Using center of mass for loop de loop

In summary, the conversation discusses using the center of mass to solve the classic loop de loop problem, instead of just using the distance from the loop to the surface of the object. It is agreed that this method makes more sense for calculating changes in gravitational potential energy. However, the use of center of mass may not always be necessary and it depends on the accuracy needed and the specific problem being solved. The conversation also touches on how to account for the center of mass in the calculations and how it may affect the results. In conclusion, using the center of mass can be helpful in certain situations, especially when dealing with irregularly shaped or flexible objects.
Sho Kano
A quick question, I remember my professor said to use the center of mass for solving the classic loop de loop problem. For example, he wanted us to use the distance from the surface of the loop to the center of the object (instead of just from the loop to the surface of the block) for the height in PE = mgh. Thinking back on this, it seems pretty weird that this was done. What do you guys think?

Physics news on Phys.org
Often the size of the object is assumed negligible compared to other distances in the problem. But when you calculate changes in the gravitational PE of an object, it makes sense to use changes in the center of mass position.

Doc Al said:
Often the size of the object is assumed negligible compared to other distances in the problem. But when you calculate changes in the gravitational PE of an object, it makes sense to use changes in the center of mass position.
So let's say the mass is at rest at the highest position, and is just about to fall. So its potential energy would be say mg(51) instead of mg(50)? And at the zero reference point (ground), its potential energy is still mg(1)?

Sho Kano said:
So let's say the mass is at rest at the highest position, and is just about to fall. So its potential energy would be say mg(51) instead of mg(50)? And at the zero reference point (ground), its potential energy is still mg(1)?
If you measure PE from ground level, when the object is resting on the ground its PE = mgd (say). Then when it's at the highest point, resting on top of the track at height h, its PE would be mg(h+d). For some things it doesn't matter, since the change in PE will still be mgh.

It depends on exactly what you are trying to calculate.

Doc Al said:
If you measure PE from ground level, when the object is resting on the ground its PE = mgd (say). Then when it's at the highest point, resting on top of the track at height h, its PE would be mg(h+d). For some things it doesn't matter, since the change in PE will still be mgh.

It depends on exactly what you are trying to calculate.
I see, I just find it weird that its potential energy would be non-zero at ground level. When would one want to use the center of mass to calculate PE?

Sho Kano said:
I see, I just find it weird that its potential energy would be non-zero at ground level.
Realize that the zero level is arbitrary. Only changes in gravitational PE have meaning.

Sho Kano said:
When would one want to use the center of mass to calculate PE?
Depends on how accurate you want to be and what you are asked to calculate.

Doc Al said:
Realize that the zero level is arbitrary. Only changes in gravitational PE have meaning.Depends on how accurate you want to be and what you are asked to calculate.
In the classic problem, where it asks to calculate the energy needed to get pass the loop, is this required? I'm having trouble thinking up with situations where it would want to be done. What is the size difference to make this matter?

Sho Kano said:
In the classic problem, where it asks to calculate the energy needed to get pass the loop, is this required?
Think about it. What's the PE initially? What's the PE of the object when it passes the top of the loop? (Note that the object is now below the track.) Since centripetal acceleration is involved, what radius will you use?

Sho Kano said:
I'm having trouble thinking up with situations where it would want to be done. What is the size difference to make this matter?
It depends how accurate you want to be. Many versions of the problem don't even give the dimensions of the object, so you are expected to ignore it.

Doc Al said:
Think about it. What's the PE initially? What's the PE of the object when it passes the top of the loop? (Note that the object is now below the track.) Since centripetal acceleration is involved, what radius will you use?
For without accounting for the center of mass:
y = 2r + 0.5r

For accounting for the center of mass,
y = 2r + 0.5r - 2x

(y is the minimum height needed to pass the loop, r is radius of the loop, and x is the distance to the center of mass)
So it would matter right?

Sho Kano said:
For without accounting for the center of mass:
y = 2r + 0.5r
OK.

Sho Kano said:
For accounting for the center of mass,
y = 2r + 0.5r - 2x
How did you arrive at this?

Sho Kano said:
So it would matter right?
Sure. As to how much it matters, that depends on how x compares to r.

Doc Al said:
How did you arrive at this?
mg(y+x) = mg(2r-x) + 0.5mrg
y + x = 2r - x + 0.5r

Sho Kano said:
mg(y+x) = mg(2r-x) + 0.5mrg
y + x = 2r - x + 0.5r
Check that 0.5mrg term. Recall my comment about what radius to use.

Likes Sho Kano
Doc Al said:
Check that 0.5mrg term. Recall my comment about what radius to use.
0.5mrg should be 0.5m(r-x)g?

Sho Kano said:
0.5mrg should be 0.5m(r-x)g?
Right.

Perhaps it helps to think about the case where the object is an irregular shape or even flexible with no obvious "surface" to measure from. Something like a rain cloud...

Cloud.png

CWatters said:
Perhaps it helps to think about the case where the object is an irregular shape or even flexible with no obvious "surface" to measure from. Something like a rain cloud...
That will certainly make things more interesting!

I, of course, was speaking of the simpler case of a rigid object (a cart, for example) with a well-defined center of mass.

With a cloud the centre of mass might be the only think you can estimate the position of.

Related to Using center of mass for loop de loop

1. How is the center of mass used to calculate the loop de loop?

The center of mass is used to determine the stability and balance of an object. In the case of a loop de loop, the center of mass must be located within the loop in order for the object to maintain its circular motion without falling off the track.

2. What factors affect the center of mass in a loop de loop?

The mass and distribution of weight within the object, as well as the velocity and radius of the loop, all affect the location of the center of mass and whether the loop de loop can be successfully completed.

3. Can the center of mass be outside of the loop in a loop de loop?

No, the center of mass must be within the loop in order for the object to maintain its circular motion without falling off the track. If the center of mass is outside of the loop, the object will not have enough centripetal force to complete the loop successfully.

4. How can the center of mass be manipulated to achieve a successful loop de loop?

The center of mass can be manipulated by adjusting the weight and distribution of weight within the object. By making the center of mass closer to the bottom of the object, it will have a lower center of gravity and be more stable during the loop de loop.

5. What happens if the center of mass is not considered in a loop de loop?

If the center of mass is not taken into account, the object may not have enough centripetal force to complete the loop and could potentially fall off the track. This could result in damage to the object or injury to the person performing the loop de loop.