Using line equations to calculate a difference in rates of development

In summary, the two line equations represent the temperatures 25°C and 33°C, with y representing development time and x representing time. The equation for 33°C has a higher coefficient of x, indicating a faster development rate. Using the slope of the lines, it can be calculated that the development rate at 33°C is approximately 40.4% faster than at 25°C.
jakerm1995
I have two line equations representing two temperatures:

Temperature 25C: y= 0.7479x + 0.6586
Temperature 33C: y= 1.050x + 1.601

I am tasked with using these to work out the difference in development rates of a particular species under each temperature. Y= development time and x=Time. I am confused with how to use these two equations to calculate the difference in growth rate. As when I apply a percentage increase calculation to temperature 33, I calculate an 87% increase over 10 hours, and with the 25C i see a 92% increase over 10 hours. It should be that the 33C has a higher development rate and so my calculations must be wrong :/ I am very confused. I will post the graph here so you can understand better. Any suggestions are much appreciated (bare in mind, I am a noob at maths).

1645659652965.png

Mathematics news on Phys.org
jakerm1995 said:
Temperature 25C: y= 0.7479x + 0.6586
Temperature 33C: y= 1.050x + 1.601
These are linear equations (i.e. they look like straight lines on the graph). The first one can be interpreted as "at 25°C every hour of real time increases developmental age by 0.7479 hours".

Percentage increases for linear equations are not constant so we can't use these, instead we can compare them by using the slope of the line, which is the coefficient of x in these equations (0.7479 development hours per hour at 25°C and 1.050 development hours per hour at 33°C). We can say that the development rate at 33°C is ## \frac{1.050}{0.7479} \approx 1.404 ## times that at 25°C,

1. What is a line equation?

A line equation is a mathematical representation of a straight line on a graph. It is typically written in the form y = mx + b, where m is the slope of the line and b is the y-intercept.

2. How can line equations be used to calculate a difference in rates of development?

Line equations can be used to calculate a difference in rates of development by comparing the slopes of two different lines. The steeper the slope, the faster the rate of development. By finding the difference between the slopes of two lines, you can determine the difference in rates of development.

3. Can line equations be used for any type of development?

Yes, line equations can be used to calculate differences in rates of development for any type of development, as long as the data can be represented on a graph with a straight line. This includes physical, cognitive, and social development.

4. Are line equations the only way to calculate differences in rates of development?

No, there are other methods for calculating differences in rates of development, such as using growth curves or statistical analysis. However, line equations are a simple and effective method for comparing rates of development.

5. How accurate are the results obtained from using line equations to calculate differences in rates of development?

The accuracy of the results obtained from using line equations depends on the accuracy of the data used to create the lines. If the data is precise and representative of the development being measured, then the results obtained from line equations can be highly accurate. However, if the data is flawed or incomplete, the results may not be as accurate.