Upper bound height and lower bound height of a 3-ary ordered tree

In summary: What does it mean: not necessarily complete, but three children? At each level, always, once?For an m-ary tree with height h, the upper bound for the maximum number of leaves is {\displaystyle m^{h}}.The height h of an m-ary tree does not include the root node, with a tree containing only a root node having a height of 0.The height of a tree is equal to the maximum depth D of any node in the tree.The total number of nodes {\displaystyle N} in a perfect m-ary tree is {\textstyle \sum _{i=0}^{h}m^{i}={\frac {m^{h+
fiksx
how to find upper bound height and lower bound height of 3-ary ordered tree that have leaves of 101? ( the tree don't have to be complete tree, but have to be have 3 children)
$$m^h \ge 101=3^h \ge 101$$

$$log \, m^h \ge 101=3^h \ge 101$$

$$h \ge 5$$

but how to know upper bound and lower bound of leaves?

edit: leaves at the last height is 3
$$3+2(n-1) \ge 101= 3+2n-2 \ge 101 = 2n-1 \ge 101= 2n \ge 100 = n \ge 50 $$

is this right?

[Moderator's note: Moved from a technical forum and thus no template.]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you give an example? What does it mean: not necessarily complete, but three children? At each level, always, once?

Upper bounds are easy to find: you only have to give an example.
Lower bounds are the difficult part: you have to find a height which is provable needed at least. For this we need a very accurate definition on all properties of the tree.

fresh_42 said:
Can you give an example? What does it mean: not necessarily complete, but three children? At each level, always, once?

Upper bounds are easy to find: you only have to give an example.
Lower bounds are the difficult part: you have to find a height which is provable needed at least. For this we need a very accurate definition on all properties of the tree.

this is the tree not necessary complete but have 3 children

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2019-11-22 02-10-00.png
    Screenshot from 2019-11-22 02-10-00.png
    7 KB · Views: 182
This could mean: At least three nodes on the lowest level, at least one node with three children, or at least one node with three children at each level. Which is true? And what is ##101##? Nodes in total? You have to be exact. Otherwise it is guesswork what we are doing here.

fresh_42 said:
This could mean: At least three nodes on the lowest level, at least one node with three children, or at least one node with three children at each level. Which is true? And what is ##101##? Nodes in total? You have to be exact. Otherwise it is guesswork what we are doing here.

the tree always have node with three children since it is ternary tree like in graph so it cannot have one child or two child
total leaves=101 not nodes

fiksx said:
... the tree always
always what? at each level once?
... have ...
a? anywhere? at the bottom?
... node with three children ...
fiksx said:
total leaves=101 not nodes
(what's the difference?)
Sorry. I do not understand you. Maybe someone else does.

fresh_42 said:
always what? at each level once?a? anywhere? at the bottom?
Sorry. I do not understand you. Maybe someone else does.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M-ary_tree

i found this.
  • For an m-ary tree with height h, the upper bound for the maximum number of leaves is {\displaystyle m^{h}}
    {\displaystyle m^{h}}
  • The height h of an m-ary tree does not include the root node, with a tree containing only a root node having a height of 0.
  • The height of a tree is equal to the maximum depth D of any node in the tree.
  • The total number of nodes {\displaystyle N}
    N
    in a perfect m-ary tree is {\textstyle \sum _{i=0}^{h}m^{i}={\frac {m^{h+1}-1}{m-1}}}
    {\textstyle \sum _{i=0}^{h}m^{i}={\frac {m^{h+1}-1}{m-1}}}
    , while the height h is
{\displaystyle {\begin{aligned}&{\frac {m^{h+1}-1}{m-1}}\geq N>{\frac {m^{h}-1}{m-1}}\\[8pt]&m^{h+1}\geq (m-1)\cdot N+1>m^{h}\\[8pt]&h+1\geq \log _{m}\left((m-1)\cdot N+1\right)>h\\[8pt]&h\geq \left\lceil \log _{m}((m-1)\cdot N+1)-1\right\rceil .\end{aligned}}}
{\displaystyle {\begin{aligned}&{\frac {m^{h+1}-1}{m-1}}\geq N>{\frac {m^{h}-1}{m-1}}\\[8pt]&m^{h+1}\geq (m-1)\cdot N+1>m^{h}\\[8pt]&h+1\geq \log _{m}\left((m-1)\cdot N+1\right)>h\\[8pt]&h\geq \left\lceil \log _{m}((m-1)\cdot N+1)-1\right\rceil .\end{aligned}}}
By the definition of Big-Ω, the maximum depth{\displaystyle D=h\geq \left\lceil \log _{m}((m-1)\cdot N+1)-1\right\rceil =O(\log _{m}n)=O(\log n/\log m)}
{\displaystyle D=h\geq \left\lceil \log _{m}((m-1)\cdot N+1)-1\right\rceil =O(\log _{m}n)=O(\log n/\log m)}

• The height of a complete m-ary tree with n nodes is {\textstyle \lfloor \log _{m}((m-1)\cdot n)\rfloor }
    {\textstyle \lfloor \log _{m}((m-1)\cdot n)\rfloor }
is this answer my question?

My confusion is not the common definitions, it comes from your conditions. The 3 children condition is simply not accurate enough to work with. At most is clear from ternary, but how many at least is totally unclear to me.

fresh_42 said:
My confusion is not the common definitions, it comes from your conditions. The 3 children condition is simply not accurate enough to work with. At most is clear from ternary, but how many at least is totally unclear to me.

what do you mean by at least? there is no at least, all node have 3 children . as you can see in the link i provide ,
"In graph theory, an m-ary tree (also known as k-ary or k-way tree) is a rooted tree in which each node has no more than m children. A binary tree is the special case where m = 2, and a ternary tree is another case with m = 3 that limits its children to three. "

a ternary tree is another case with m = 3 that limits its children to three.

is it clear enough ?

fiksx said:
what do you mean by at least? there is no at least, all node have 3 children . as you can see in the link i provide
1574360505092.png

I give up.

If there are n nodes, how many edges are there?
How many vertices?
How many leaves?
How quickly (adding fewest nodes) can you reach a given height? How slowly?

Likes SammyS
fresh_42 said:

m = 3 that limits its children to three. See the tree, it has children 3 for all nodes right , see the parent of the node in circle red , it has three children right
fresh_42 said:
ok maybe this will help, all node but lead nodes has m children where m=3 . Is it makes sense now?

haruspex said:
If there are n nodes, how many edges are there?
How many vertices?
How many leaves?
How quickly (adding fewest nodes) can you reach a given height? How slowly?
I know that to get the minimum height, the tree has timo be complete 3ary tree,where in each level is full right(?)

The complete tree is of minimal height for at least ##101## leaves. Now are there other trees with lower upper bounds? Are there trees with greater lower bounds?

1. What is an upper bound height and lower bound height of a 3-ary ordered tree?

An upper bound height of a 3-ary ordered tree refers to the maximum possible height that the tree can have. This means that no node in the tree can have a height greater than the upper bound height. On the other hand, a lower bound height of a 3-ary ordered tree is the minimum possible height that the tree can have. This means that at least one node in the tree must have a height equal to the lower bound height.

2. How is the upper bound height and lower bound height of a 3-ary ordered tree determined?

The upper bound height of a 3-ary ordered tree is determined by the total number of nodes in the tree. The formula for calculating the upper bound height is log3(n+1)-1, where n is the number of nodes. The lower bound height, on the other hand, is determined by the number of levels in the tree. The formula for calculating the lower bound height is log3(n) + 1, where n is the number of levels.

3. What is the significance of the upper bound height and lower bound height in a 3-ary ordered tree?

The upper bound height and lower bound height provide important information about the structure and size of a 3-ary ordered tree. They help in determining the maximum and minimum possible height of the tree, which can be useful in optimizing algorithms and data structures that rely on this type of tree. Additionally, the upper bound height and lower bound height can also be used to analyze the efficiency and performance of operations on the tree.

4. Can the upper bound height and lower bound height of a 3-ary ordered tree be the same?

Yes, it is possible for the upper bound height and lower bound height of a 3-ary ordered tree to be the same. This can occur when the number of nodes in the tree is equal to the number of levels, which means that every node has the maximum number of children and the tree is balanced. In this case, the upper bound height and lower bound height will both be equal to log3(n+1)-1.

5. How do the upper bound height and lower bound height of a 3-ary ordered tree affect its overall structure?

The upper bound height and lower bound height of a 3-ary ordered tree play a crucial role in determining its overall structure. The upper bound height limits the maximum height of the tree, which ensures that the tree does not become too tall and unbalanced. On the other hand, the lower bound height ensures that the tree has a minimum height, which helps in maintaining a balanced and efficient structure. These bounds also affect the time complexity of operations on the tree, as a taller tree would require more time for traversal and insertion compared to a shorter tree.