrt(1-y^2)) =
(-0.5) * (-y/sqrt(1-y^2)) =
0.5*y/sqrt(1-y^2)

Rgds
Rabbed

Almost. You are off a factor of 2 because of your step ## ( P( X^2 > 1-y^2 ) )' =
( P( X > \sqrt{1-y^2} ) )' ##. Looks like you forgot something here : )

Oh and by the way, do try the tex formatting, it's not difficult (there's a guide in the help/howto section too), and it makes equations much easier to read...

Do you mean this?
##
( P( X^2 > 1-y^2 ) )' =
( P( X > \pm\sqrt{1-y^2} ) )' =
( P( (X > -\sqrt{1-y^2}) OR (X > \sqrt{1-y^2}) ) )' =
##
And then i can use the OR/+ formula to continue?

Shouldn't ## P( (X > -\sqrt{1-y^2}) OR (X > \sqrt{1-y^2}) ) = P( X > -\sqrt{1-y^2} ) ## ?

Yes the OR was sthe missing part - but it's easy to handle here : from the symmetry of the distribution of X, ## P(|X|>x)=2P(X>x)##

Note : it is true of course that in general ## P(|X|>x)=P(X>x)+P(X<-x) ## but in this case the two terms are equal, hence the simplification.

rabbed said:
Hi

Assume an x-coordinate from the unit circle is picked from a uniform distribution.
This seems to me to be ambiguous. Yes, the x coordinates of points on the circle all lie between -1 and 1. But does this mean that x is uniformly distributed on -1 to 1, as you are assuming here, or does it mean that x is x coordinate of a point on the unit circle and the points are uniformly distributed?
Those are not at all the same. In the latter case, X is [itex]cos(\theta)[/itex] with [itex]\theta[/itex] uniformly distributed between [itex]0[/itex] and [itex]2\pi[/itex].

This is the outcome of the random variable X with probability density function Xden(x) = 0.5 (-1 < x < 1).
The random variable Y is related to the random variable X by Y = f(X) = √(1-X2) and X = g(Y) = ±√(1-Y2).
What is the probability density function Yden(y)?

Since Yden(y) = Xden(g(y)) / |f'(g(y))|, i first calculate f'(x) = -x/√(1-x2).
Then Yden(y) = Xden( √(1-Y2) ) / f'( √(1-Y2) ) + Xden( -√(1-Y2) ) / f'( -√(1-Y2) )

I get Yden(y) = 0

Where do i go wrong?

Rgds
Rabbed

Thanks, I've got the same answer with the CDF method now.

https://www.physicsforums.com/members/hallsofivy.331/:
Yes, i mean the x-coordinate should be uniformly distributed, not the angle. But I do want to check that also later, to see the difference.

My next concern is how i get from:
Y_pdf(y) = y/√(1-y2)
X = g(Y) = ± √(1-Y2)
to:
X_pdf(x) = 0.5

I think i go wrong here:
( P( ± √(1-Y2) < x ) )' =
( P( -√(1-Y2) < x OR √(1-Y2) < x ) )' =
( P( √(1-Y2) > -x OR √(1-Y2) < x ) )' =
( P( 1-Y2 > x2 OR 1-Y2 < x2 ) )'

Any tips? :)

Rgds
Rabbed

Last edited:
Your inequalities are wrong... [itex]x^2>f(y) \Rightarrow x < -\sqrt{f(y)} ~~\text{or}~~ x> + \sqrt{f(y)}[/itex]

Also when you have something like: [itex] \pm \sqrt{1+Y^2} \le x[/itex] it doesn't really make sense...

edit \*what happened with the square roots and latex?*\

Thanks,

But how do you go from [tex]X = g(Y) = ± \sqrt{1-Y^2}[/tex]
to insert into the CDF definition [tex]P(X < x)[/tex]

Should i start by squaring them both, so that i can insert
[tex]X^2 = g(Y)^2 = (± \sqrt{1-Y^2})^2 = |1-Y^2|[/tex]
into
[tex]P(X^2 < x^2)[/tex]
and get
[tex]P(x^2 > |1-Y^2|) = P(x < -\sqrt{|1-Y^2|}\ OR\ x > \sqrt{|1-Y^2|})[/tex]
?

Rgds
Rabbed

Any pointers on this, please?

Rgds
Rabbed

Related to Unit circle derived distribution

1. What is a unit circle derived distribution?

A unit circle derived distribution is a type of probability distribution that is derived from the unit circle, which is a circle with a radius of 1 centered at the origin in a Cartesian coordinate system. It is used to model random variables that have a circular or periodic nature, such as angles or time.

2. How is a unit circle derived distribution different from other probability distributions?

Unlike other probability distributions, a unit circle derived distribution is circular in nature and has a period of 2π. This means that the values of the random variable repeat every 2π units. Additionally, it is bounded between 0 and 2π, unlike other distributions that may have infinite bounds.

3. What are some common examples of unit circle derived distributions?

Some common examples of unit circle derived distributions include the von Mises distribution, which is used to model directional data, and the wrapped normal distribution, which is used to model circular data that has a normal distribution. Other examples include the wrapped Cauchy distribution and the wrapped exponential distribution.

4. How is a unit circle derived distribution useful in statistical analysis?

Unit circle derived distributions are useful in statistical analysis because they can model circular and periodic data more accurately than other distributions. This is important in fields such as astronomy, where data is often measured in angles, or in biology, where data may be measured in time cycles. These distributions also have well-defined properties, making them easier to work with mathematically.

5. What are some challenges in working with unit circle derived distributions?

One of the main challenges in working with unit circle derived distributions is that they are not as well-known or commonly used as other probability distributions, so there may be less research and resources available. Additionally, some unit circle derived distributions have complex mathematical formulas, making them more difficult to work with compared to other distributions.