Use of wind powered turbine in cars ?

In summary: Most definitely. You ever see those Dutch bikes, Whikes? They cruise under constant winds. Wind power is directly transmitted to the car shaft. This is too weak to allow an electrical generator and an electrical drive inbetween.
alok_tandon
use of wind powered turbine in cars ??

helloo.. I'm just thinking to build an wind turbine powered car using with electric motor like an hybrid car .. there are certain question arises in my mind are .. that the use of turbine as a source of energy will be efficient or just theoritical concept as will there be too much drag and will the power generated will be too less and how much of dia should i need of turbine blades for making an average small one person car ... and even I'm thinking of using regenrative breaking as Electric motors also allow us to use the magic of regenerative breaking .. will it be possible ?? and even will it be economical ?? please if any knows about it ..

Engineering news on Phys.org

You likely will be more efficient with a sail.

Conservation of energy says a wind turbine cannot power a moving car (utilizing its own relative wind).

yeah i know it totally can't depends upon it . but there are certain cars even like wind proppelled car racing oocurs every year like ventomobile designed by University of Stuttgart students. It won the first prize at the Racing Aeolus held at Den Helder, Netherlands.
and even these

The Wind-powered vehicle "Spirit of Amsterdam 1" and "Spirit of Amsterdam 2" is, just like the Ventomobile, a WPV build by the Hogeschool van Amsterdam (University of Applied Science Amsterdam). In 2009 & 2010 the Spirit of Amsterdam 1 and 2 won first prize at the Racing Aeolus held in Denmark .

The Spirit of Amsterdam 2 is the second vehicle built by the Hogeschool van Amsterdam. It uses a wind turbine to capture the wind velocity and uses mechanical power to propel the vehicle against the wind. This vehicle is capable of driving 6.6 meters per second with a 10 meter per second wind

check out it ..

http://www.spiritofamsterdam.nl/assets/2010/Race-Report-2010.pdf

i'm just asking is it feasible as in my country the air usually quiet slow ..

I agree, those cars would probably be better off with a sail. Then they could go 10m/s in a 10m/s wind.

Travis_King said:
I agree, those cars would probably be better off with a sail. Then they could go 10m/s in a 10m/s wind.

They could go faster.

Borek said:
They could go faster.

Most definitely. You ever see those Dutch bikes, Whikes? They cruise under constant winds.

Wind power is directly transmitted to the car shaft. This is too weak to allow an electrical generator and an electrical drive inbetween.

1. How does a wind powered turbine work in cars?

A wind powered turbine in cars works by harnessing the kinetic energy of wind and converting it into mechanical energy, which can then be used to power the car. The turbine is typically mounted on the roof or hood of the car and consists of blades that rotate when wind passes through them. This rotation then drives a generator, which produces electricity to power the car's motor.

2. What are the benefits of using wind powered turbines in cars?

There are several benefits of using wind powered turbines in cars. First, it can reduce the reliance on fossil fuels and decrease carbon emissions, making it a more environmentally friendly option. Additionally, wind is a renewable energy source, meaning it will never run out. It can also potentially save drivers money on fuel costs in the long run.

3. Are there any limitations to using wind powered turbines in cars?

Yes, there are some limitations to using wind powered turbines in cars. One major limitation is the dependence on wind speed and direction for the turbine to generate enough energy to power the car. This means that the car may not be able to travel at consistent speeds and may not be suitable for long distance driving. Additionally, the added weight and drag of the turbine may also affect the car's overall performance.

4. Can wind powered turbines be used in all types of cars?

Not all types of cars may be suitable for wind powered turbines. The design and placement of the turbine may vary depending on the car's make and model. For example, a small, lightweight car may not be able to support the weight of the turbine, while a larger, more powerful car may be better suited for it. It is important to consult with a professional and consider the specific requirements before installing a wind powered turbine in a car.

5. How does the use of wind powered turbines in cars impact the overall efficiency of the vehicle?

The use of wind powered turbines in cars may impact the overall efficiency of the vehicle in several ways. On one hand, the use of renewable energy can reduce the reliance on fossil fuels and decrease carbon emissions, making it more efficient from an environmental standpoint. However, as mentioned earlier, the added weight and drag of the turbine may also affect the car's performance and fuel efficiency. It is important to carefully consider the trade-offs and potential impacts before implementing wind powered turbines in cars.