Using a stone to hunt down an animal with Centripetal Forces

In summary, the rock is not hit by the vine if it is at a distance of less than 2.0m from the vine when it breaks.
totallyclone

Homework Statement

A bushman wants to hunt down a kangaroo so he uses a vine which is 2.0m long with a rock tied to the end of it. The bushman holds the other hand above his head which is 2.0m above the ground. The kangaroo observes that when the angle with the vine and vertical reaches 60°, the vine breaks. So, what's the minimum distance for the rock not to hit the kangaroo?

θ = 60°
vine length = 2.0m

Y-component initial = 2.0m
Y-component final = 0.0m

Homework Equations

ac = V2/r

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew a diagram of it and put in the data I know so far.
tumblr_mjxzwoGQhc1qe908uo1_500.jpg

I thought of this question for a bit and I feel like this question requires the concept of projectile motion (when the vine breaks and the rock flies to the kangaroo) and centripetal forces (because the rock is being spun tied to a vine).

The thing is, if I try to find acceleration here, it would be the perpendicular acceleration but when the vine breaks, wouldn't the acceleration that would be affecting the rock by then is a parallel acceleration because it does not go in a circle anymore?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Additional info: the stone is being spun horizontally

Despite the detailed diagram, it's not clear what plane the rock is spinning in.

Alright so after a few days of thinking about this. I learned that my diagram is wrong because it would be impossible for the angle to angle up. So the 60° angles down making it look like it's spinning in the shape of a cone.

Since this question involves the concept of centripetal forces and projectile motion. This is was I found.

Y-initial=2-2cos60°
=1m
So when the vine breaks off, it starts off 1m above the ground.

Since the rock spins horizontally, it has no acceleration in the vertical component. Force of tension will have X and Y-components.

haruspex said:
Despite the detailed diagram, it's not clear what plane the rock is spinning in.

So this is my corrected diagram. The changes made:
60° angles down, rather than up
Initial position of Y-component when it breaks changes to 1m

Attachments

• 1364240173748.jpg
    1364240173748.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 419
haruspex said:

And this is the fbd of the rock :)

Attachments

• 1364240337614.jpg
    1364240337614.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 395

1. How does using a stone to hunt down an animal with Centripetal Forces work?

Using a stone to hunt down an animal with Centripetal Forces involves throwing the stone in a circular motion around a central point. This creates a centripetal force that pulls the stone towards the center, allowing it to travel in a curved path and potentially hit the animal.

2. What animals can be hunted using Centripetal Forces with a stone?

Centripetal Forces with a stone can be used to hunt a variety of animals, including birds, small mammals, and even larger animals like deer or wild boar. However, the size and speed of the animal will affect the accuracy and effectiveness of the hunting technique.

3. Are there any safety concerns when using Centripetal Forces to hunt with a stone?

Yes, there are some safety concerns to consider when using Centripetal Forces to hunt with a stone. The stone can potentially ricochet or fly in an unintended direction, so it is important to have a clear and open space when using this hunting technique. It is also important to have proper training and skill in throwing the stone to avoid any accidents.

4. What are the advantages of using Centripetal Forces with a stone for hunting?

One advantage of using Centripetal Forces with a stone for hunting is that it does not require any special equipment or tools. Stones can be easily found in nature and the technique itself does not require much physical strength. It is also a silent hunting method, making it ideal for hunting in stealth.

5. Are there any limitations to using Centripetal Forces with a stone for hunting?

One limitation of using Centripetal Forces with a stone for hunting is that it requires a high level of skill and practice to accurately hit the target. The size and speed of the animal can also affect the effectiveness of this hunting technique. Additionally, certain environments or terrain may not be suitable for using Centripetal Forces with a stone for hunting, such as thick forests or rocky terrain.