Using Intermediate Value Theorem to prove # of polynomial roots

In summary, The intermediate value theorem can be used to prove that an Nth-degree polynomial has no more than N roots. Derivatives play a key role in this proof, as they allow us to determine how many times a polynomial "changes direction". By considering the derivative of a polynomial of degree N, we can see that it can cross the x-axis at most N-1 times. This can be further generalized and made rigorous through induction.
KingNothing
I've heard there's a proof out there of this, basically that (I think) you can use the intermediate value theorem to prove that an Nth-degree polynomial has no more than N roots.

I'm not in school anymore, just an interested engineer. Does anyone know where I can find this proof or any really strong hints on how to do it myself? I've been out of it for a while and I'm rusty.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
well the crux of any such proof is going to be that the derivative of an Nth-degree polynomial is going to be an (N-1)-th degree polynomial.

you don't even need limits for this, you can just define a derivative formally using the power rule.

why derivatives? because, in general, all one can say at the outset, is that a polynomial of odd degree has at least one root. to bring the IVT to bear, one has to find out how many times a polynomial p(x) can "change direction", that is, when its slope changes sign.

for an partial example of how this becomes an induction proof:

suppose p(x) is of degree 2, so that p(x) = ax2 + bx + c. then p'(x) = 2ax + b, (and by assumption, a ≠ 0), so p'(x) has one root (-b/(2a), in fact).

this means that p(x) changes direction exactly once (for higher degrees it becomes "at most n-1 times" because some of the "humps" might not exist (f(x) = x3 doesn't have any, for example), so it can cross the x-axis at most twice (once going up, once going down).

you should be able to generalize, and make this a bit more rigorous, from this little bit.

Related to Using Intermediate Value Theorem to prove # of polynomial roots

What is the Intermediate Value Theorem?

The Intermediate Value Theorem is a mathematical theorem that states that if a continuous function takes on two values, then it must also take on every value between those two values at some point within its domain.

How is the Intermediate Value Theorem used to prove the number of polynomial roots?

The Intermediate Value Theorem can be used to prove the number of polynomial roots by showing that a polynomial function crosses the x-axis at a certain number of points within a given interval. If the function has a different sign at each endpoint of the interval, then by the Intermediate Value Theorem, it must cross the x-axis at least once within that interval, indicating the existence of at least one root.

What are the necessary conditions for using the Intermediate Value Theorem to prove the number of polynomial roots?

The necessary conditions for using the Intermediate Value Theorem to prove the number of polynomial roots include the function being continuous, the interval being closed, and the function having different signs at the endpoints of the interval.

Can the Intermediate Value Theorem be used to prove the exact number of polynomial roots?

No, the Intermediate Value Theorem can only be used to prove the existence of at least one root within a given interval. It cannot determine the exact number of roots a polynomial function may have.

Are there any limitations to using the Intermediate Value Theorem to prove the number of polynomial roots?

Yes, there are limitations to using the Intermediate Value Theorem. It can only be applied to polynomial functions, and there must be a known interval in which to evaluate the function. Additionally, the theorem does not work for discontinuous functions or functions that have repeated roots within the given interval.