Universe : Can time move backward (New theory special)

In summary, the researchers believe that time is an abstraction and that it is Change that defines it.
CaptCoonoor
So, Hey Guys,
I was watching DNews and Suddenly I came across this video. Also I found two sources of 'theory'
Source A ;
Source B;
Seems like they are saying Entropy isn't the factor Explaining time, They even said that Thermodynamics (and it's second law) isn't what explains the time, They believe that "GRAVITY" controls time...
They tested out using computer simulation which created 2 Universes (of Newtonian physics) and the arrow of time was opposite in both the universe!
But time is relative right? that means that to them its foward right?
I'll argue that they are incorrect because it will make physics even more complex, I mean some theory's can't be explained by this... (hope i make sense there :P)

Comment down your opinion guys!

Physics news on Phys.org
Cause and effect are the arrow of time.

Here's the arXiv version: http://arxiv.org/abs/1409.0917

Julian Barbour, Tim Koslowski, Flavio Mercati

It is widely believed that special initial conditions must be imposed on any time-symmetric law if its solutions are to exhibit behavior of any kind that defines an `arrow of time'. We show that this is not so. The simplest non-trivial time-symmetric law that can be used to model a dynamically closed universe is the Newtonian N-body problem with vanishing total energy and angular momentum. Because of special properties of this system (likely to be shared by any law of the Universe), its typical solutions all divide at a uniquely defined point into two halves. In each a well-defined measure of shape complexity fluctuates but grows irreversibly between rising bounds from that point. Structures that store dynamical information are created as the complexity grows and act as `records'. Each solution can be viewed as having a single past and two distinct futures emerging from it. Any internal observer must be in one half of the solution and will only be aware of the records of one branch and deduce a unique past and future direction from inspection of the available records.

Lord Crc said:
Here's the arXiv version: http://arxiv.org/abs/1409.0917

Julian Barbour, Tim Koslowski, Flavio Mercati
I really didn't get this... :(

CaptCoonoor said:
I really didn't get this... :(

See. #2 Cause and effect are the arrow of time.
Look at figure 6. time-independent (autonomous) Hamiltonian [6]: http://arxiv.org/abs/1409.0917

... it is very natural to identify an arrow of time with the direction in which structure, measured in our case by CS, grows. We then have a dynamically-enforced scenario with one past (the minimum of CS, which occurs near τ = 0) and two futures.The growth-of-complexity arrow always points away from the unique past. In the atypical solutions that terminate with Icm = 0 (footnote 3) there is one past and only one future.

"time is an abstraction at which we arrive through the changes of things.” Thus, time as such does not exist but only change. Much of my research has been devoted to the implications of this insight. I have shown how, alongside the relativity of motion, the notion of time as change can be built into the foundations of dynamics. In fact, this idea is contained in a hidden form within general relativity. Its potential consequences for the yet to be found quantum mechanics of the universe are profound. The quantum universe is likely to be static. Motion and the apparent passage of time may be nothing but very well founded illusions."

1. Can time actually move backward?

According to the new theory of special relativity, time is a relative concept and can move in different directions depending on the observer's frame of reference. This means that while time may appear to move backward for one observer, it may be moving forward for another. So, in a sense, time can move backward, but it is all a matter of perspective.

2. How does this new theory of time differ from previous theories?

Previous theories of time, such as Newton's absolute time, stated that time was constant and moved in only one direction. However, the new theory of special relativity takes into account the concept of time dilation and shows that time can move at different rates for different observers depending on their relative motion.

3. Is there any evidence to support this new theory of time?

Yes, there is evidence to support the new theory of special relativity. Experiments such as the Hafele-Keating experiment and the GPS system have shown that time dilation does occur and that time can move at different rates for different observers. Additionally, the theory has been mathematically proven and is widely accepted by the scientific community.

4. What are the implications of this new theory of time?

The new theory of special relativity has significant implications for our understanding of the universe. It challenges our traditional view of time and opens up the possibility of time travel and other phenomena that were previously thought to be impossible. It also has implications for fields such as cosmology and quantum mechanics, as it provides a new framework for understanding the behavior of matter and energy.

5. How does this theory relate to the concept of the arrow of time?

The concept of the arrow of time, which states that time moves in only one direction, is still valid in the context of our everyday experiences. However, the new theory of time shows that the arrow of time is not absolute and can vary depending on the observer's frame of reference. This means that the direction of time is not fixed and can change based on the relative motion of objects.