Unlock Pet Separation Anxiety with "Puppy Prozac"

In summary, a pill called "puppy Prozac" claims to help dogs with separation anxiety by boosting their energy and controlling their weight. However, when Joy tries it on her dog Sparky, he becomes overly energetic and she turns to "Doggie Downers" to calm him down. These pills, marketed by Hound-Doze, are essentially caffeine and valium for dogs.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
More than 10 million dogs across the country deal with pet separation anxiety — barking, whining and showing signs of stress when their owners leave the house.

But a pill dubbed "puppy Prozac" promises to change that. [continued]
http://www.abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=3063558&page=1

[ Jill is visiting Joy, whose dog is lying like a lox on the living room floor. Joy throws a ball at the dog, but he just stares at it as it rolls by. ]

Joy: Gee, Sparky's been acting dull and listless lately. I just don't know what's wrong with him.

Jill: My dog Skippy used to be like that.. until I found out about.. [ reaches for box and pulls out a puppy upper ] ..Puppy Uppers. Puppy Uppers pep up your pooch, plus, they help control his weight.

[ Joy feeds Puppy Upper to Sparky ]

[ ripple dissolve to Sparky rolling over, doing back flips, leaping about, and acting speedy ]

[ SUPER: "Later That Day" ]

[ close-up of Sparky jumping up on Joy ]

Joy: Maybe it's me, Jill, but I'd say Sparky's perked up a little too much.

Jill: No argument there, Joy. When my Skippy gets too frisky, what I do is give him these.. Doggie Downers.

[ Jill holds up a box of Doggie Downers, then hands it to Joy, who is still being bothered by the frisky Sparky ]

Joy: [ reading label ] Doggie Downers.. mellows out your mutt. Hmm.. I'll try them. [ feeds Sparky a Doggie Downer; he collapses ]

[ SUPER: "Later That Day" ]

[ ripple dissolve to Sparky lying like a lox on the living room floor, box of Doggie Downers in the shot ]

Jill: That's Puppy uppers for when your dog's like this. And.. [cut to replay of shot with sparky jumping on Joy, box of Puppy Uppers in the shot ] ..Doggie Downers, for when your dog's like this. From Hound-Doze.
http://snltranscripts.jt.org/76/76gpuppyuppers.phtml
Saturday Night Live Transcripts
Season 2: Episode 7
76g: Dick Cavett / Ry Cooder
Puppy Uppers/Doggie Downers
Joy...Gilda Radner
Jill...Laraine Newman

Physics news on Phys.org
So...caffeine and valium marketed to dog owners? Meh. Lorezapam is fun stuff though. Does funny things to me.

[ open on interior, living room, with Joy sitting on the couch, looking bored ]

Joy: Gee, Sparky's been acting dull and listless lately. I just don't know what's wrong with him.

Jill: My dog Skippy used to be like that.. until I found out about.. [ reaches for box and pulls out a bottle of pills ] ..Puppy Uppers. These pills are supposed to pep up your pooch and help control their weight.

[ Joy looks intrigued and takes the bottle from Jill ]

Joy: Hmm, that sounds like it could be helpful. How do they work?

Jill: It's a simple pill that you give to your dog. It contains certain ingredients that are known to increase energy and alertness in dogs. My Skippy was like a whole new dog after taking these.

[ Joy feeds a pill to Sparky ]

[ cut to later that day, with Sparky jumping all over Joy ]

Joy: Wow, these really do work! But maybe a little too well...

Jill: Yeah, sometimes my Skippy gets a little too frisky after taking these. That's why I always have these Doggie Downers on hand. [ holds up another bottle of pills ] These help to calm your dog down and relax them.

[ Joy takes the bottle and feeds a pill to Sparky ]

[ cut to later that day, with Sparky lying on the floor, looking relaxed ]

Jill: See? It's the perfect balance. Puppy Uppers for when they need a boost of energy, and Doggie Downers for when they need to calm down.

[ Joy looks pleased and holds up both bottles ]

Joy: Thank you, Jill! I think these will be a big help with Sparky.

[ SUPER: "Hound-Doze: The Perfect Solution for Your Dog's Energy Levels" ]

Jill: No problem, Joy. Just remember, always use these pills responsibly and follow the recommended dosages.

[ cut to product shot with both bottles ]

Jill: From Hound-Doze. Because every dog deserves to feel their best.

[ fade out ]

1. What is "Puppy Prozac" and how does it work?

"Puppy Prozac" is a nickname for fluoxetine, a commonly prescribed medication for treating separation anxiety in pets. It works by increasing the levels of serotonin in the brain, which helps to regulate mood and decrease anxiety in dogs.

2. Is "Puppy Prozac" safe for my pet?

Yes, "Puppy Prozac" is generally safe for dogs when prescribed and monitored by a veterinarian. However, as with any medication, there may be potential side effects and it is important to follow dosage instructions carefully.

3. How long does it take for "Puppy Prozac" to start working?

The effects of "Puppy Prozac" may vary for each individual dog, but it typically takes 4-6 weeks for the medication to reach its full effectiveness. It is important to continue giving the medication as prescribed and to consult with your veterinarian if you do not see any improvements after this time period.

4. Can I use "Puppy Prozac" for other behavioral issues in my pet?

While "Puppy Prozac" is primarily used for treating separation anxiety in dogs, it may also be prescribed for other behavioral issues such as aggression, compulsive behaviors, and fear. However, it is important to consult with a veterinarian before using the medication for any other purposes.

5. Are there any alternative treatments for pet separation anxiety besides medication?

Yes, there are alternative treatments for pet separation anxiety such as behavior modification training, desensitization techniques, and natural supplements. It is important to speak with a veterinarian or certified animal behaviorist to determine the best course of treatment for your individual pet.

Back