Unit vectors -- How can they be dimensionless?

In summary, a unit vector is a dimensionless vector with a magnitude of 1, without units. It retains the direction of the original vector and conveys directional information. In three dimensions, unit vectors can be used to specify a displacement in a particular direction. This concept can be confusing due to different interpretations of terms such as magnitude, dimension, and modulus.
mcastillo356
Gold Member
Hi, what is a unit vector? I mean, it is ##\hat{A}=\vec A/|A|##. A dimensionless vector with modulus (absolute value) one, I've read somewhere.
So, dimensionless with modulus. Isn't that a contradiction? I mean, absolute value regardless dimension? Am I out of context?. ##\Bbb R^3## is a three-dimensional space...##\Bbb R^2## a two-dimensional space, but ##\Bbb R## is not a dimension?
So, why is a unit vector dimensionless?

Likes jedishrfu
Mathematics news on Phys.org
When performing the [itex] \hat A = \frac{\vec A}{A} [/itex] operation, the [itex] \hat A [/itex] retains the direction of [itex] \vec A [/itex]. So yes, unit vectors all have magnitudes of 1, without units, but they do have separate directions. It's the directional information that they convey.

By the way, this post might be better suited for the General Mathematics subforum, or maybe the Introductory Physics Homework Help subforum. (At present it's in the General Discussion subforum.)

---------------------
Edit:

Rather than just leave it at that, allow me to give an example. Suppose that in three dimensions, with unit vectors [itex] \hat {a_x} [/itex], [itex] \hat {a_y} [/itex], and [itex] \hat {a_z} [/itex] (each unit vector representing one of the three Cartesian directions), you are given a displacement of 5 meters.

[itex] s = 5 \ \mathrm{m} [/itex]

But with that alone, you have no idea what direction this displacement is.

But it is possible to specify this with unit vectors, such as

[itex] \vec s = (5 \ \mathrm{m}) \hat {a_x} [/itex]

Now you know that the displacement is along the x-axis.

Or, as another example, suppose that the 5 meter displacement is on the x-y plane, along the x-y diagonal, you could write:

[itex] \vec s = \left( \frac{5}{\sqrt{2}} \ \mathrm{m} \right) \hat {a_x} + \left( \frac{5}{\sqrt{2}} \ \mathrm{m} \right) \hat {a_y} [/itex]

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes mfb and mcastillo356
Thanks!Understood This was a question I feared to do, because I was afraid of making it the wrong post (magnitude, dimension, modulus... Have a different and eventually more than one meaning in my language). I really feel released.

Greetings

Likes berkeman and collinsmark

1. What are unit vectors?

Unit vectors are special types of vectors that have a magnitude of 1 and are typically used to represent direction in a coordinate system. They are commonly denoted by a hat symbol (^) on top of the vector symbol.

2. How can unit vectors be dimensionless?

Unit vectors are dimensionless because they do not have any units associated with them. They only represent direction and have a magnitude of 1, which is a dimensionless quantity.

3. Can unit vectors have different dimensions?

No, unit vectors are always dimensionless. They are used to represent direction in any given dimension, but their magnitude will always be 1, making them dimensionless.

4. How are unit vectors used in physics and engineering?

Unit vectors are commonly used in physics and engineering to represent the direction of a force, velocity, or acceleration in a coordinate system. They are also used in vector calculus to simplify calculations and represent the direction of a gradient or a normal vector.

5. What is the difference between a unit vector and a regular vector?

The main difference between a unit vector and a regular vector is their magnitude. Unit vectors have a magnitude of 1, while regular vectors can have any magnitude. Unit vectors are also used to represent direction, while regular vectors represent both direction and magnitude.