Upper bound for wavelength of a photon inside an infinite square well

In summary, the conversation discusses the limitations on a particle's momentum inside an infinitely square well (ISW) of width L, as well as the upper bound on the wavelength of a photon inside an ISW. The solution is found by solving for the four-potential in the radiation gauge with boundary conditions for an ideally conducting box. The maximum possible wavelength is shown to be 2L/c.
Kostik
TL;DR Summary
I need to show that a photon inside an ISW cannot have arbitrarily low momentum p=ℏω/c. In other words, I need an upper bound on the possible wavelength.
Obviously a particle inside an ISW of width L cannot have arbitrarily precise momentum because ΔP ≥ /2ΔX ≥ ℏ/2L. Therefore you cannot have a particle with arbitrarily low momentum, since that would require ΔP be arbitrarily small.

I need to show that a photon inside an ISW cannot have arbitrarily low momentum p=ω/c. In other words, I need an upper bound on the possible wavelength. My instinct says that the maximum wavelength must be connected to the size of the well L, but the photon doesn't have a size. How can I prove an upper bound on λ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Just solve for the four-potential in the radiation gauge, ##A^0=0##, ##\vec{\nabla}\cdot \vec{A}=0## with the boundary conditions for an ideally conducting box. You find the solution, e.g., in

J. Garrison and R. Chiao, Quantum optics, Oxford University
Press, New York (2008),
https://doi.org/10.1093/acprof:oso/9780198508861.001.0001

Likes Kostik
vanhees71 said:
You find the solution, e.g., in
J. Garrison and R. Chiao, Quantum optics, Oxford University
Press, New York (2008),
https://doi.org/10.1093/acprof:oso/9780198508861.001.0001

Thanks - I assume you mean Eqn. (2.15), p. 34, where they show that a photon inside a conducting ISW has quantized wave numbers k = nπc/L, therefore, its maximum possible wavelength is λ = 2π/k(1) = 2L/c. This is exactly what I need.

Likes vanhees71

1. What is an infinite square well?

An infinite square well is a theoretical model used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of a particle confined within a certain space. It is represented as a potential energy function that is infinite within a certain boundary and zero outside of it.

2. What is the upper bound for the wavelength of a photon inside an infinite square well?

The upper bound for the wavelength of a photon inside an infinite square well is equal to the length of the well. This is because the energy of a photon is directly proportional to its frequency, and in an infinite square well, the energy levels are quantized and limited by the size of the well.

3. How is the upper bound for the wavelength of a photon inside an infinite square well calculated?

The upper bound for the wavelength of a photon inside an infinite square well is calculated using the de Broglie wavelength formula, which states that the wavelength of a particle is equal to Planck's constant divided by its momentum. In an infinite square well, the momentum is determined by the energy levels of the particle, which are quantized and depend on the size of the well.

4. What happens to the upper bound for the wavelength of a photon if the size of the infinite square well is increased?

If the size of the infinite square well is increased, the upper bound for the wavelength of a photon will also increase. This is because a larger well allows for more energy levels, resulting in a wider range of possible wavelengths for the photon.

5. Can the upper bound for the wavelength of a photon inside an infinite square well be smaller than the size of the well?

No, the upper bound for the wavelength of a photon inside an infinite square well cannot be smaller than the size of the well. This is because the energy levels in the well are quantized and limited by the size of the well, so the smallest possible wavelength for a photon is equal to the size of the well.