Universal Gravitation homework

In summary, the question asks for the altitude of a satellite that would be placed above the Martian equator to facilitate communications with astronauts on Mars. The relevant information can be found in Appendix C. The equation used to solve for the altitude is Universal Gravitation (F = GmM1/R^2). The attempt at a solution involved converting the Martian day into seconds and using the equation r = (GMT/2pi)^.5, but further work is needed to find the correct altitude.
yiyi

Homework Statement

In the not-too-distant future astronauts will travel to Mars to carry out scientific explorations. As part of their mission, it is likely that a "geosynchronous" satelite will be placed
above a given point on the Martian equator to facilitate communcations. At what altitude above the surface of Mars should such a satellite orbit? (the Martian day is 24.6229 hours. other relevant information can be found in appendix c.) At what altitude above the suface of Mars should such a satellite orbit?

Homework Equations

I know that we should use Universal Gravitation (F = GmM1/R^2).

The Attempt at a Solution

r = (GMT/2pi)^.5
i did this to solve for the radius, converting the Maritan day into seconds first.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello yiyi,

Welcome to Physics Forums! :smile:

yiyi said:

Homework Statement

In the not-too-distant future astronauts will travel to Mars to carry out scientific explorations. As part of their mission, it is likely that a "geosynchronous" satelite will be placed
above a given point on the Martian equator to facilitate communcations. At what altitude above the surface of Mars should such a satellite orbit? (the Martian day is 24.6229 hours. other relevant information can be found in appendix c.) At what altitude above the suface of Mars should such a satellite orbit?

Homework Equations

I know that we should use Universal Gravitation (F = GmM1/R^2).

The Attempt at a Solution

r = (GMT/2pi)^.5
i did this to solve for the radius, converting the Maritan day into seconds first.

You will have to show more work. Something isn't quite right to me with your "r = (GMT/2pi)^.5" answer. Perhaps if you show some of your work we can help find what went wrong.

As a hint though, set the gravitational force equal to the centripetal force and solve for r.

I think I just did some mathematical calculations wrong. Thanks for the help!

1. What is Universal Gravitation?

Universal gravitation is a physical law that states that every object in the universe attracts every other object with a force that is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. Who discovered Universal Gravitation?

Universal gravitation was discovered by Sir Isaac Newton in 1687, when he published his famous work "Principia Mathematica".

3. How does Universal Gravitation affect objects on Earth?

Universal gravitation is responsible for keeping objects on Earth, such as people and buildings, from floating off into space. It also determines the trajectory of objects in motion, such as the planets in our solar system.

4. What is the difference between Universal Gravitation and Gravity?

Universal gravitation is a scientific theory that explains the force of attraction between all objects in the universe, while gravity is the specific term used to describe the force of attraction between objects on Earth.

5. How is Universal Gravitation related to the Law of Conservation of Energy?

Universal gravitation is related to the Law of Conservation of Energy because the potential energy of an object in a gravitational field is converted into kinetic energy as the object falls toward the source of gravity. This demonstrates the conversion of potential energy into kinetic energy, which is a fundamental principle of the Law of Conservation of Energy.