Use of Lagrange's equations in classical mechanics

In summary, the use of Lagrange's multipliers in variational calculus is similar to finding stationary points of functions under constraints. The only difference is that the function space is infinite-dimensional. The method can also be applied to discretized integrals, where the discretization of the variation can be seen as a dot product between the variation and the gradient in the function space. The book "Landau&Lifshitz vol. I" provides a proper treatment of this topic.
PrathameshR
I have been studying classical mechanics for a while from Goldstein book and can't go ahead of the following derivation. I understand the method of Lagrange's multipliers for getting extrima of a function subjected to equality constraints but can't understand it's relevance here because in that method we find "points" which give extremum value but here we want to find "function" which extrimizes a perticular integral.
20170913_195431-1.jpeg

In the 4rth line of 2nd paragraph it says that delta a 'subscript I ' may not be consistent with contraints , how is that possible?

In the title I ment use of Lagrange's "multipliers"

Physics news on Phys.org
Skip this chapter from Goldstein, at least if it comes to non-holonomous constraints since this is awfully flawed. Otherwise the idea of Lagrange multipliers is precisely the same in variational calculus (finding stationary points of functionals) as in finding stationary points of functions under constraints.

vanhees71 said:
Skip this chapter from Goldstein, at least if it comes to non-holonomous constraints since this is awfully flawed. Otherwise the idea of Lagrange multipliers is precisely the same in variational calculus (finding stationary points of functionals) as in finding stationary points of functions under constraints.
Can you suggest any good place where I can read a proper treatment of this topic?

It's in Landau&Lifshitz vol. I.

PrathameshR said:
but can't understand it's relevance here because in that method we find "points" which give extremum value but here we want to find "function" which extrimizes a perticular integral.
As @vanhees71 mentioned, it is just the same idea. In fact, the only difference is that your function space is infinite-dimensional whereas you have likely only seen the Lagrange multiplier method applied to finite-dimensional vector spaces before. As a heuristic argument, consider a discretisation of your integral
$$
\mathcal F = \int f(\phi(x),\phi'(x)) dx \to \Delta x \sum_{i = 1}^N f(\phi(x_i),[\phi(x_{i+1})-\phi(x_i)]/\Delta x) \equiv F(\vec \phi)
$$
where ##F## is some function of the function values ##\phi_i = \phi(x_i)##. Now think of the ##\phi_i## as the coordinates in ##\mathbb R^N##. It is rather easy to convince yourself that the partial derivative ##\partial F/\partial\phi_i## is just the discretisation of the functional derivative ##\delta \mathcal F/\delta\phi(x_i)## at ##x_i##. Furthermore, you therefore also have that the discretisation of the variation
$$
\delta \mathcal F = \int \frac{\delta F}{\delta \phi(x)} \delta\phi(x) dx
$$
is on the form
$$
\Delta x \sum_i \delta\phi_i \frac{\partial F}{\partial\phi_i} \propto \delta\vec \phi \cdot \nabla F,
$$
where ##\nabla## is the gradient in the space with coordinates ##\phi_i## and ##\delta\vec \phi## is a variation in that space.

If you are considering a vector space of functions, the entire argument for the Lagrange multiplier method that is used in a finite-dimensional vector space goes through without modification to the function space.

Likes vanhees71

1. What are Lagrange's equations?

Lagrange's equations are a set of equations used in classical mechanics to describe the motion of a system. They are based on the principle of least action and allow for a more general approach to solving problems in classical mechanics compared to Newton's laws.

2. How are Lagrange's equations derived?

Lagrange's equations are derived from the principle of least action, which states that the path a system takes between two points is the one that minimizes the action (the integral of the Lagrangian over time). The equations are based on the Lagrangian, which is a function of the system's coordinates, velocities, and time.

3. What is the advantage of using Lagrange's equations over Newton's laws?

Lagrange's equations offer a more general and elegant approach to solving problems in classical mechanics. They can be applied to systems with any number of particles and any number of constraints, and they do not require the use of external forces or acceleration. This makes them particularly useful in more complex systems.

4. Can Lagrange's equations be used in non-conservative systems?

Yes, Lagrange's equations can be used in both conservative and non-conservative systems. In non-conservative systems, the equations will include terms for non-conservative forces, such as friction or drag. This allows for a more comprehensive analysis of the system's motion.

5. Are Lagrange's equations used in any other fields of science?

Yes, Lagrange's equations have applications in many fields of science, including physics, engineering, and even economics. They are particularly useful in analyzing systems with multiple degrees of freedom, where traditional methods may be more difficult to apply.