Use the energy method to find the distance moved by particle

In summary, the energy method is used to find the distance traveled by a particle when only the initial and final energy states are known. The steps to use this method are to identify the initial and final energy states, calculate the difference in energy, use this energy difference to find the work done, and then determine the distance moved. The energy method involves both kinetic and potential energy, and can be used for any type of particle as long as the initial and final energy states are known. However, it has limitations such as assuming that all work is converted to kinetic energy and assuming a constant force acting on the particle.
chwala
Gold Member
Homework Statement
A particle with mass ##0.4## kgs is projected with a speed of ##12## m/s up a line of greatest slope of a smooth plane inclined at ##30^0## to the horizontal.

i. Find the initial kinetic energy of the particle.

ii. Use an energy method to find the distance moved by the particle up the plane before coming to instantaneous rest.
Relevant Equations
kinetic energy
This is from an examination paper -A level. My interest is on part (ii). Ok my take;

i. ##KE_{initial} = \dfrac {1}{2} mu^2= \dfrac {1}{2}× 0.4 ×12^2=28.8## Joules.

ii. ##\dfrac {1}{2} mv^2=\dfrac {1}{2} mu^2-mgh##

##0=28.8-(0.4×10×h)## where h is the vertical perpendiculor distance.

##h=\dfrac{28.8}{4}=7.2##

It follows that;

##\sin 30^0=\dfrac{7.2}{s}##

##s=7.2×2=14.4## m

where ##s## is the distance travelled by the particle before coming to rest.

Your insight appreciated.

Mark scheme solution here

1671442190743.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks fine to me.

Likes chwala

1. How do you use the energy method to find the distance moved by a particle?

The energy method involves calculating the potential and kinetic energy of a particle at different points in its motion. By equating the initial and final energies, you can solve for the distance moved by the particle.

2. What is the formula for calculating the potential energy of a particle?

The potential energy of a particle is given by the formula PE = mgh, where m is the mass of the particle, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the particle above a reference point.

3. How is kinetic energy related to the speed of a particle?

Kinetic energy is directly proportional to the square of the speed of a particle. This means that as the speed of a particle increases, its kinetic energy also increases.

4. Can the energy method be used for any type of motion?

Yes, the energy method can be used for any type of motion as long as the particle's potential and kinetic energy can be calculated at different points in its motion.

5. Are there any limitations to using the energy method to find the distance moved by a particle?

One limitation of the energy method is that it assumes no external forces act on the particle other than gravity. It also assumes that the potential and kinetic energy of the particle are conserved throughout its motion.