Use of Entropy for a Control Volume in Energy Balance

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of entropy versus enthalpy for calculating internal energy in an open system with a constant control volume. It is questioned why entropy is used instead of enthalpy, as the equation for enthalpy (h = u + PΔv) would effectively be the same as the equation for internal energy (u) since the volume is constant. It is confirmed that in an open system with no heat transfer and negligible potential energy, the energy balance becomes W = ΔU or w = (h2 + ke2) - (h1 + ke1) with steady flow.
Acnhduy
Hi all,

I'm having some trouble figuring out why entropy is used instead of enthalpy for an open system.

From what I understand, an open system uses entropy to calculate internal energy. Since the control volume is constant (i.e. Δv = 0), wouldn't using : h = u + PΔv effectively be h = u? So in this case, wouldn't you use enthalpy instead of entropy since volume isn't changing?Just to confirm, in an open system like a turbine or something, with the assumption of no heat transfer and negligible potential energy, the energy balance becomes:

W = ΔU
W = m2(h2 + ke2 + pe2) - m1(h1 + ke1 + pe1)

... and with steady flow ...

w = (h2 + ke2) - (h1 + ke1)

Please let me know if I am misunderstanding something, thanks!

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
:frown:

1. What is entropy and how is it used in energy balance?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. In energy balance, it is used to quantify the amount of energy that is unavailable to do work. This is important in analyzing the efficiency of energy transfer and conversion processes.

2. How is entropy related to the second law of thermodynamics?

The second law of thermodynamics states that the total entropy of a closed system always increases over time. This means that energy will naturally flow from high-energy states to low-energy states, resulting in an increase in entropy. The use of entropy in energy balance helps to quantify this natural tendency towards disorder.

3. Can entropy be created or destroyed?

No, entropy is a conserved quantity and cannot be created or destroyed. It can only be transferred or converted from one form to another.

4. How is entropy calculated in a control volume?

In a control volume, the change in entropy is calculated by subtracting the sum of the entropy entering the volume from the sum of the entropy exiting the volume. This takes into account the transfer and conversion of energy within the control volume.

5. What are some practical applications of using entropy in energy balance?

Entropy is commonly used in engineering and thermodynamics to analyze the efficiency of energy systems, such as power plants and heat engines. It is also used in environmental science to study the flow of energy and nutrients in ecosystems. Additionally, entropy is an important concept in economics and social sciences, as it helps to understand the distribution and utilization of resources in society.