Use of polarization to experimentally check photon mass?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of experimentally measuring an upper limit for the photon rest mass by setting up an experiment with polarizing sheets and measuring the intensity of a laser beam. The parameters of the experiment could be designed to make very fine measurements, but it is unclear if this experiment has been performed before. Further analysis of the parameters is necessary before proceeding with the experiment.
Bolhuso
Hi all!

I've checked Wikipedia and a related thread regarding experimentally measuring an upper limit for the photon rest mass:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photon#Experimental_checks_on_photon_mass
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/photon-rest-mass-0-wasnt-proven-experimentally.792583/

I was thinking of another experiment which may be possible to set up in laboratory conditions.

As I understand the specific polarization properties of the photon are related to its spin axis being oriented in the direction of its propagation, and this is only possible due to the photon having zero rest mass.

Based on this I was thinking of an experiment in which we first point a laser beam to a polarizing sheet and measure the intensity behind. Then we place another polarizing sheet some relevant long distance away (maybe we could simulate long distance with mirrors) and measure the intensity behind.

If they differ (after other factors have been accounted for) that would indicate that the spin axis is not exactly aligned with the direction of the propagation, and therefore the photon indeed has mass. If they don't (as I would expect), the parameters (distance...) of the experiment could be used to determine the upper limit to the photon mass.

I have not done a detailed analysis of the parameters, but I would expect that if the principles in this experiment are right, the parameters could be designed to be able to make very fine measurements.

As a matter of fact I can imagine that the actual experiment would require some fine calibration and maybe some slight redesign (e.g. to reduce the contribution of other effects to the dimming of the intensity, we could devise the experiment such as the second polariser can be rotated with high precision. In this case we would just need to find the angle, relative to the first polariser, at which the intensity is the max, instead of comparing intensities. It comes without saying that this would require to be able to precisely measure the angle at which both polarisers are set with high precision).

My question is: is anyone aware of such experiment (or a similar one) having been performed?

Specifically the paper in the other thread

https://www.princeton.edu/~romalis/PHYS312/Coulomb Ref/TuCoulomb.pdf

says in 3.2 "All those effects [polarization] are useful approaches for laboratory experiments", but in table 1 there is not mention of such experiment having been performed.

So, do you know if it has been done?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Bolhuso said:
I have not done a detailed analysis of the parameters

That's really your next step, then.

1. What is polarization and how is it used in experiments to check photon mass?

Polarization refers to the direction of the oscillation of an electromagnetic wave. In experiments to check photon mass, polarization is used to control the direction of the electric and magnetic fields of the photons being studied. This allows researchers to observe any changes in the properties of the photons, such as mass, as a result of their polarization.

2. Why is it important to experimentally check the mass of photons?

The mass of photons is a fundamental property of these particles and is key to our understanding of the behavior of light and electromagnetic radiation. Experimentally checking the photon mass helps to confirm and refine existing theories and models, and can potentially lead to new discoveries and advancements in physics.

3. How is the polarization of photons measured in experiments?

There are several techniques used to measure the polarization of photons in experiments, including polarizers, waveplates, and interferometers. These devices manipulate the polarization of the photons and allow researchers to measure their properties, such as their mass, with high precision.

4. Can the mass of photons be changed through polarization?

No, the mass of photons is a fundamental property and cannot be changed through polarization. However, by polarizing photons and observing their behavior, researchers can gain insight into the mass of these particles and how it may interact with other fundamental forces and particles.

5. What are the potential implications of experimental evidence for a non-zero photon mass?

If experimental evidence were to show that photons do have a non-zero mass, it would have significant implications for our understanding of the universe. It could challenge existing theories and open up new avenues for research into the fundamental nature of light and the forces that govern it. It could also have practical applications in fields such as astrophysics, telecommunications, and quantum computing.