Using an IR Thermal Gun to check for steam passing valves

In summary, the conversation revolves around the reliability of using a thermal gun to check for passing downstream a valve for either steam or air. The person is unsure if this method is reliable and is seeking clarification on how to use it. They are also asking for suggestions on how to compare the results with different valve positions and what to do when the valve is pneumatically actuated with no manual handle.
Aptx4869
Greetings

I am asking about the reliability of using a thermal gun to check if there is passing downstream the valve. The fluid is either steam or air. Wouldn’t the pressure and temperature drop sharply downstream the valve if it is closed but passing ? again I am talking about air or steam. How the thermal gun can be used then ?? It is used in my plant for steam and they told me they use it for air also. I don’t know if this method is reliable or not

Science news on Phys.org
Aptx4869 said:
Greetings

I am asking about the reliability of using a thermal gun to check if there is passing downstream the valve. The fluid is either steam or air. Wouldn’t the pressure and temperature drop sharply downstream the valve if it is closed but passing ? again I am talking about air or steam. How the thermal gun can be used then ?? It is used in my plant for steam and they told me they use it for air also. I don’t know if this method is reliable or not

Why don't you just try it out?
Look at a closed valve.
Look at a fully opened valve.
Look at a slightly opened valve.
Compare.

Likes russ_watters
A.T. said:
Why don't you just try it out?
Look at a closed valve.
Look at a fully opened valve.
Look at a slightly opened valve.
Compare.

Kindly, elaborate please.

Before making comparison, someone must have something in his mind (idea).

What I understood is that I open the valve by (lets say 0.5 or 1%) and compare it with fully closed position. Do you mean if the valve is passing then fully closed and 1% opening valve will be similar to some degree ?

Also, we have some valves that are either fully closed or fully open (pneumatically actuated) and they don't have manual handle. what to do in this case ?

Last edited:

1. How does an IR Thermal Gun work for checking steam passing valves?

An IR Thermal Gun uses infrared technology to detect temperature differences on surfaces. When pointed at a valve, it measures the temperature of the valve and the surrounding area. If there is a difference between the two, it could indicate that steam is passing through the valve.

2. Why is it important to check for steam passing valves?

Steam passing valves can indicate leaks in a system, which can lead to energy and cost losses. It can also be a safety hazard if the steam is not properly contained and controlled.

3. What are the advantages of using an IR Thermal Gun for this task?

An IR Thermal Gun allows for non-contact and non-invasive measurement, making it a safe and efficient method for checking steam passing valves. It also provides quick results and can detect small temperature differences that may not be visible to the naked eye.

4. Are there any limitations to using an IR Thermal Gun for this task?

IR Thermal Guns may not be able to accurately measure the temperature of valves that are covered in insulation or have a reflective surface. Additionally, external factors such as wind or drafts can affect the readings.

5. How often should steam passing valves be checked using an IR Thermal Gun?

The frequency of checks will depend on the specific system and its usage. However, it is recommended to perform regular checks, at least once a month, to ensure that any potential leaks or issues are detected and addressed promptly.