Using the First Property to Prove the Second Property of the Exterior Product

In summary, the conversation discusses the properties of the exterior product. The first property states that the exterior product is associative, while the second property shows that the exterior product is anti-commutative. The conversation also delves into the use of permutations and their signs in proving the second property. The conversation ends with a discussion on the correct way to write the indices for the exterior product.
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

Two of the properties of the exterior product are the following:

- Let $\psi_1, \ldots , \psi_k, n_{1}, \ldots , n_{\ell}\in V^{\star}$ then it holds that $$\left (\psi_1\land \ldots \land \psi_k\right )\land \left (n_1\land \ldots \land n_{\ell}\right )=\psi_1\land \ldots \land \psi_k\land n_{1}\land \ldots \land n_{\ell}$$
- Let $\omega \in \land^kV^{\star}$ and $\sigma\in \land^{\ell}V^{\star}$. Then it holds that $$\omega\land \sigma=(-1)^{k\ell}\sigma\land \omega$$

I want to show the second property using besides other properties also the first one.

I have done the following:

Let $\psi_1, \ldots , \psi_k, n_{k+1}, \ldots , n_{k+\ell}\in V^{\star}$. Let $\omega \in \land^kV^{\star}$ and $\sigma\in \land^{\ell}V^{\star}$. Then we have that $\omega= \psi_1\land \ldots \land \psi_k$ and $\sigma=n_{k+1}\land \ldots \land n_{k+\ell}$.

We get the following:
\begin{align*}\omega\land \sigma=\left (\psi_1\land \ldots \land \psi_k\right )\land \left (n_{k+1}\land \ldots \land n_{k+\ell}\right ) \\ \overset{ \text{First property }}{ = } \psi_1\land \ldots \land \psi_k\land n_{k+1}\land \ldots \land n_{k+\ell}\end{align*}

Then we have to take a permutation of the form $\pi: (1, \ldots , k, k+1, \ldots , k+\ell) \mapsto (k+1, \ldots , k+\ell, 1, \ldots , k)$, right? (Wondering)

Which is the sign of that permutation? (Wondering)

Does it holds then that \begin{align*}\psi_1\land \ldots \land \psi_k\land n_1\land \ldots \land n_{\ell}&=n_{\pi(k+1)}\land \ldots \land n_{\pi(k+\ell)}\land \psi_{\pi(1)}\land \ldots \land \psi_{\pi(\ell)} \\ & =\text{sign}(\pi)\cdot n_{k+1}\land \ldots \land n_{k}\land \psi_{k+1}\land \ldots \land \psi_{k+\ell} \\ & = \text{sign}(\pi)\left (n_{k+1}\land \ldots \land n_{k}\right )\land \left (\psi_{k+1}\land \ldots \land \psi_{k+\ell}\right )\\ & = \text{sign}(\pi)\sigma\land \omega \end{align*} ? (Wondering)

Physics news on Phys.org
mathmari said:
Then we have to take a permutation of the form $\pi: (1, \ldots , k, k+1, \ldots , k+\ell) \mapsto (k+1, \ldots , k+\ell, 1, \ldots , k)$, right? (Wondering)

Which is the sign of that permutation? (Wondering)

Hey mathmari! (Smile)

Yep, that's a good permutation.

The sign of a permutation depends on the number of pairwise transpositions that can compose it.
If it's an odd number of transpositions, the sign is -1, and if it's even, the sign is +1.
For instance for $\pi: (1, 2, 3, 4) \mapsto (3, 4, 1, 2)$, we can write $\pi = (13)(24)$, which is an even permutation, meaning its sign is +1.

We can also use that a cyclic transposition of k elements (a k-cycle) has sign -1 if k is even, and sign +1 if k is odd.
(Note that sign and parity are exactly the other way around here. Can you tell us why? (Wondering))
So for the same example, we can write $\pi=(1234)^2$, which is 2 applications of an odd permutation, yielding an even permutation, that is, sign +1.

Which cycle might we use to build $\pi$?

mathmari said:
Does it holds then that \begin{align*}\psi_1\land \ldots \land \psi_k\land n_1\land \ldots \land n_{\ell}&=n_{\pi(k+1)}\land \ldots \land n_{\pi(k+\ell)}\land \psi_{\pi(1)}\land \ldots \land \psi_{\pi(\ell)} \\ & =\text{sign}(\pi)\cdot n_{k+1}\land \ldots \land n_{k}\land \psi_{k+1}\land \ldots \land \psi_{k+\ell} \\ & = \text{sign}(\pi)\left (n_{k+1}\land \ldots \land n_{k}\right )\land \left (\psi_{k+1}\land \ldots \land \psi_{k+\ell}\right )\\ & = \text{sign}(\pi)\sigma\land \omega \end{align*} ?

Yep. (Nod)

I like Serena said:
Yep, that's a good permutation.

The sign of a permutation depends on the number of pairwise transpositions that can compose it.
If it's an odd number of transpositions, the sign is -1, and if it's even, the sign is +1.
For instance for $\pi: (1, 2, 3, 4) \mapsto (3, 4, 1, 2)$, we can write $\pi = (13)(24)$, which is an even permutation, meaning its sign is +1.

We can also use that a cyclic transposition of k elements (a k-cycle) has sign -1 if k is even, and sign +1 if k is odd.
(Note that sign and parity are exactly the other way around here. Can you tell us why? (Wondering))
So for the same example, we can write $\pi=(1234)^2$, which is 2 applications of an odd permutation, yielding an even permutation, that is, sign +1.

Which cycle might we use to build $\pi$?
What is exactly the difference between sign and parity? I got stuck right now... (Wondering) We can write the permutation as the product of cycles: $(1 \ \ k+1)(2 \ \ k+2) \ldots (k \ \ k+\ell )$, or not? The number of transpositions is $k$, or not? (Wondering)
I like Serena said:
Yep. (Nod)

So, is the way I wrote the indices, i.e., at $\psi$ I wrote the indices from $1$ to $k$ and at $n$ I wrote the indices from $k+1$ to $k+\ell$, correct? (Wondering)

Last edited by a moderator:
mathmari said:
What is exactly the difference between sign and parity? I got stuck right now...

Parity is even or odd, while sign is +1 or -1.
A permutation with odd parity is a permutation that has sign -1.
A k-cycle with even k is an odd permutation and therefore the permutation has sign -1.
As an example the permutation given by $(23)$ consists of 1 pairwise transposition (odd), while at the same time the number of elements in the cycle is 2 (even). Either way, the sign of the permutation is -1. (Nerd)

mathmari said:
We can write the permutation as the product of cycles: $(1 \ \ k+1)(2 \ \ k+2) \ldots (k \ \ k+\ell )$, or not? The number of transpositions is $k$, or not?

This only works if $\ell = k$ doesn't it? (Wondering)
In that case the number of transitions is indeed $k$, and therefore the sign is $(-1)^k$.

mathmari said:
So, is the way I wrote the indices, i.e., at $\psi$ I wrote the indices from $1$ to $k$ and at $n$ I wrote the indices from $k+1$ to $k+\ell$, correct?

I believe so yes.
What do you think might be wrong with it? (Wondering)

I like Serena said:
Parity is even or odd, while sign is +1 or -1.
A permutation with odd parity is a permutation that has sign -1.
A k-cycle with even k is an odd permutation and therefore the permutation has sign -1.
As an example the permutation given by $(23)$ consists of 1 pairwise transposition (odd), while at the same time the number of elements in the cycle is 2 (even). Either way, the sign of the permutation is -1. (Nerd)
Ah ok! (Nerd)
I like Serena said:
This only works if $\ell = k$ doesn't it? (Wondering)
In that case the number of transitions is indeed $k$, and therefore the sign is $(-1)^k$.
We have the permutation $\pi: (1, \ldots , k, k+1, \ldots , k+\ell) \mapsto (k+1, \ldots , k+\ell, 1, \ldots , k)$.

We shift the element $(k+1)$ $k$ positions to the left, then we shift the element $(k+2)$ also $k$ positions to the left, etc.

So we shift each of the elements $\{k+1, \ldots k+\ell\}$ $k$ positions to the left.

At a shift of one position the sign is equal to $-1$. At a shift for $k$ positions the sign becomes $(-1)^k$. We shift totally $\ell$ times. Therefore, the sign becomes $((-1)^k)^{\ell}=(-1)^{k\ell}$.

Is everything correct? (Wondering)

Is this a formal proof? (Wondering)

I got stuck right now.. (Wondering)

We have the permutation $\pi: (1, \ldots , k, k+1, \ldots , k+\ell) \mapsto (k+1, \ldots , k+\ell, 1, \ldots , k)$.

Is this correct to say that $\psi_1=n_{\pi (k+1)}$ ? Shouldn't it be that $\psi_{\pi(1)}=n_{k+1}$ ?

Is the following correct? Or should I use in an other way the permutation?
\begin{align*}\psi_1\land \ldots \land \psi_k\land n_1\land \ldots \land n_{\ell}&=n_{\pi(k+1)}\land \ldots \land n_{\pi(k+\ell)}\land \psi_{\pi(1)}\land \ldots \land \psi_{\pi(\ell)} \\ & =\text{sign}(\pi)\cdot n_{k+1}\land \ldots \land n_{k}\land \psi_{1}\land \ldots \land \psi_{\ell} \\ & = \text{sign}(\pi)\left (n_{k+1}\land \ldots \land n_{k}\right )\land \left (\psi_{1}\land \ldots \land \psi_{\ell}\right )\\ & = \text{sign}(\pi)\sigma\land \omega \end{align*}

Shouldn't it be as follows?
\begin{align*}\psi_1\land \ldots \land \psi_k\land n_{k+1}\land \ldots \land n_{k+\ell}&=\text{sign}(\pi)\psi_{\pi(1)}\land \ldots \land \psi_{\pi(k)}\land n_{\pi(k+1)}\land \ldots \land n_{\pi(k+\ell)} \\ & =\text{sign}(\pi)\cdot n_{k+1}\land \ldots \land n_{k+\ell}\land \psi_{1}\land \ldots \land \psi_{k} \\ & = \text{sign}(\pi)\left (n_{k+1}\land \ldots \land n_{k+\ell}\right )\land \left (\psi_{1}\land \ldots \land \psi_{k}\right )\\ & = \text{sign}(\pi)\sigma\land \omega \end{align*}
(Wondering)

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Using the First Property to Prove the Second Property of the Exterior Product

1. What is the "Property of exterior product"?

The property of exterior product is a mathematical concept used in vector calculus and linear algebra. It states that the exterior product of two vectors is equal to the cross product of the two vectors multiplied by the sine of the angle between them.

2. How is the "Property of exterior product" used in science?

The property of exterior product is commonly used in physics and engineering to calculate the torque on an object. It is also used in geometric algebra to represent rotations and reflections in three-dimensional space.

3. Why is the "Property of exterior product" important?

The property of exterior product is important because it allows for the representation and manipulation of vector quantities in a concise and elegant manner. It also has practical applications in various fields of science and engineering.

4. Can the "Property of exterior product" be extended to higher dimensions?

Yes, the property of exterior product can be extended to higher dimensions. In fact, the exterior product can be generalized to any number of dimensions, making it a powerful tool in multi-dimensional mathematics.

5. How can I apply the "Property of exterior product" in my research or experiments?

If your research or experiments involve vector quantities, you can apply the property of exterior product to simplify calculations and gain a better understanding of the relationships between these quantities. Additionally, the property can be used to solve problems in mechanics, electromagnetism, and other areas of science.