Using recoil of atom to find correct in wavelength of emitted photon

In summary, the book supplies the answer of $\Delta\lambda = \frac{h}{2mc}$ where $\lambda_r$ and $\lambda_f$ are the radii of the incoming and outgoing photons, respectively. However, the three ideas presented all give incorrect answers. The approximation provided is accurate.
Fluxthroughme
2hcg785.jpg

So firstly, the book supplies the answer of [itex]\Delta\lambda = \frac{h}{2mc}[/itex]

I use energy and momentum conservation. I say the total energy is that of the incoming photon, which is then changed to energy of the photon released, and kinetic energy of the atom, from the recoil. I say the same thing, but for momentum, with momentum conservation. Thus I get the equations I'm using. However, the three ideas I can come up with all give incorrect answers. 2 and 3 are obviously closer, as we know the correction is very small, but it's not what I'm looking for.

Thus, I cannot figure out how to get the correct answer. I am unsure where I'm going wrong. Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Which incoming photon do you mean? The atom emits a photon, it does not receive one.
You need both energy and momentum conservation here. The net momentum of the system (photon+atom) is zero.

mfb said:
Which incoming photon do you mean? The atom emits a photon, it does not receive one.
You need both energy and momentum conservation here. The net momentum of the system (photon+atom) is zero.

To emit a photon, it needs to be in an excited state. I'm saying the photon it absorbs is the one that puts it in the excited state, giving it the energy needed to emit in the first place.

I'm saying the photon it absorbs is the one that puts it in the excited state, giving it the energy needed to emit in the first place.
It can get excited in other ways, too. Anyway, the excited atom is at rest initially here.

mfb said:
It can get excited in other ways, too. Anyway, the excited atom is at rest initially here.

The below is what I get when I try it with the atom at rest:

2vrylmr.png

Even now, I still run into a problem. I appreciate that the quantity in brackets is extremely close to 1, but is it safe to just ignore it?

Right, that is exactly the approximation you need here.
$$\frac{\lambda_f}{\lambda_r} = \frac{\lambda_r-\Delta \lambda}{\lambda_r} = 1-\frac{\Delta \lambda}{\lambda_r} \approx 1$$

mfb said:
Right, that is exactly the approximation you need here.
$$\frac{\lambda_f}{\lambda_r} = \frac{\lambda_r-\Delta \lambda}{\lambda_r} = 1-\frac{\Delta \lambda}{\lambda_r} \approx 1$$

Ahh, I see. Thanks for clearing that up.

Related to Using recoil of atom to find correct in wavelength of emitted photon

What is the concept of using recoil of atom to find correct in wavelength of emitted photon?

The concept involves using the recoil, or movement, of an atom when it emits a photon to determine the correct wavelength of the emitted photon. This is based on the principle of conservation of momentum, where the recoil of the atom is equal and opposite to the momentum of the emitted photon.

How is this method useful in scientific research?

This method is useful in determining the exact wavelength of a photon emitted by an atom, which can provide valuable information about the atom's structure and behavior. It can also be used to study the effects of various factors, such as external forces or changes in the atom's energy levels, on the emitted photon.

What are some potential applications of this technique?

This technique has a wide range of potential applications, including in spectroscopy, laser technology, and atomic physics research. It can also be used in fields such as astronomy, where precise measurements of photon wavelengths are crucial for studying distant objects.

What are the limitations of using recoil of atom to find correct in wavelength of emitted photon?

One limitation is that the method is most accurate for low-energy photons, and becomes less accurate as the energy of the photon increases. It also requires careful measurements and calculations to account for other factors that may influence the recoil of the atom.

Are there any alternative methods for determining the wavelength of an emitted photon?

Yes, there are alternative methods such as using diffraction gratings, interferometers, or spectrometers. Each method has its own advantages and limitations, and the most appropriate method may depend on the specific research or application.