Unmasking a Pseudoscience: The Tachyon Detector

In summary: They can't be massless, because the thing that allows them to travel faster than light is their imaginary mass, m2 < 0. If they were massless, they would just travel at c, like the photon.also ridiculous is what this guy has at the bottom of some of his other web pages. Some of the internet pages generate temporary arrays the help clear some of your random access memory from possible internet attacks.
juan avellaneda
some time ago i found this information

http://www.spots.ab.ca/~belfroy/tachyonDetector.html

on internet about a supposed "tachyon detector " . I have to confess that i believe this junk until a more deep study of electronics and amplificators led me to conclude that this is only a simple 3 stage amplificator

is ridiculous and funny to think now how some pieces of transistors, capacitors and resistance could detect something that even the most powerful and advanced scientific instruments ever constructed couldn't have done yet

this is definitively pseudoscience

someone knows who is this misterious professor Shinichi Seike, or about that whacky G research institute, or know something about the "principles of ultrarelativity" ?

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I never made it past the opening sentence...

"A tachyon particle if it exists as a particle that can travel faster than the speed of light. It may have a mass and size smaller than that of a light photon"

Assuming a photon is massless, it appears we are talking negative mass here. That is a pretty thoroughly discredited concept.

Chronos said:
I never made it past the opening sentence...

"A tachyon particle if it exists as a particle that can travel faster than the speed of light. It may have a mass and size smaller than that of a light photon"

Assuming a photon is massless, it appears we are talking negative mass here. That is a pretty thoroughly discredited concept.

Tachyons are a standard feature of some string physics, where it is sometimes possible for physical interactions to turn them into physical particles. But to detect them with ordinary electronics is just silly.

Good point. I may have issues with theories that make no testable predictions.. er, isn't that called string theory?

Hi,

I think that if tachyon particles exist, they would be massless bundles of energy/momentum, without any electromagnetic, weak, strong, or gravitational properties. They would be detectable only by their transfer of energy/momentum to a suitable detector.

juju

juju said:
Hi,

I think that if tachyon particles exist, they would be massless bundles of energy/momentum, without any electromagnetic, weak, strong, or gravitational properties. They would be detectable only by their transfer of energy/momentum to a suitable detector.

juju

They can't be massless, because the thing that allows them to travel faster than light is their imaginary mass, m2 < 0. If they were massless, they would just travel at c, like the photon.

also ridiculous is what this guy has at the bottom of some of his other web pages
Some of the internet pages generate temporary arrays the help clear some of your random access memory from possible internet attacks that may have come in with the downloads. You can maximize your security settings on Netscape 6.2, encrypt Netscape 6.2 with Windows XP, store Netscape 6.2 in your own folder and set your magnetic hard disk on "hidden" mode to help protect your computer.
after browsing through some of his "theoretical science" writings, they all seem fairly characteristic of those with a very superificial understanding of physics trying to come up with "revolutionary ideas"...crackpots

Last edited:
z

selfAdjoint said:
They can't be massless, because the thing that allows them to travel faster than light is their imaginary mass, m2 < 0. If they were massless, they would just travel at c, like the photon.

It may be that being just bundles of energy/momentum. they are not subject to the same constraints as other massless particles.

Also, if a particle had an imaginary mass, wouldn't that imply that its world lines would be perpendicular to normal space.

juju

1. What is a pseudoscience?

A pseudoscience is a belief or practice that claims to be scientific, but lacks the proper scientific evidence and methodology to support its claims. It often presents itself as a legitimate science, but relies on unproven or false theories.

2. What is the tachyon detector and how does it work?

The tachyon detector is a device that claims to detect and measure tachyons, hypothetical particles that travel faster than the speed of light. However, there is no scientific evidence to support the existence of tachyons, and the detector does not work as it relies on pseudoscientific principles.

3. How can you identify a pseudoscience?

A pseudoscience can often be identified by looking at its claims and the evidence it presents to support those claims. If the claims are not backed by reliable and verifiable evidence, and if the methodology used is not based on scientific principles, it is likely a pseudoscience.

4. Why is it important to distinguish between science and pseudoscience?

Distinguishing between science and pseudoscience is important because it allows us to separate fact from fiction and make informed decisions based on reliable evidence. Pseudoscience can be harmful as it can lead people to believe in false claims and waste time, money, and resources on something that is not scientifically valid.

5. How can we combat the spread of pseudoscience?

One of the best ways to combat the spread of pseudoscience is through education and critical thinking. By teaching people how to evaluate and analyze scientific claims, they can better discern between legitimate science and pseudoscience. Additionally, promoting and supporting scientific literacy and research can help to discredit and disprove pseudoscientific claims.