Unraveling the Complexities of Factorization in Multivariable Polynomials

• MHB
  • Thread starter bergausstein
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Factorization
In summary, Factorizing the following expression:-\left(3x^3-5x^2y-4xy-9y \right)\left(6x^3y+2x^2-8x+7y^2 \right)
bergausstein
factor

$\displaystyle 24x^4y^2+28xy^3+30x^5y^2-72xy-6x^5+35x^2y^3-18x^6y-32x^3y+33x^3y^2+63y^3+10x^4y+24x^4-14x^2y$

i have no idea where to start please help me.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
no one will help you. because it's tedious and impossible. :p

Are you sure you've copied the expression correctly?

uhm oh. there's a typo. $24x^4y^2$ should be $24x^4$ sorry. i edited now.

bergausstein said:
uhm oh. there's a typo. $24x^4y^2$ should be $24x^4$ sorry. i edited now.

W|A still finds no factored form.

I'm really sorry. i guess i edited it correctly this time. please bear with me.

bergausstein said:
I'm really sorry. i guess i edited it correctly this time. please bear with me.

Okay now it factors. This is what W|A returns:

\(\displaystyle -\left(3x^3-5x^2y-4xy-9y \right)\left(6x^3y+2x^2-8x+7y^2 \right)\)

I suggest looking at expanding that to gain insight into how it factors.

yes this the answer. but I'm having a hard time understanding how did you arrive at the answer. please help. anybody?

Last edited:
I don't see any obvious factorization of your polynomial, neither any homogeneous-inhomogeneous trick for this one (This is provable). There are not much of polynomial-factorization algorithm and the best is not something pre-algebra level student can understand. From where did you found this one out?

this is hard.

Last edited:
our instructor gave us this problem. i don't know from where did he get this.

i want to learn how to solve this. I've used all the method i know to solve this but no success.

please help me.

Last edited:
We are given to factor:

\(\displaystyle 24x^4y^2+28xy^3+30x^5y^2-72xy-6x^5+35x^2y^3-18x^6y-32x^3y+33x^3y^2+63y^3+10x^4y+24x^4-14x^2y\)

If we split 3 of the terms as follows:

\(\displaystyle 24x^4y^2+28xy^3+30x^5y^2-72xy-6x^5+35x^2y^3-18x^6y+\left(8x^3y-40x^3y \right)+\left(54x^3y^2-21x^3y^2 \right)+63y^3+10x^4y+24x^4+\left(18x^2y-32x^2y \right)\)

Then group as follows:

\(\displaystyle \left(-18x^6y-6x^5+24x^4-21x^3y^2 \right)+\left(30x^5y^2+10x^4y-40x^3y+35x^2y^3 \right)+\left(24x^4y^2+8x^3y-32x^2y+28xy^3 \right)+\left(54x^3y^2+18x^2y-72xy+63y^3 \right)\)

Factor each group:

\(\displaystyle -3x^3\left(6x^3y+2x^2-8x+7y^2 \right)+5x^2y\left(6x^3y+2x^2-8x+7y^2 \right)+4xy\left(6x^3y+2x^2-8x+7y^2 \right)+9y\left(6x^3y+2x^2-8x+7y^2 \right)\)

Factor out common factor:

\(\displaystyle \left(6x^3y+2x^2-8x+7y^2 \right)\left(5x^2y+4xy+9y-3x^3 \right)\)

how did you know that there are three terms that needs to be split? and why those terms?

did you do trial and error? :confused:

bergausstein said:
how did you know that there are three terms that needs to be split? and why those terms?

did you do trial and error? :confused:

I did as I suggested you do in an earlier post. I expanded the factorized form to find a possible method of factoring.

Factoring a huge expression like that without knowing the final form would have taken some trial and error on my part.

i wonder how did you arrive at splitting those terms before getting the factored form.$\displaystyle -\left(3x^3-5x^2y-4xy-9y \right)\left(6x^3y+2x^2-8x+7y^2 \right)$

from this factored form I can get insight of method on how to factor it. but prior to getting this factored form, how did you decide that those three terms should be cut into pieces?

bergausstein said:
our instructor gave us this problem. i don't know from where did he get this.

i want to learn how to solve this. I've used all the method i know to solve this but no success.

please help me.

paulmdrdo said:
would you help me with this

http://mathhelpboards.com/pre-algebra-algebra-2/challenging-factorization-8267.html

please help me. thanks!

Hello.

Another thing that the brute force I can't think.(Headbang)

If the question, allows you to easily factor with respect to the "x" (6), we can divide, at least in two factors.

1º) We ordered:

[tex]x^6(-18y)+x^5(30y^2-6)+x^4(24y^2+10y+24)+x^3(33y^2-32y)+x^2(35y^3-14y)+x(28y^3-72y)+63y^3[/tex]

2º)
[tex](ax^3+bx^2+cx+d)(ex^3+fx^2+gx+h)=[/tex]

[tex]=x^6(ae)+x^5(af+be)+x^4(ag+bf+ce)+x^3(ah+bg+cf+ed)+x^2(bh+cg+df)+x(ch+dg)+dh[/tex]

without losing generality, we can assume:

[tex]d=7 \ and \ h=9[/tex]

at the end there is to find the component "y".

[tex]x(ch+dg)=x(9c+7g)=x(28y^3-72)[/tex]

deducting:

[tex]c=-8 \ and \ g=4[/tex]

[tex]x^2(bh+cg+df)=x^2(9b-32+7f)=x^2((35y^3-14y)[/tex]

[tex]If \ f=-2 \ then \ b \cancel{\in}{Z}[/tex]

[tex]f=5 \ and \ b=2 \ , \ (9b-32=-14)[/tex]

And so on. You, see if the system works should try.

Regards.

bergausstein said:
i wonder how did you arrive at splitting those terms before getting the factored form.$\displaystyle -\left(3x^3-5x^2y-4xy-9y \right)\left(6x^3y+2x^2-8x+7y^2 \right)$

from this factored form I can get insight of method on how to factor it. but prior to getting this factored form, how did you decide that those three terms should be cut into pieces?

I did not do anything before I had the factored form. It was from the factored form that I saw how rewrite the expression, so that I could demonstrate to you a possible path to take.

how did you get the factored form? :confused: did you use some math software to get that?

bergausstein said:
how did you get the factored form? :confused: did you use some math software to get that?

Yes, when I referred to W|A, this is wolframalpha.com.

OH men! I'm scratching my head for hours wondering how did you easily get that factored form. now I understand. I feel bad about myself that I'm not able get the right factored form.

but at any rate, is there a method to do it manually?

bergausstein said:
OH men! I'm scratching my head for hours wondering how did you easily get that factored form. now I understand. I feel bad about myself that I'm not able get the right factored form.

but at any rate, is there a method to do it manually?

Yes, lots of paper and time for trial and error. :D

Not necessarily, but as I have mentioned before, it uses far more advanced tools than just pre-algebra. For example, http://www.sigsam.org/bulletin/articles/151/1inaba.pdf paper presents a neat method, although it is mostly impossible to carry the process off-hand.

1. What is challenging factorization?

Challenging factorization is a mathematical problem that involves finding the prime numbers that, when multiplied together, will result in a given number. It is considered challenging because it can be difficult to find the prime factors for large numbers.

2. Why is challenging factorization important?

Challenging factorization is important in many fields, including cryptography, computer science, and number theory. It is used to ensure the security of data encryption, to improve computational efficiency, and to explore the properties of prime numbers.

3. What are some methods for solving challenging factorization?

There are several methods for solving challenging factorization, including trial division, Pollard's rho algorithm, and the quadratic sieve algorithm. These methods use different techniques to find the prime factors of a given number.

4. What are some challenges in solving factorization problems?

One of the main challenges in solving factorization problems is the size of the numbers involved. As the numbers get larger, it becomes more difficult to find their prime factors. Additionally, some numbers may have very large prime factors, making it even more challenging.

5. What are some real-world applications of challenging factorization?

Challenging factorization has many real-world applications, including in cryptography to ensure secure communication and data storage, in computer science for efficient data compression and error correction, and in number theory to explore the properties of prime numbers and their distribution.