Using nodal analysis to solve for current

In summary, @Bright Liu has identified that his ground node is at the bottom, and that if you follow the left path from 0 potential point to point V_1, you will have to cross through a 2 ohm resistor and move in the opposite direction of current.
jisbon
Homework Statement
Solve for current I0 using nodal analysis.
Relevant Equations
-
1597479730608.png

Hi all,
Managed to get an answer out, but unfortunately, it doesn't correspond with the answer given ( –3.09 A)
Would appreciate if one could check out what I did wrongly here:
1597480230121.png

## V_{1}=2\times 5=10V ##
At node 2:
## \dfrac{V_{1}-V_{2}}{2}=12+\dfrac{V_{2}}{1}+\dfrac{V_{2}-V_{3}}{2}##
We can also see that:
1597480334446.png

## \dfrac{V_{2}}{1}+5=\dfrac{25-V_{3}}{4} ##

May I know if any of my equations are wrong? If so, what seems to be the problem?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
jisbon said:
If so, what seems to be the problem?
You haven't defined your ground node.
Pick a node, assign 0V potential to it and write all node voltages w.r.t that ground node.

Likes Frigus
cnh1995 said:
Pick a node, assign 0V potential to it and write all node voltages w.r.t that ground node.
I think he has defined this node as ground node
1597479730608.png

I think you are right and the answer is wrong

cnh1995 said:
As quoted by @Bright Liu, my ground node will be at the bottom.

jisbon said:
As quoted by @Bright Liu, my ground node will be at the bottom.
If your ground node is same as @Bright Liu's, your equation for V1 is incorrect.

cnh1995 said:
If your ground node is same as @Bright Liu's, your equation for V1 is incorrect.
I think it is right as if we start moving from 0 potential point to point ##V_1## through left path then we have to cross through 2 ohm resistor and we are moving opposite to current so potential difference should be positive and equal to 10 volts by ohm's law.

Likes Bright Liu
Hemant said:
I think it is right as if we start moving from 0 potential point to point ##V_1## through left path then we have to cross through 2 ohm resistor and we are moving opposite to current so potential difference should be positive and equal to 10 volts by ohm's law.
So no voltage across the 5A current source? :wink:

Maybe I am missing some point🤔,
This is what I am considering
IMG_20200815_155236.jpg

Hemant said:
Maybe I am missing some point
The 5A and 12A shown in the diagram are current sources. They are circuit elements just like voltage sources and resistors. There will be some voltage drop across them too.
You haven't considered that in your reasoning.

• Wow
Likes Bright Liu and Frigus
cnh1995 said:
The 5A and 12A shown in the diagram are current sources. They are circuit elements just like voltage sources and resistors. There will be some voltage drop across them too.
You haven't considered that in your reasoning.
I am so stupid,I thought it is an ammeter😅 but after searching,it comes out to be some different thing.
So I learned something new today.
it is always better to think thrice before talking to young Sheldon.

Last edited:
Likes Bright Liu and cnh1995
Hemant said:
I am so stupid,
No need to feel that way in a scientific discussion:smile:.
And circuits are tricky! There is always room for silly mistakes.

Likes Bright Liu and Frigus
Hmm if there is a voltage drop across the current source, what equation can I craft at node 1 then? Pretty confused by this.
cnh1995 said:
No need to feel that way in a scientific discussion:smile:.
And circuits are tricky! There is always room for silly mistakes.

Ooh EDIT: nvm i got it, just had to craft out 4 equations for 4 nodal points =-=

Last edited:

1. What is nodal analysis?

Nodal analysis is a method used to solve for unknown currents in a circuit by applying Kirchhoff's Current Law (KCL) at each node in the circuit.

2. How does nodal analysis work?

Nodal analysis involves creating a system of equations using KCL at each node in the circuit. These equations are then solved simultaneously to determine the unknown currents.

3. What are the advantages of using nodal analysis?

Nodal analysis is a systematic and efficient method for solving complex circuits with multiple nodes. It also allows for the use of superposition to analyze circuits with multiple sources.

4. What are the limitations of nodal analysis?

Nodal analysis can only be used for circuits with independent sources and linear elements. It also becomes more complex for circuits with a large number of nodes.

5. How can I apply nodal analysis to a circuit?

To apply nodal analysis, you will need to label each node in the circuit and write KCL equations at each node. Then, solve the resulting system of equations to determine the unknown currents.