Unsure of finding Vout for this Opamp

• Thread starter whatphysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Opamp
In summary, the conversation discusses two images involving op amp circuits and the question of finding Vo. The first image involves using the voltage divider rule and the overall gain is determined to be 2. The second image involves using the superposition principle and the overall output voltage is found to be 3V. The conversation also discusses a general method for solving op amp circuits by writing KVL equations and solving for Vo. The speaker thanks the expert for their help and plans to practice the method with other circuits.
whatphysics
Poster has been reminded to post all schoolwork-type questions in the HH forums
Hi there, these aren't homework questions. I came across them during revision and couldn't solve them. So any help would be appreciated. The ans for the 1st image is 2 and second image is 3.

For the first image, I attempted to calculate the Req for 10k and 20k resistors connected to V1 since they are parallel. And then to get Vo, I took (1+R2/R1)(V1) but I got (1+2)(1)=3 instead. Where have I gone wrong?

For the second image, i tried using superposition principle by killing 2V to get Voutput due to 1V then killing 1V to get Voutput due to 2V. I got Vo(due to 1V)=(1+20/20)(1)= 2 and Vo(due to 2V)=(1+20/20)(2)= 4 so adding them would be 6V but the answer is 3V.Where have I gone wrong?

Thank you for reading this and helping me!

Attachments

• IMG_0117.jpg
    IMG_0117.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 500
  • IMG_0118.jpg
    IMG_0118.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 500
Physics news on Phys.org
First Figure: For which purpose do you need Req?
There is a simple voltage divider at the non-inv. input (20/30=2/3) - connected to an amplifier with the gain(1+2)=3.
Hence, the overall gain is (2/3)*(3)=2.

Second figure: With superposition (same principle with voltage division) we have
2V*(1/2)*(1+1)=2V and 1V*(1/2)*(1+1)=1V.
Hence, Vo=3V.

Likes AlexCaledin
whatphysics said:
The ans for the 1st image is 2 and second image is 3.

That's the answers, so i guess the question was "what is Vo?" as in title of thread ?

The way that always works for opamps is this
Write KVL for voltage at opamp's + input.
Write KVL for voltage at opamp's - input.
Set them equal, solve for Vo.

1st image:
Vat +input = 2/3 , do you see why ?
Vat - input = Vo/3 , do you see why ?
equate them, 2/3 = Vo/3 ,
multiply both sides by common denominator of 3 and you get 2= Vo, swap sides to get Vo=2 .
It's that easy .

2nd image
Vat +input = 1.5 , do you see why ?
Vat - input = Vo/2 , do you see why ?
equate them, 1.5 = Vo/2
multiply both sides by 2 and you get 3= Vo, swap sides to get Vo=3 .

The KVL equations for V at + and - inputs are seldom so convenient as in the examples you gave,
but that method always works and you ought to practice until it becomes intuitive.

Thoreau didn't know he was giving electronics advice when he wrote "Simplify Simplify."

old jim

LvW said:
First Figure: For which purpose do you need Req?
There is a simple voltage divider at the non-inv. input (20/30=2/3) - connected to an amplifier with the gain(1+2)=3.
Hence, the overall gain is (2/3)*(3)=2.

Second figure: With superposition (same principle with voltage division) we have
2V*(1/2)*(1+1)=2V and 1V*(1/2)*(1+1)=1V.
Hence, Vo=3V.

You make it look so simple! Thanks for all your help, I'll try the method out with other op amp circuits!

jim hardy said:
That's the answers, so i guess the question was "what is Vo?" as in title of thread ?

The way that always works for opamps is this
Write KVL for voltage at opamp's + input.
Write KVL for voltage at opamp's - input.
Set them equal, solve for Vo.

1st image:
Vat +input = 2/3 , do you see why ?
Vat - input = Vo/3 , do you see why ?
equate them, 2/3 = Vo/3 ,
multiply both sides by common denominator of 3 and you get 2= Vo, swap sides to get Vo=2 .
It's that easy .

2nd image
Vat +input = 1.5 , do you see why ?
Vat - input = Vo/2 , do you see why ?
equate them, 1.5 = Vo/2
multiply both sides by 2 and you get 3= Vo, swap sides to get Vo=3 .

The KVL equations for V at + and - inputs are seldom so convenient as in the examples you gave,
but that method always works and you ought to practice until it becomes intuitive.

Thoreau didn't know he was giving electronics advice when he wrote "Simplify Simplify."

old jim

If only my teacher had been as clear as you, thank you for all your help! I'll try to solve other op amp circuits now. Thank you!

Likes jim hardy

1. What is an op-amp?

An op-amp, short for operational amplifier, is an electronic component that amplifies the difference between two input voltages. It has a high gain and can be used in various applications such as amplifiers, filters, and comparators.

2. How do I find the output voltage (Vout) for an op-amp?

To find the output voltage of an op-amp, you will need to use the equation Vout = A * (V+ - V-), where A is the amplification factor and V+ and V- are the input voltages. A can be determined by the op-amp's datasheet, and V+ and V- can be measured using a multimeter.

3. What is the amplification factor (A) for an op-amp?

The amplification factor, also known as the gain, is a measure of how much the op-amp amplifies the input voltage difference. It is typically a high value, ranging from hundreds to thousands, and can be positive or negative depending on the op-amp's configuration.

4. How do I determine if an op-amp is inverting or non-inverting?

An op-amp is inverting if the output voltage is the opposite polarity of the input voltage, and non-inverting if the output voltage is the same polarity as the input voltage. This can be determined by looking at the op-amp's circuit diagram and observing the placement of the input and output terminals.

5. Can I use any op-amp to find Vout?

No, not all op-amps are created equal. Different op-amps have different specifications and capabilities, so it is important to refer to the datasheet to ensure that the op-amp you are using is suitable for your application. Using the wrong op-amp can result in incorrect output voltage and potentially damage the component.