Using ATMega324P to Generate Audio Tone

• Thread starter peterpiper
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Audio
In summary, the conversation is about using an ATMega324P with fastPWM to generate an audio tone using predetermined tones and values for the registers involved. The issue is that after a certain amount of time, the signal randomly stops and then restarts again. The solution involves setting up for pwm, delaying milliseconds, and disabling the speaker when the tone is done playing. The cause of the random stops and restarts is unclear, but it is suggested that it could be due to the use of the delay_milliseconds function and alternative methods are requested for preventing this issue.
peterpiper

Homework Statement

I'm needing to use an ATMega324P with fastPWM to generate an audio tone which gets sent to a piezo speaker. I'm generating a signal with a set of predetermined tones with an attached value for the various registers involved in fastPWM. tone is the variable associated with the actual note (A#6, Bb5, etc) while freq_count is the actual number being used to create the appropriate duty cycle. I have a 1/64 prescaler on.

OCR1A = freq_count[tone] / 2;
ICR1H = freq_count[tone]>>8;
ICR1L = freq_count[tone] & 0x00FF;

My issue so far is that after a certain amount of time, the signal randomly stops and then restarts again after a few seconds.

Now I have an array of values that play a song that get fed to the above registers. When I say my signal stops and restarts I mean that the traversal through the array and the appropriate delay that the sound would have been played passes, but there just isn't any sound until it randomly comes back at a later tone. Any ideas why this might be?

The Attempt at a Solution

Code:
DDRD |= 0x20;

//Set up for pwm.
OCR1A = freq_count[tone] / 2;
ICR1H = freq_count[tone]>>8;
ICR1L = freq_count[tone] & 0x00FF;

//Because of processor speed, delaying milliseconds gives the appropriate time.
//The set up for play_tone takes only 80 ns so the delay is adequate.
delay_milliseconds(note_time);

//Disable Speaker when tone is done playing.
DDRD &= 0xDF;

tone and note_time are given as parameters to the function which is supposed to play each note. If more code needs to be seen, just say so.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure why it's randomly stopping and restarting after a certain amount of time though. Could it be because of the delay_milliseconds function? Is there a better way to do this that would prevent it from stopping? Any help would be appreciated.

Related to Using ATMega324P to Generate Audio Tone

1. How can I use the ATMega324P to generate an audio tone?

The ATMega324P microcontroller has built-in pulse width modulation (PWM) functionality that can be used to generate audio tones. This is accomplished by configuring one of the PWM channels to output a square wave at the desired frequency and adjusting the duty cycle to control the volume.

2. What is the maximum frequency that can be generated using the ATMega324P?

The maximum frequency that can be generated using the ATMega324P is determined by the clock speed and the prescaler value. With a 16 MHz clock and a prescaler of 1, the maximum frequency is 8 MHz. However, the recommended range for generating audio tones is between 20 Hz to 20 kHz, which can be achieved with a lower prescaler value or by using a timer interrupt.

3. How do I adjust the volume of the audio tone?

The volume of the audio tone can be adjusted by changing the duty cycle of the PWM signal. A higher duty cycle will result in a louder sound, while a lower duty cycle will result in a quieter sound. This can be done by adjusting the compare value of the PWM channel or by using an analog pin to control the duty cycle.

4. Can I generate multiple audio tones simultaneously with the ATMega324P?

Yes, the ATMega324P has multiple PWM channels that can be configured to generate different audio tones simultaneously. However, keep in mind that the more PWM channels being used, the lower the maximum frequency that can be achieved.

5. Is it possible to generate different types of audio tones, such as square, sine, or triangle waves?

Yes, the ATMega324P can generate different types of audio tones by adjusting the waveform generation mode of the PWM channel. This can be done by setting the correct bits in the control registers. For example, to generate a sine wave, the Fast PWM mode with a Clear Timer on Compare Match (CTC) setting can be used.