The Mystery of Lamb's Paper on the Photoelectric Effect

In summary, the conversation is about a locked thread on Lamb's paper and the confusion surrounding it. The topic of the paper is "The Photoelectric Effect Without Photons" and it has received positive reviews. The participants are wondering why the thread was locked and if there was any issue with the paper or the discussion. They are also discussing the possibility of continuing the discussion in a different thread.
conway
I wonder why the thread on Lamb's paper was locked? I was hoping to take part in the discussion.

Physics news on Phys.org
conway said:
I wonder why the thread on Lamb's paper was locked? I was hoping to take part in the discussion.

I was also a bit surprised to see it locked, with no comment as to why. The locked thread is [thread=372653]Lamb and "The Photoelectric Effect Without Photons"[/thread].

In fact, I had just sent a PM to bcrowell on this thread --- before it had been locked --- to say thanks, because I felt it was very useful. Now I'm worried. Was I wrong? Was bcrowell's thread misleading? Or was topic the problem.

The paper has appeared in Polarization, Matière et Rayonnement, Volume in Honour of A. Kastler (Presses Universitaires de France, Paris, 1969) and the author has superb credentials. It has been cited in a couple of discussions, and so I would have though it was well worth having a critique of it.

Cheers -- sylas

If there is no explanation forthcoming as to why the other thread was shut down I am inclined to continue the discussion here...

It takes time for a reasonable number of mentors to see the report that was filed about that thread, and discuss it. In the meantime, please don't try to bypass the lock by starting new threads.

Related to The Mystery of Lamb's Paper on the Photoelectric Effect

1. What is the photoelectric effect?

The photoelectric effect is a phenomenon in which electrons are emitted from a material when it is exposed to light or other forms of electromagnetic radiation. This effect was first observed by Heinrich Hertz in 1887 and was later explained by Albert Einstein in his theory of quantum mechanics.

2. What did Lamb's paper contribute to our understanding of the photoelectric effect?

Lamb's paper, titled "The Anti-Screening Effect of a Quantum System", provided a detailed mathematical analysis of the photoelectric effect. He showed that the energy of the emitted electrons is dependent on the frequency of the incident light and the characteristics of the material, rather than the intensity of the light as previously thought. This helped to further our understanding of the quantum nature of light and the behavior of electrons in different materials.

3. How did Lamb's paper impact the field of quantum mechanics?

Lamb's paper was a significant contribution to the field of quantum mechanics. It provided strong evidence for the existence of energy levels in atoms and the quantized nature of light. It also helped to support Einstein's theory of the photoelectric effect and paved the way for further research and advancements in quantum mechanics.

4. What experimental evidence supports Lamb's theory on the photoelectric effect?

Several experiments have been conducted that support Lamb's theory on the photoelectric effect. These include the famous Davisson-Germer experiment, which demonstrated the wave-particle duality of electrons, as well as various other experiments that have confirmed the quantized nature of light and the energy levels of atoms.

5. How does the photoelectric effect have practical applications in modern technology?

The photoelectric effect has numerous practical applications in modern technology, such as in solar panels and photodetectors. Solar panels use the photoelectric effect to convert sunlight into electricity, while photodetectors use it to detect light and convert it into an electrical signal. The photoelectric effect is also used in various medical imaging techniques, such as X-rays and MRI scans.