Using Calculator photos in my article?

In summary, the conversation is about a person trying to publish a paper and receiving a moderate revision. However, they have encountered a problem where the publisher believes they may have used previously published material in their article. The paper is about using a technique created by the person using a calculator app and screenshots. The publisher is requesting a "request for permission" to use the material, but the person is unsure of how to obtain it. They also ask if it is possible to replace the photos with screens or a sketch diagram in order to resubmit the article. It is suggested for the person to discuss this issue with the editors for clarification.
patric44
hi guys
I am trying to publish a paper and finally it got a moderate revision, but there is a little problem :
after submitting the revisions which wasn't much, I received an email from the publisher saying "We notice that you may have used previously published material in your article" , the paper was about using some technique i created using Calculators to solve a complicated equation, i download a Casio calculator app and used screen shots from it for the instructions?
is that a copyright violation, I don't understand how is that is a previously published material ?
the publisher need a "request for permission" but i don't know how to get one ? i mean should i contact Casio company?
- would it be possible to replace all the Casio calculator photos on my article with the screens only or maybe a sketch diagram using Photoshop? and resubmit the article?

Physics news on Phys.org
Rather than have us guess, it would be better for you to discuss this with the editors.

1. How can I use calculator photos in my article?

Calculator photos can be used in your article by either taking your own photos or using stock photos. If you take your own photos, make sure they are clear and in focus. If you use stock photos, make sure you have the proper licensing and give credit to the photographer.

2. Can I edit calculator photos before using them in my article?

Yes, you can edit calculator photos before using them in your article. However, make sure you are not altering the content of the photo in a misleading way. This could be considered unethical and could lead to copyright issues.

3. Do I need to cite the source of the calculator photos in my article?

Yes, it is important to cite the source of the calculator photos in your article. This ensures that you are giving credit to the original creator and avoiding any potential copyright infringement. It also adds credibility to your article.

4. Are there any copyright restrictions when using calculator photos in my article?

Yes, there may be copyright restrictions when using calculator photos in your article. If you are using stock photos, make sure you have the proper licensing and follow any restrictions set by the photographer. If you are taking your own photos, make sure you have permission from the owner of the calculator or any trademarks that may be visible in the photo.

5. Can I use calculator photos for commercial purposes in my article?

It depends on the licensing of the calculator photos you are using. If you are using stock photos, make sure you have the appropriate commercial use license. If you are taking your own photos, make sure you have permission from the owner of the calculator or any trademarks that may be visible in the photo. It is always best to err on the side of caution and obtain proper permission or licensing for commercial use.