Using Magnetic field to repel a paper plane AP Physics Project help?

In summary, the goal of this conversation is to figure out the specifications for a school project in an AP class where the objective is to shoot a paper plane as far as possible without interfering with it during flight. The proposed plan involves using a standing pole with copper wires and an extension ramp to accelerate the plane, as well as a solenoid setup with a non-charged metal rod to repel the plane using induced current. The question is whether using 1.5A of current from a step down transformer and a 3A fuse will be enough to achieve the desired distance, considering gravitational potential and the height of the pole. The suggestion is to always use a fuse when dealing with outlets for safety purposes.
Sensuisam
I simply need to shoot a paper plane very far, the furthest distance. I cannot interfere with it during flight. I plan to have copper wires up a standing pole, from the pole, an extension (used as a ramp for the plane to gain acceleration), will stick out less than 90 deg/ Perpendicular). On that extension ramp I will have a linear solenoid setup (permanent mag. in back then a 10mm push solenoid) and a non -charged metal rod in the center of the solenoid ( to be induced) to repel out the plane which will have a magnet in the back of it.

I would like to ask about the specs. since this is a school project in a AP class; it cannot be dangerous. I plan to conect the copper wires to a AC outlet (120V) and a step down transformer allowing 1.5A to come through. With 1.5A, will that be enough current for the solenoid's magnetic field to repel the plane a long distance, a few feet? Along with gravitational potential as well. The pole is 4-5 up, I could make it bigger. ----Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
All I'm going to say is when you deal with an outlet, you should always put a fuse in your circuit. Go by a local electronics store and pick up a 3 A fuse, and make sure it is installed before you ever plug your circuit into the wall. It will be something like this:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102743

1. How does a magnetic field repel a paper plane?

A magnetic field is created by the interaction of electric charges. When a paper plane with a metallic element, such as a paperclip, is placed in a magnetic field, the magnetic forces exerted by the field on the paperclip cause it to move away from the field. This repulsion is due to the interaction between the magnetic fields of the paperclip and the magnetic field.

2. What is the principle behind using a magnetic field to repel a paper plane?

The principle behind using a magnetic field to repel a paper plane is based on the fact that opposite magnetic poles attract each other, while like poles repel each other. By creating a magnetic field with a specific polarity, it is possible to generate a force that repels the paper plane, causing it to move away from the field.

3. How can I create a magnetic field strong enough to repel a paper plane?

To create a strong enough magnetic field to repel a paper plane, you will need a strong magnet, such as a neodymium magnet. Additionally, you can increase the strength of the magnetic field by bringing the magnet closer to the paper plane or by using multiple magnets.

4. Are there any safety precautions I should take when using a magnetic field to repel a paper plane?

Yes, it is important to be cautious when working with strong magnets. Keep them away from electronic devices, credit cards, and pacemakers, as they can be damaged by the magnetic field. Additionally, avoid placing magnets near each other or near metal objects that can become attracted to the magnet and cause potential hazards.

5. Can I use any type of paper plane for this project?

Yes, you can use any type of paper plane for this project as long as it has a metallic element, such as a paperclip, attached to it. The metallic element is necessary for the paper plane to interact with the magnetic field and be repelled.