Using Seismic Waves detected at 4 Seismometers to determine the Epicenter

In summary: The focus is at the intersection of the two longest sides.In summary, you tried to find the focus by locating the difference in arrival times, the angle between the stations, and the distances between the stations. You uploaded a PDF or JPEG of your sketch, and said that you would post math equations if requested.
Ira_anabelle
Homework Statement
Earthquake:
You know the geographical position of four different seismometers, the speed of the s-wave and p-wave, the level of the focus under the earths surface and the times of arrival of both of the waves at each station. Determine a way to find the exact location of the epicenter.

Note that the primary (p)-wave arrives before the secondary(s)-wave.
Relevant Equations
N/A
My first attempt was to work with the the difference in arrival times, but that didnt account for the focus to be under the epicenter. So I tried again in combination with the angle between the stations but have not arrived at a clear solution.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

Can you show your work so far? That will help us a lot in being able to help you. also, if you have a sketch of the arrangement, that would also help. Click "Attach files" below the Edit window to upload a PDF or JPEG copy of your sketch.

Also, to post math equations, it's best to use LaTeX. See the "LaTeX Guide" link below the Edit window to learn more. :smile:

There does seem to be a surfeit of information. Knowing the difference in p/s arrival times and their speeds at three stations should be enough to locate the focus. The fourth station and given depth seem unnecessary. Hard to know whether you are expected only to use whatever sufficient set of data you choose, or you are supposed to use some likelihood maximisation.

But I don't understand how you can have computed the epicentre except by locating the focus. Please post the details of your attempt.

Mind, I am assuming that the stations are not too far apart, or you will have to worry about the core.

To be honest I didnt find my notes with the angle calculation of the center of the earth. Just these ones. I tried to get a formula for the epicentral distance first, to combine three of them an then find the Epicenter. I don't think it‘s right since I am not using the sphere/geographical coordinates.
There is btw the information given that the speeds are set to be constant and the distance are small. I forgot to write it into the question.

Attachments

• Homework.pdf
    153.5 KB · Views: 96
Ira_anabelle said:
tried to get a formula for the epicentral distance first
I see no way to do that. The waves come from the focus, not the epicentre. You can calculate the distance from the focus to each station. That gives you a pyramid (inverted) on a quadrilateral base.

1. How do seismometers detect seismic waves?

Seismometers detect seismic waves by measuring the vibrations caused by earthquakes. These vibrations are recorded as a series of wavy lines on a seismogram, which can then be analyzed to determine the location and magnitude of the earthquake.

2. What is the relationship between the distance from the epicenter and the arrival time of seismic waves?

The farther a seismometer is from the epicenter, the longer it takes for the seismic waves to reach it. This is because seismic waves travel at different speeds through different types of rock and soil. By measuring the arrival times of the waves at multiple seismometers, scientists can triangulate the location of the epicenter.

3. How many seismometers are needed to determine the epicenter of an earthquake?

At least three seismometers are needed to determine the epicenter of an earthquake. By measuring the arrival times of the seismic waves at three different locations, scientists can use triangulation to pinpoint the exact location of the epicenter.

4. Can seismometers also be used to determine the depth of an earthquake?

Yes, seismometers can also be used to determine the depth of an earthquake. By analyzing the characteristics of the seismic waves, such as their amplitude and frequency, scientists can estimate the depth of the earthquake's focus (the point where the earthquake originates) within a few kilometers.

5. Are there any limitations to using seismometers to determine the epicenter of an earthquake?

While seismometers are a valuable tool for determining the epicenter of an earthquake, there are some limitations. For example, if there are not enough seismometers in the area or if they are too far away from the epicenter, it may be difficult to accurately pinpoint the location. Additionally, seismometers may not be able to detect smaller earthquakes or those that occur very deep underground.