Using Maxima to plot error in Fourier series

Maxima can help with examining the error in a Fourier series as the number of terms increases. Allan responds saying he has figured out how to produce the series and plot partial sums, but is stumped with the error. He asks for help from someone experienced with the Maxima CAS. In summary, Allan is seeking help with examining the error in a Fourier series and has figured out how to produce the series and plot partial sums using Maxima.
Allan McPherson
I'm trying to use Maxima to examine the error in a Fourier series as the number of terms increases. I've figured out how to produce a Fourier series and plot partial sums, but this has me stumped.

If anyone experienced with the Maxima CAS has some insight into this, I would greatly appreciate the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Allan McPherson said:
I'm trying to use Maxima to examine the error in a Fourier series as the number of terms increases. I've figured out how to produce a Fourier series and plot partial sums, but this has me stumped.

If anyone experienced with the Maxima CAS has some insight into this, I would greatly appreciate the help.
Hi Allan,
I use Maxima with WxMaxima a lot so possibly I can help if you post or send me what you've done so far.

M

1. What is Maxima?

Maxima is a free and open-source software used for symbolic mathematical calculations. It is widely used in the fields of mathematics, physics, engineering, and other scientific disciplines.

2. How does Maxima plot error in Fourier series?

Maxima has built-in functions such as plot2d and plot3d which can be used to plot mathematical expressions. By using these functions, Maxima can plot the error in a Fourier series by representing it as a mathematical function.

3. Can Maxima plot the error in both one-dimensional and multi-dimensional Fourier series?

Yes, Maxima is capable of plotting the error in both one-dimensional and multi-dimensional Fourier series. It can also handle complex-valued functions and plot their errors.

4. Are there any limitations to using Maxima for plotting Fourier series errors?

One limitation of using Maxima for plotting Fourier series errors is that it may not work well with very large data sets. It is also not suitable for real-time plotting of errors as it may take some time to process complex calculations.

5. Can Maxima plot errors in other types of series?

Yes, Maxima can plot errors in other types of series such as Taylor series, Laurent series, and Maclaurin series. It can also plot errors in other types of mathematical functions and expressions.