Use of hard drive magnets to build an MHD propulsion ship

In summary, the magnets in hard drives may not be powerful enough to create a thrust in an MHD engine, but they are small and relatively strong.
fRod57
Homework Statement
Building an mhd propulsion ship as a physics project
Relevant Equations
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5493298/
In order to build a small mhd propulsion ship for a physics project, I'm wondering if the magnets we find in hard drives carry enough magnetic field power to function in such an experiment.

Physics news on Phys.org
The thrust of a MHD motor depends on the field strength, the electric current you can produce and the
size of the volume creating the thrust. HD magnets are small limiting the volume but these magnets are relatively strong for their size. You can certainly demo MHD effect with these magnets but building a drive to move a relatively heavy floating object through water you may want to determine the trust with a relatively simple mock up first. You may need several pairs to generate enough thrust to demonstrate a scaled speed of say 8 mph. So a one foot model would need to move about 9 cm/sec .

Likes berkeman
fRod57 said:
Homework Statement:: Building an mhd propulsion ship as a physics project
Homework Equations:: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5493298/

In order to build a small mhd propulsion ship for a physics project, I'm wondering if the magnets we find in hard drives carry enough magnetic field power to function in such an experiment.
Often in Engineering and Applied Physics, early in a design you will be thinking thematically and about first principles. Can you think of a reason that large, powerful magnets (with fringing fields that are relatively hard to control) might be a liability for a Hard Disk Drive's electric motor section? And is there a need in most Hard Disk Drives to accelerate quickly (and hence need powerful magnets and a very strong electric motor to drive the disks)?

So if, thematically, you want strong magnets for this project, why would taking apart an old Hard Disk Drive probably be a bad idea? Can you say what other places you might find better candidate magnets for an MHD demonstration project? :smile:

Likes gleem
I think the powerful magnets drive the arm that moves the head (pretty fast I would guess). They are pretty strong.

• Informative
Likes berkeman
hutchphd said:
I think the powerful magnets drive the arm that moves the head (pretty fast I would guess). They are pretty strong.
But pretty small, no? I don't know offhand, but will check Google Images...

If I were going to try to build up an MHD demo, I think I know what kind of magnets I would use... :smile:

berkeman said:
If I were going to try to build up an MHD demo, I think I know what kind of magnets I would use...
Hint...

https://media.licdn.com/dms/image/C4E12AQGjK-3y_MvCBg/article-cover_image-shrink_600_2000/0?e=1583366400&v=beta&t=8AJEXHHaeKi083uVFH7pl9G5A8un-LCf35m95pj0Q0E

1578879740465.png

• Informative
Likes fRod57

1. How does using hard drive magnets contribute to the propulsion of an MHD ship?

The use of hard drive magnets in an MHD propulsion ship works by creating a magnetic field around the ship, which interacts with the surrounding ionized particles in space. This interaction generates a force that propels the ship forward.

2. What are the advantages of using hard drive magnets over traditional propulsion methods?

One advantage of using hard drive magnets is that they are more cost-effective compared to traditional propulsion methods, such as rocket engines. They also do not require any fuel, making them a more sustainable option for space travel.

3. Are hard drive magnets strong enough to propel a ship through space?

Yes, hard drive magnets are strong enough to generate a significant amount of force for propulsion in space. They have a high magnetic field strength and can be arranged in a way that maximizes their effectiveness.

4. How does the size of the hard drive magnets affect the propulsion of the ship?

The size of the hard drive magnets does play a role in the propulsion of the ship. Larger magnets have a stronger magnetic field and can generate more force, but they also require more energy to operate. Finding the optimal size for the magnets is crucial for efficient propulsion.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks or limitations to using hard drive magnets for MHD propulsion?

One limitation of using hard drive magnets for MHD propulsion is that they are only effective in space, where there are ionized particles to interact with. They may also require a significant amount of energy to operate, which could be a limiting factor for longer space journeys.