Unveiling the Proof of Induced EMF Formula: E = ∫ (v x B) · dl

In summary: Maxwell's_equationsIn summary, the formula ##E = \int (\vec v \times \vec B) \cdot d \vec l## is a general formula that can be derived from Maxwell's equations and is applicable for calculating the energy per unit charge using the Lorentz force. It can also be applied to loop integrals, but it is important to use the correct form of Faraday's Law in integral form which includes the term for the induced electric field.
phantomvommand
TL;DR Summary
Why is ##E = \int (\vec v \times \vec B) \cdot d \vec l##?
Why is ##E = \int (\vec v \times \vec B) \cdot d \vec l##? This seems to be a general formula, and I would like to know its proof.

Thanks for all the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you familiar with the Lorentz force ?
Then the energy per unit charge (in SI units: Joule/Coulomb) follows from ##\int {\vec F\over q} \cdot d\vec l## .

PS it's a bit confusing to use the symbol ##E## for this; it's actually a potential difference (or emf)
$$\text {EMF} = V_{AB} = \int_A^B {\vec F\over q} \cdot d\vec l $$##\ ##

Likes phantomvommand
BvU said:
Are you familiar with the Lorentz force ?
Then the energy per unit charge (in SI units: Joule/Coulomb) follows from ##\int \vec F \cdot d\vec l## .

##\ ##
Yes, I am. Thanks for the help, I never realized this connection. I suppose this formula can be used in general? Would I be more accurate to use a loop integral instead of an integral?

phantomvommand said:
Yes, I am. Thanks for the help, I never realized this connection. I suppose this formula can be used in general? Would I be more accurate to use a loop integral instead of an integral?
The expression is correct, so it should be universally applicable (but for a loop I expect to get 0 : ##\ V_{AA}\equiv 0## ) .

Check out a few of the sections in the link (Force on a current-carrying wire, EMF).

##\ ##

As anything in electrodynamics the formula can be derived from Maxwell's equations in differential form, which are always valid. Here one integrates Faraday's Law (in SI units)
$$\vec{\nabla} \times \vec{E}=-\partial_t \vec{B}$$
over a surface ##A## with boundary curve ##\partial A## with the usual orientation of the path given by the right-hand rule.
$$\int_A \mathrm{d}^2 \vec{f} \cdot \vec{\nabla} \times \vec{E}=\int_{\partial A} \mathrm{d} \vec{r} \cdot \vec{E}=-\int_A \mathrm{d}^2 \vec{f} \cdot \partial_t \vec{B}.$$
Now the usual integral form of Faraday's Law is written in terms of the magnetic flux
$$\Phi_{B}=\int_{A} \mathrm{d}^2 \vec{f} \cdot \vec{B}.$$
If now the surface ##A## and its boundary ##\partial A## are time-dependent you have to use Reynold's transport theorem for surface integrals to take the time derivative. Together with ##\vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{B}## this leads to the ONLY generally correct form of Faraday's Law in integral form:
$$\mathcal{E}=\int_{\partial A} \mathrm{d} \vec{r} \cdot (\vec{E}+\vec{v} \times \vec{B})=-\dot{\Phi}_B=-\frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d} t} \Phi_B.$$
For a derivation of the corresponding Reynold's transport theorem, see

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday's_law_of_induction#Proof

Likes phantomvommand

1. What is the induced EMF formula and what does it represent?

The induced EMF formula, E = ∫ (v x B) · dl, represents the electromotive force (EMF) induced in a closed loop when it moves through a magnetic field. It is a mathematical representation of Faraday's law of induction, which states that a changing magnetic field induces an electric field.

2. How is the induced EMF formula derived?

The induced EMF formula is derived from the cross product of the velocity of the loop, v, and the magnetic field, B, integrated over the length of the loop, dl. This cross product represents the perpendicular component of the magnetic force acting on the moving charges in the loop, which in turn creates an induced electric field.

3. What are the units of the induced EMF formula?

The units of the induced EMF formula are volts (V), as EMF is measured in volts and the integral is a measure of the work done per unit charge in moving through the loop.

4. How is the induced EMF formula used in practical applications?

The induced EMF formula is used in various practical applications, such as generators, transformers, and electric motors. It helps to understand and predict the behavior of these devices, as well as calculate the amount of induced EMF in a given situation.

5. Are there any limitations to the induced EMF formula?

Yes, there are some limitations to the induced EMF formula. It assumes a uniform magnetic field and a closed loop, and does not take into account factors such as resistance and inductance. Additionally, it is a simplified version of Faraday's law and does not account for all the complexities of electromagnetic induction.