Using CGS or SI Units: When to Choose?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of cgs and SI units in physics and whether one is preferred over the other. The conclusion is that it is important to be consistent with units and be able to move between systems, but ultimately, the MKS system is gaining more popularity in the field of physics. The conversation also mentions the difference in expressing the Fine-structure constant in cgs and MKS units.
Saketh
I have a simple question.

I understand the quantitative differences between cgs and SI units, but when will I be expected to use one over the other? For example, do physicists prefer one set of units?

Thanks for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
I really doesn't matter which system you use. The important thing is to be consistent with units. I was taught with the SI system, so I have come to prefer it, but that's not to say that it is better than cgs. Its a matter of preference and being able to move from one system to another. In fact its better that you be able to move between systems. But I guess the times will soon change and one can only speculate that the SI will out do cgs, as SI is widely used.

The short answer is that cgs is on the way out and mks is on the way in.

Crosson said:
The short answer is that cgs is on the way out and mks is on the way in.

except the real, hard-core physicists keep saying that the Fine-structure constant is:

[tex] \alpha = \frac{e^2}{\hbar c} [/tex]

which is the cgs way of saying it. the MKS (and general unit system) way to say it is:

[tex] \alpha = \frac{e^2}{\hbar c (4 \pi \epsilon_0)} [/tex]

Related to Using CGS or SI Units: When to Choose?

1. What is the difference between CGS and SI units?

CGS (centimeter-gram-second) and SI (International System of Units) are two different systems of measurement. CGS uses centimeters, grams, and seconds as its base units, while SI uses meters, kilograms, and seconds. SI units are more commonly used in scientific research and international trade, while CGS units are more commonly used in fields such as electromagnetism and fluid mechanics.

2. When should I use CGS units?

CGS units are typically used in fields where small values and precise measurements are important, such as in atomic and molecular physics, and in the study of subatomic particles. They are also commonly used in engineering calculations for electromagnetic systems and fluid dynamics.

3. When should I use SI units?

SI units are used in most scientific research and international trade, as well as in everyday life. They are the standard units for measuring length, mass, time, temperature, and many other quantities. SI units are also used in engineering applications, particularly in fields such as mechanics, thermodynamics, and electricity.

4. Can I convert between CGS and SI units?

Yes, it is possible to convert between CGS and SI units using conversion factors. For example, to convert from CGS to SI length units, you would multiply the CGS value by 0.01 to get the equivalent SI value. It is important to note that when converting between units, the numerical value may change, but the physical quantity remains the same.

5. Which unit system is more accurate?

Both CGS and SI units are equally accurate, as they are based on the same fundamental physical quantities. The choice of unit system depends on the specific application and the convenience of using certain units for a particular calculation. It is important to use consistent units throughout a calculation to ensure accuracy and avoid errors.