Unlocking the Mystery: How Boomerangs Work and Come Back Explained

• Thread starter Fig Neutron
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Work
In summary, a boomerang has something to do with the shape, and the flick of the wrist puts spin into the motion.
Fig Neutron
What makes a boomerang come back when you through it?

My guess is that it has something to do with the shape, I'm just not sure what. I have found three boomerangs the fist one is a typical boomerang that looks kind of like this L., the second one is a disc, and the third one is kind of like a Y with the spokes evenly placed.

The first and third boomerang make the most sense. After looking at the first one I noticed that the edges were sloped which would make one side more aerodynamic. Since one side can move through the air faster that might make it turn or at least that's my theory. I am also guessing the same principle could work for the third boomerang?

The second boomerang is the one that is really confusing me. I have seen one that is a flat disc and others that just looks like a frisbee. I haven't tried the disc kind, is it possible that it is just how you through the frisbee? If so could it be like spinning a basket ball to make it bounce back?

I know I did a lot of guessing, maybe I got something right :smile:. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Fig Neutron said:
I know I did a lot of guessing,
Have you done any googling?

Likes davenn
Fig Neutron said:

Throw

A.T. said:
Have you done any googling?

agreed

As some one who throws and even catches the returning boomerang, (apart from the aerodynamics) it's all in the flick of the wrist,
as in, if it isn't thrown properly, it won't return

kinda reminds me of this old Australian song ...

My Boomerang Won't Come Back - Charlie Drake

Dave

Last edited:
Likes sophiecentaur
davenn said:
Throw

Well that’s embarrassing.

Ok, I just googled my question. I think I understand two of the kinds of boomerangs, but I’m still not sure about how you would make the disc kind come back. But, it’s just how you throw (got the spelling right this time:smile:) right?

Fig Neutron said:
I was told how it works but I forgot. It will probably come back to me, eventually.

Likes Hypercube, berkeman, DaveC426913 and 1 other person
Fig Neutron said:
I think I understand two of the kinds of boomerangs,

yes, there are really only 2 types of real boomerang. discs and three armed things are not real boomerangs

the 2 main categories are
1) sport/show ones that (when thrown correctly) will come back, generally 2 - 3 ft from tip to tip
2) hunting boomerangs, a lot smaller - usually less than 1.5ft, are generally designed not to come back, because if you are a good shot, you will down your kangaroo, emu or what ever other wild life you intend to eat.

boomerangs generally have both arms that are shaped like a plane wing
It's that flick of the wrist that puts spin into the motion of the boomerang

I have had a lot of giggles over the years teaching people to throw a boomerang correctly

I think the very basic principle of a boomerang is simply that it angles itself upward, so that it simply starts to fall. But since its still aerodynamically stable, it slides sideways (along its plane) - which happens to be back to where it was thrown.

Ever thrown a frisbee up at, like, 30 degrees? It will reach its peak and start back down toward you - because it will only move along its plane. You can play catch with yourself.

Boomerangs do that, but better.

I got a boomerang for Christmas when I was about 30.

I read the instructions on how to throw it. You're supposed to throw it toward the ground.

I did. It smashed into a million pieces.

Likes rsk
I've seen similar results from L shaped, T shaped, Y shaped and triangle shaped boomerangs. The outside wing sees relatively faster airflow, so that results more lift on the outside than the inside, that causes the boomerang to curve. There is the issue of center of lift versus the center of mass. Typically the center of lift is somewhat in front of the center of mass, resulting in a pitch up torque that results in a roll reaction and with a typical overhand throw (outside edge upwards) used for boomerangs, the roll reaction reduces bank angle over time, perhaps beyond horizontal and banking the "other" way, resulting in a somewhat figure 8 pattern.

The cambered airfoil of a Frisbee tends to pitch down despite the center of lift versus center of mass, so a typical throw is underhand (outside edge downwards), so that the roll reaction again reduces bank angle over time. The entire Frisbee mostly acts as a single cambered airfoil, as the friction between Frisbee and air is low, so that the flow over the forward spinning surface doesn't produce significantly more lift than the backwards spinning surface (there's probably a small difference in flow detachment). The Frisbee curves based on the lean angle, not because of greater lift on the forwards spinning surface.

Aerobie flying rings have a special airfoil shape designed to move the center of lift close to the center of mass, eliminating any pitch torque from the air, which eliminates the tendency to roll. You need to "tune" them by flexing them a bit to get them to not roll. They're also thin, so they are good for achieving long distances.

Last edited:
Likes Fig Neutron
In the days when frisbees were all the rage, I had something called a boom-a-ring, like a frisbee but a ring instead of a disc. It did always come back and, if I remember rightly, was best thrown just slightly upwards.
I might have a look to see if I can get something similar, see of any of my high schoolers can work our how it works.

Last edited:
DaveC426913 said:
I got a boomerang for Christmas when I was about 30.

I read the instructions on how to throw it. You're supposed to throw it toward the ground.

I did. It smashed into a million pieces.
You should have hung onto it. Antiques can fetch high prices these days. :wink:

sophiecentaur said:
You should have hung onto it.
No. That probably would have severed my femoral artery.

Ba-zing.

Likes sophiecentaur
One of my sons brought a boomerang back from a visit to Oz, many years ago, and gave it to my youngest son. We took it out on the downs with plenty of room for practice. I gave it a first serious throw (launch?) and it came down on a flint and shattered. 'You can't get the wood, you know.'

davenn said:
kinda reminds me of this old Australian song ...
Wouldn't you know it...?

After Charlie finally found the end of his yodel, he tripped again... only this time, he just bent his assegai. . :oops:

I'm not sure if Marylou ever came back, though... . :wink:

I believe that proper boomerangs are built with dihedral so they naturally do a bank turn. It's either dihedral or the sections of the two blades that produces more lift on one than on the other. PLEASE nobody bring Bernouli into this thread.

itfitmewelltoo said:
Not very well
Hope you feel better soon. :wink:

1. How does a boomerang come back to the thrower?

The unique shape of a boomerang, with its curved arms and airfoil shape, allows it to generate lift as it spins through the air. This lift, combined with the spin, creates a gyroscopic effect that helps the boomerang return to its original position.

2. What is the history of the boomerang?

The boomerang is believed to have originated in Aboriginal Australia over 10,000 years ago. It was initially used as a hunting tool, but over time, different cultures around the world have developed and used boomerangs for various purposes, including recreation and sport.

3. Can anyone throw a boomerang successfully?

While anyone can attempt to throw a boomerang, it does require some skill and technique to make it return. It is important to throw the boomerang at the correct angle and with the right amount of spin. Practice and proper technique are key to successfully throwing a boomerang.

4. How does wind affect a boomerang's flight?

Wind can greatly affect a boomerang's flight. Strong winds can make it difficult for the boomerang to generate enough lift to return to the thrower. On the other hand, too little wind can also cause the boomerang to fall to the ground instead of returning. The ideal wind conditions for throwing a boomerang are light and consistent.

5. Is it possible to make a boomerang come back without using a throwing technique?

No, it is not possible for a boomerang to return without being thrown with the proper technique. The unique shape and design of a boomerang require it to be thrown with a specific spin and angle in order to generate the necessary lift and gyroscopic effect for it to return. Simply dropping a boomerang will not make it return.