US F-35 Fighter Jet missing

• Thread starter .Scott
  • Start date
.Scott
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
TL;DR Summary
A $135.8M (replacement cost) Lightning II jet aircraft went missing over South Carolina after its pilot bailed out with the aircraft running on autopilot.
According to news reports, the plane was left on autopilot.
The "Joint Base Charleston" posted this on facebook:
Personnel from Joint Base Charleston and Marine Corps Air Station Beaufort(MCAS Beaufort SC)are responding to a mishap involving an F-35B Lightning II jet from Marine Fighter Attack Training Squadron (VMFAT) 501 with the 2nd Marine Aircraft Wing.
The pilot ejected safely and was transferred to a local medical center in stable condition. Emergency response teams are still trying to locate the F-35.
The public is asked to cooperate with military and civilian authorities as the effort continues.
If you have any information that would assist the recovery teams, please call the 2nd Marine Aircraft Wing Public Affairs Office at 252-466-3827.
This jet has a range of 1,036 miles - plus the normal margins for a safe landing.

Of course, this is a stealth fighter - design to thwart any attempts at detection. I wonder how good it really is?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yeah, it seems like it must have crashed into a lake somewhere, or you would think it would be easy to track down. It looks like the wingman from this 2-ship followed the parachuting pilot down to be sure that he was located, and did not follow the errant fighter jet...

At the time of writing, the search for the jet — or its remains — has focused on two lakes north of North Charleston, namely Lake Moultrie and Lake Marion, CBS News reported.

Nancy Mace, a local congresswoman tweeted on Sunday: "How in the hell do you lose an F-35? How is there not a tracking device and we're asking the public to what, find a jet and turn it in?"
https://www.businessinsider.com/us-military-asks-help-from-public-finding-missing-f-35-2023-9

They should search under the streetlamp (very old joke...I should be ashamed) Good that the pilot got out OK.

Likes DaveC426913
.Scott said:
This jet has a range of 1,036 miles - plus the normal margins for a safe landing.

berkeman said:
Yeah, it seems like it must have crashed into a lake somewhere,
Yeah. Lake Superior...

1695060039288.png

Likes hutchphd
If the student ran it out of fuel, it would be quiet, and not leave a column of smoke on land, or an oil slick on a lake.

Fuel exhaustion is very unlikely. There was likely someone on the ground as well as the wingman all tracking the fuel plan. On the other hand, fuel starvation would be possible.
I am both a pilot and a SW engineer. Personally, I suspect a SW or training issue.

.Scott said:
Fuel exhaustion is very unlikely. There was likely someone on the ground as well as the wingman all tracking the fuel plan. On the other hand, fuel starvation would be possible.
I am both a pilot and a SW engineer. Personally, I suspect a SW or training issue.
That would then be fool exhaustion?

• Haha
Likes berkeman and DaveC426913
hutchphd said:
That would then be fool exhaustion?
Yes "Fool Exhaustion", when there is plenty of fuel on board but you eject instead of sending pumping it to the engine.

On another note, this will cost US taxpayers the availability of an F-35B - but don't jump to the conclusion that this will cost those taxpayers that $135.8M replacement cost. Eventually it will. But in the mean time, it is saving $42,000 per flight hour - and with the Federal budget process and F-35B production already maxed out, it will be years (and likely thousands of lost flight hours) before it is replaced.

According to the F-35B wiki article, it relies on 8.6 million lines of Ada, C, and C++ code. So I'm thinking: an invisible plane, with vertical landing ability, and a mind of it's own has convinced its pilot to eject.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Likes Klystron, Tom.G, phinds and 1 other person
.Scott said:
According to the F-35B wiki article, it relies on 8.6 lines of Ada, C, and C++ code
That's pretty efficient code. 😁

• Haha
Likes DaveC426913, berkeman and FactChecker
If I find it first, @dlgoff ;s daughter is going to get one heck of a birthday present!

The "pilot" wasn't a pilot. The Marine Corps doesn't have pilots. They have aviators.

The wingman should have concentrated on the ejecting officer. That's his job. Besides, what's he going to do following an empty jet?
.Scott said:
erlies on 8.6 lines of Ada, C, and C++ code.
Wow. Must be strung together with lots of semicolons.

The plane almost certainly carried a transponder. Given the modernity of the jet, it almost certainly is cryptographically secure and can provide information like position. However, it is highly likely that there was some problem with the aircraft. Aviators don't just eject for the fun of it.

It is possible that the plane landed itself. After all, those nearly nine lines of code :wink: must do something. However, the earlier comment about damage applies.

.Scott said:
Of course, this is a stealth fighter - design to thwart any attempts at detection. I wonder how good it really is?
During normal, non-combat use, a stealth fighter has attachments to create a large radar cross-section. That allows it to be flown in practice and transport without giving away any RCS secrets.

• Informative
Likes berkeman
.Scott said:
According to the F-35B wiki article, it relies on 8.6 lines of Ada, C, and C++ code.
Ibix said:
That's pretty efficient code.
Vanadium 50 said:
Wow. Must be strung together with lots of semicolons.
I think we've found the root cause of the problem. 0.6 lines of code will almost always cause strange behavior...

• Haha
Likes Ibix, NTL2009 and FactChecker
The average family has 2.3 kids. I figured the 0.6 lines was written by two of the 0.3's.

• Haha
Likes Ibix, phinds and FactChecker
Pretty efficient kids

hutchphd said:
Pretty efficient kids
In the top 0.3 of their families.

• Haha
Likes phinds and hutchphd
.Scott said:
Personally, I suspect a SW or training issue.
Software? But it's Ada! We were promised Ada code is bug-free! DoD promised!

Likes FactChecker
Ibix said:
That's pretty efficient code. 😁
Or they used very long lines. I corrected the post.

Likes Ibix and hutchphd
Breaking news - They found it "two hours to the north". I thought it was us New Englanders that measured distances in units of time.

.Scott said:
Breaking news - They found it "two hours to the north". I thought it was us New Englanders that measured distances in units of time.
Link?

.Scott said:
I thought it was us New Englanders that measured distances in units of time.
And we Relativists.

Likes berkeman
.Scott said:
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/rcna105534
I was actually watching the CBS Evening news on TV.
Thanks. :smile:

The debris was discovered Monday evening about two hours northeast of Joint Base Charleston, an air base in North Charleston, officials said, without providing further details.

The jet was in autopilot mode when the pilot ejected from the aircraft, Jeremy Huggins, a spokesman at Joint Base Charleston, said. Authorities believed there was a possibility that it could have remained airborne for some time.

That's actually pretty scary if a stealth jet could just deadman through commercial airspace for a couple hours, with no return squawk to flight controllers and low radar visibility (modulo the comment above about radar visibility augmentation during training). It may be a lucky thing that it did not come close to unsuspecting commercial and private aircraft...

berkeman said:
It may be a lucky thing that it did not come close to unsuspecting commercial and private aircraft...
We don't know it's course yet. Did it fly over NYC?

berkeman said:
just deadman through commercial airspac
I dunno. Commercial airspace is pretty big. Collisions during cruise are pretty rare, and often caused by ATC goofs - not an issue in this case.

I think the bigger risk would be ig, for whatever reason, the plane decided to navigate itself somwhere with a lot of people and aircraft. Like CLT.

Vanadium 50 said:
the plane decided to navigate itself somwhere with a lot of people and aircraft. Like CLT.
I wonder if it's auto-landing software includes contacting the associated tower...

I'm not sure how "smart" the software is. The code base is ~30% the size of Firefox. I would hope that there is some way tp tell the plane how and where to put itself down, but I don't know for sure if it actually does this, nor how well if it does. We also don't know why the aviator ejected. Normally, they don't like to do this with a perfectly working aircraft.

berkeman said:
I wonder if it's auto-landing software includes contacting the associated tower...
Better to sneak up behind a refueling truck with that VTOL.

It is likely to include a Flight Management System that could be preprogrammed to complete a landing. But I have never heard of an FMS that can do radio work.

When motor vehicles first appeared in mass production numbers, there was a huge increase in fatal railway crossing accidents, because neither the vehicles nor the drivers had any horse-sense.

Back then, when a traveller was thrown by their horse, the rider would get back home, to find the horse waiting outside the stable. Dogs and bicycles are more loyal, and do not run off like that.

So how come, with all that code, did that F35 not go home and wait next to the fuel bowser. That would be the obvious place to look.

.Scott said:
Apparently "two hours northeast" means two hours by car.
And about two seconds by plane. :wink:

Seriously, it's an interesting distance. That means the plane was in the sky for some minutes after ejection. So whatever triggered the ejection left the plane in flying condition for some minutes. Wonder why the ejection happened when it did.

Likes russ_watters
... you guys never heard of the Cornfield Bomber, did you?

In 1970, an F-106 Delta Dart interceptor went into a flat spin during a training flight. Pilot fought it down to 15,000 feet, including deploying the drag chute to try and force the nose down. No luck. Dude punches out because by all rights the plane should be unrecoverable.

And yet, by ejecting, the plane pulled out of the flat spin. The change in CG, aerodynamics, and the rocket blast from the ejection seat caused the plane to recover, and given that part of the process the pilot went through was to trim it to a low-speed configuration and throttle back, it happily belly landed in a nearby cornfield.
F-106_unmanned_landing.jpg

Kicker of the whole thing is, they pulled the plane out of the field, shipped it to the maintenance depot, and they fixed it up and returned it to service, where it served the rest of the career of the type in 1986.

That exact airplane now sits in the National Museum of the US Air Force.

So yeah, punching out of a seemingly dead plane and having it go zombie isn't unheard of. Not going to pass any judgement until we hear more about the circumstances leading to his ejection.

That said, the fact that it's an F-35B, the STOVL variant, is interesting, because iirc, there's an automatic ejection seat initiation system that is supposed to detect a failure of the lift fan and eject the pilot, as there wouldn't be enough time for a human to react before the plane flipped over. Not saying that's what might have gone wrong, but it's a possibility that is unique in active-service aircraft.

• Informative
  • Wow
Likes DrClaude, Nugatory, Klystron and 4 others
.Scott said:
...in the mean time, it is saving $42,000 per flight hour - and with the Federal budget process and F-35B production already maxed out, it will be years (and likely thousands of lost flight hours) before it is replaced.
This gives me the mental image of a counter running all the time any plane is in the air, ticking over at 11.67 cents per second for each plane. I imagine they have a budget for any given military engagement. What if that budget runs out?

Time for a reimagining of THX-1138?

(If you don't get this reference we can't be friends.)

Flyboy said:
an F-106 Delta Dart i
If we are going to discuss the Century Series, why not the F-104 Lawn Dart?

If you want to own a F-104, what do you do? Buy a plot of land and wait.

• Haha
Likes DaveC426913 and berkeman
.Scott said:
I thought it was us New Englanders that measured distances in units of time.
Not quite the only ones. We here in Southern California are familiar with the term, especially during the three-hour long "rush hour."

Last edited:
My favorite directions when I lived in New England was "Well, if I were going there, I wouldn't start from here."

Back