Using a SR flip-flop to make a particular circuit

• Engineering
  • Thread starter bdh2991
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuit Sr
In summary, the NL flip-flop has a characteristic table where if N is 0, the flip-flop stays in its current state, and if N is 1, the next state is equal to the value of L. To convert an SR flip-flop to a NL flip-flop, we can add a gate and an inverter. However, using a JK flip-flop may be a better option to avoid undefined states.
bdh2991

Homework Statement

A Null-Lobur flip-flop (NL flip-flop) behaves as follows: If N = 0, the flip-flop does not change state. If N = 1, the next state of the flip-flop is equal to the value of L.

a) Derive the characteristic table for the NL flip-flop.

b) show how an SR flip-flop can be converted to a NL flip-flop by adding gate(s) and inverter(s).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe i got part a right which is:

if N is 0 and L is 0, Q(t+1) = Q(t) -> no change
if N is 0 and L is 1, Q(t+1) = Q(t) -> no change
if N is 1 and L is 0, Q(t+1) = 0 -> L
if N is 1 and L is 1, Q(t+1) = 1 -> LHowever, I really am not sure at all on how to do the second part. My professor hasn't done any examples like this and I had no luck searching through the book. Any help on how to go about doing this other then just guess and check (which would take forever)?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think I actually figured it out but using a JK flip flop rather than only an SR flip- flop...

10ib53r.jpg

Not sure how to fix the undefined issue with 1 - 1 going into the SR without using the JK...any suggestions?

1. What is an SR flip-flop and how does it work?

An SR flip-flop is a type of digital logic gate that has two inputs, S (set) and R (reset), and two outputs, Q (output) and Q̅ (inverted output). When the S input is set to 1, the Q output is set to 1. Similarly, when the R input is set to 1, the Q output is reset to 0. The output remains in its current state when both inputs are set to 0. This allows the flip-flop to store and remember a single bit of information.

2. What is the purpose of using an SR flip-flop in a circuit?

An SR flip-flop is commonly used in digital circuits to store a single bit of data, which can then be used to control other components or circuits. It is also used to create sequential logic circuits, where the output of one flip-flop is connected to the input of another, allowing for more complex operations to be performed.

3. How do you make a particular circuit using an SR flip-flop?

To make a circuit using an SR flip-flop, you will need to first determine the logic function that you want the circuit to perform. Then, you can use a truth table or a Karnaugh map to determine the appropriate inputs for the S and R inputs of the flip-flop. These inputs can then be connected to the appropriate components in the circuit, and the output of the flip-flop can be used to control other components.

4. What are the advantages of using an SR flip-flop in a circuit?

One of the main advantages of using an SR flip-flop in a circuit is its ability to store a single bit of data, allowing for more complex sequential operations to be performed. It also has a simple and straightforward design, making it easy to implement in various digital circuits. Additionally, it is a commonly available and inexpensive component, making it a popular choice for digital logic circuits.

5. What are the limitations of using an SR flip-flop in a circuit?

One limitation of using an SR flip-flop is the possibility of a "race condition," where both inputs are set to 1 simultaneously, causing the output to be unpredictable. To avoid this, additional components, such as a clock signal, may be needed to control when the inputs can change. Additionally, the SR flip-flop can only store a single bit of data, so more complex operations may require multiple flip-flops and additional components.