Using Classification of Poles to Calculate Residues

In summary: Multiple pole at z=a order mType 1:$$f(z)=(z-a)^{m}g(z),g \in H(D(a;r)):$$$$\text{Res}\{f(z);a\}=\frac{g^{m-1}(a)}{(m-1)!}$$Type 2:$$\text{Res}\{f(z);a\}=\text{Coefficient }C_{-1}\text{ of }\frac{1}{z-a}$$In the Laurent expansion of f(z) about z=aWhen to use each
shen07
Hi guys i wanted to clear out some confusion, Suppose $\text{z=a}$ is a simple pole, my Professor classify it as follows:

Simple Pole at z=a

Type 1: $$f(z)=(z-a)^{-1}g(z),g\in H(D(a;r)):$$

$$Res\{f(z);a\}=g(a)$$​

Type 2: $$f(z)=\frac{h(z)}{k(z)},h(a)\neq 0,k(a)=0,k^{'}(a)\neq 0:$$
$$Res\{f(z);a\}=\frac{h(a)}{k^{'}(a)}$$​

Now my question is how do i know when should i use the Type 1 or Type 2??

Please Help

Physics news on Phys.org
shen07 said:
Hi guys i wanted to clear out some confusion, Suppose $\text{z=a}$ is a simple pole, my Professor classify it as follows:

Simple Pole at z=a

Type 1: $$f(z)=(z-a)^{-1}g(z),g\in H(D(a;r)):$$

$$Res\{f(z);a\}=g(a)$$​

Type 2: $$f(z)=\frac{h(z)}{k(z)},h(a)\neq 0,k(a)=0,k^{'}(a)\neq 0:$$
$$Res\{f(z);a\}=\frac{h(a)}{k^{'}(a)}$$​

Now my question is how do i know when should i use the Type 1 or Type 2??

Please Help

Suppose you pick $k(z)=z-a$ in Type 2.
Which residue do you get?
Recognize it?

shen07 said:
$$\cdots , g\in H(D(a;r)):$$

May I ask what do you mean by that ?

ZaidAlyafey said:
May I ask what do you mean by that ?
Hi Zaid, its a notation: g is holomorphic(H) in the Disc center a,radius r

- - - Updated - - -

I like Serena said:
Suppose you pick $k(z)=z-a$ in Type 2.
Which residue do you get?
Recognize it?

What you mean to say is that, both are the same?? bt in what case should we use each type?

shen07 said:
What you mean to say is that, both are the same?? bt in what case should we use each type?

Type 2 is a more general formulation of the same thing.
Use whatever is easiest for the problem at hand.

Although I do not think that $h(a) \ne 0$ is a necessary precondition to use type 2.
It should suffice that h(a) exists.

Type 1 is a special case of Type 2 by letting \(\displaystyle k(z) = z-a \) . Of course we must have that \(\displaystyle h(z) \) is holomorphic in a neighborhood of \(\displaystyle a\).

Assume that \(\displaystyle z=a\) is a simple pole of order $1$ then we can have

\(\displaystyle f(z) = \frac{g(z)}{z-a}\)

Then the residue at \(\displaystyle z=a\) is \(\displaystyle f(z) = \frac{g(a)}{(z-a)'}=g(a)\)

If \(\displaystyle f(z) = \frac{h(z)}{k(z)}\) where \(\displaystyle h(z)\) has a simple zero of order \(\displaystyle 1\) at \(\displaystyle z=a\) then

\(\displaystyle \text{Res}(f(z);a) = \lim_{z \to a}(z-a) \frac{h(z)}{k(z)-k(a)}=\lim_{z \to a} \frac{h(z)}{\frac{k(z)-k(a)}{z-a}}=\frac{h(a)}{k'(a)}\)

Suppose i have like a function

$$f(z)=\frac{(z-i)^2}{(z^3+1)}$$

then using Type 2 is much easier here than using Type 1, $$Res\{f(z);-1\}=\frac{h(-1)}{k^{'}(-1)},\text{ where }h(z)=(z-i)^{2}\text{ & }k(z)=z^{3}+1$$

Using type 1 would complicate things,Right??

You could use Type 1 by factorization

\(\displaystyle z^3+1= (z+1)(z^2-z+1)\)

It won't be complicated.

What about the Residues of Multiple Poles:

Multiple pole at z=a order m

Type 1:
$$f(z)=(z-a)^{m}g(z),g \in H(D(a;r)):$$
$$\text{Res}\{f(z);a\}=\frac{g^{m-1}(a)}{(m-1)!}$$

Type 2:
$$\text{Res}\{f(z);a\}=\text{Coefficient }C_{-1}\text{ of }\frac{1}{z-a}$$
in the Laurent expansion of f(z) about z=a

When to use each type??

For example :

\(\displaystyle f(z) = \frac{\cos(z)}{z^3}\) then you have two choices and that depends on the easieness of expanding the function .

Since we know that \(\displaystyle \cos(z) = 1-\frac{z^2}{2!}+\frac{z^4}{4!}+\cdots \)

Then the Laurent expansion of the function around \(\displaystyle z=0\) will be

\(\displaystyle f(z) = \frac{ 1-\frac{z^2}{2!}+\frac{z^4}{4!}+\cdots }{z^3}=\frac{1}{z^3}-\frac{1}{2! \, z}+\frac{1}{4!}\, z+\cdots \)

Clearly the residue will be \(\displaystyle \frac{-1}{2!}\)

To use Type 1 we use the formula which is easy since \(\displaystyle \cos^{(2)}(z) = -\cos(z) \) so the residue will be \(\displaystyle -\frac{1}{2!} \cos(0) = \frac{-1}{2!}\)

What is the concept of using classification of poles to calculate residues?

The concept of using classification of poles to calculate residues is a mathematical technique used to evaluate complex integrals. It involves identifying the poles of a function, categorizing them based on their nature (simple, double, etc.), and using this information to determine the value of the residue at each pole. The residue is then used to calculate the integral using the Residue Theorem.

Why is it important to classify poles while calculating residues?

Classifying poles is important because the method used to calculate the residue depends on the type of pole. For example, simple poles require a different approach than multiple poles. By correctly identifying and classifying poles, we can accurately calculate the residues and evaluate complex integrals.

What are the steps involved in using classification of poles to calculate residues?

The steps involved in using classification of poles to calculate residues are as follows:

1. Identify and locate the poles of the function.
  2. Classify the poles as simple, double, triple, etc.
  3. Use the appropriate method to calculate the residue at each pole.
  4. Combine the residues using the Residue Theorem to calculate the integral.

Can classification of poles be used for any function?

Yes, classification of poles can be used for any function that has poles. However, it may not always be necessary to classify the poles if the function is simple enough to be evaluated using other methods.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when using classification of poles to calculate residues?

Some common mistakes to avoid when using classification of poles to calculate residues are:

• Incorrectly identifying the poles of the function.
  • Using the wrong method to calculate the residue for a particular type of pole.
  • Forgetting to include all poles in the calculation.
  • Making arithmetic errors while calculating the residues.

To avoid these mistakes, it is important to carefully follow the steps involved in the process and double-check the calculations.