Usefulness of a low energy cyclotron

In summary, the PF thinks that a very small basement cyclotron in the 10-100 keV range with very low beam intensity (microamps) is possible, with some safety concerns to be aware of. He is unsure if it is worth the time and effort to build such a cyclotron, and if it is not, what the smallest cyclotron output that would be interesting is.
Snow510
I'm exploring building a very small basement cyclotron. I have a solid professional electrical engineering background; the only major new technology for me would be the ultra-high vacuum, so I think it's at least possible. I've been going through Humphries' Principles of Charged Particle Acceleration and other online sources to get background information.

To keep things manageable, I was thinking of a very low energy proton cyclotron, e.g. in the 10-100 keV range, and very low beam intensity (microamps). The low output requirements would allow for sloppy/inefficient beam extraction from the Dees, small magnets, poor beam focusing, and likely many other bad design elements I wouldn't even be aware of, and yet still get some protons out of it roughly going in the same direction.

Are there any interesting amateur uses for a basement cyclotron in that range? Any nuclear reactions possible? I'm not asking how to build such a cyclotron, but rather, if I did, what's possible at that level? I'd like to set the design goals for the minimum output energy and intensity possible where it could still produce interesting results with some targets.

Physics news on Phys.org
Snow510 said:
I'm exploring building a very small basement cyclotron. I have a solid professional electrical engineering background; the only major new technology for me would be the ultra-high vacuum, so I think it's at least possible. I've been going through Humphries' Principles of Charged Particle Acceleration and other online sources to get background information.

To keep things manageable, I was thinking of a very low energy proton cyclotron, e.g. in the 10-100 keV range, and very low beam intensity (microamps). The low output requirements would allow for sloppy/inefficient beam extraction from the Dees, small magnets, poor beam focusing, and likely many other bad design elements I wouldn't even be aware of, and yet still get some protons out of it roughly going in the same direction.

Are there any interesting amateur uses for a basement cyclotron in that range? Any nuclear reactions possible? I'm not asking how to build such a cyclotron, but rather, if I did, what's possible at that level? I'd like to set the design goals for the minimum output energy and intensity possible where it could still produce interesting results with some targets.
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

What kinds of safety issues do you see that you will need to deal with in this proposed project? Have you worked with X-rays and unintentional EM radiation in the past? What experience do you have with vacuum vessel construction and safety?

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

What kinds of safety issues do you see that you will need to deal with in this proposed project? Have you worked with X-rays and unintentional EM radiation in the past? What experience do you have with vacuum vessel construction and safety?

The most obvious safety issue is the HV drive to the Dees. I wouldn't expect much X-ray output with proton acceleration, but I'd be happy to read any references about that. From what I've read, most of the radiation hazard would be from protons directly and neutrons from proton collisions. If I actually got that far, shielding would probably be either large blocks/sheets of paraffin, or borax water in stackable HDPE containers.

I don't have any X-ray experience, but do have quite a bit of professional experience with unintentional EM radiation from an RF standpoint (e.g. FCC/CE emissions testing, not safety), and also UL testing with high voltage systems.

I don't have any vacuum experience to speak of. After spending a few weeks reading the fusor.net forums, the Bell Jar archives, etc. I've just started to experiment with home made vacuum chambers, but it would take quite some time (and investment) before I could achieve UHV levels, especially since I'd be TIG welding parts of this myself.

Anyway, before I proceeded further with an up-front analysis of what's required in terms of cost, skills needed, likelihood of success, etc. I wanted to investigate if it's worthwhile even in the best case. If, after all that time and effort, a very small cyclotron isn't that useful or interesting for any amateur recreation, there's no point in going further even with a paper design. Or, another way of asking the question is, what's the smallest cyclotron output that would be interesting? 5 keV? 50 keV? 0.1 uA intensity? An absolute minimum output spec would let me do some order of magnitude estimates on the rest of the project, and help determine if it's feasible or not in basement environment. I'd define that roughly as under 6 kW of total input power (magnets + RF), and within a 14x14 foot space (including any shielding).

Any thoughts?

Likes berkeman

What is a low energy cyclotron and why is it useful?

A low energy cyclotron is a type of particle accelerator used in scientific research. It is useful because it can accelerate particles to high energies, allowing scientists to study their properties and interactions.

How does a low energy cyclotron work?

A low energy cyclotron works by using strong magnetic fields to guide charged particles in a circular path. As the particles circulate, they are accelerated by the electric fields in the machine.

What types of research can be conducted using a low energy cyclotron?

A low energy cyclotron can be used in a variety of research fields, including nuclear physics, medical imaging, and materials science. It can also be used to produce medical isotopes for cancer treatment.

What are the advantages of using a low energy cyclotron over other types of particle accelerators?

One advantage of a low energy cyclotron is its compact size, making it more affordable and easier to operate compared to larger particle accelerators. It also has the ability to accelerate particles to specific energies, making it useful for a wide range of experiments.

Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using a low energy cyclotron?

One limitation of a low energy cyclotron is that it can only accelerate particles up to a certain energy level, limiting its use in certain types of research. Additionally, the high operating costs and maintenance requirements may make it less accessible for smaller research facilities.