Using this power level indicator to measure a power supply voltage

In summary, the speaker is using a power supply in their project but is concerned about the device shutting off suddenly and requiring a system reboot. They plan to use a power level indicator to monitor battery levels and are considering using a two-way USB splitter or measuring directly through the battery's positive and negative ends. The speaker notes that the LM3914 power indicator may use a lot of power and suggests alternative options such as utilizing analog input or a low current comparator or voltage monitor.
shushi_boi
In this project, I am using the https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005W09XYW/?tag=pfamazon01-20
as a power supply, but in my project, if my device shuts off suddenly without shutting off properly, it would require me to reboot the entire system as it won't work anymore.

So I decided to use this power level indicator to let me know when the power was low
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LM3914-10-Segment-5V-12V-Battery-Capacity-Power-Level-LED-Indicator-Display-Kits-/172114574265?var=&hash=item2812d3fbb9:m:mmJ2JOe1vVFqqrtr-oQI3nA

Could I get a two way usb splitter that connects to the power supply, one that powers the device, and another to the power level indicator so that I could measure the battery level?

Or would it be better if I measured through the batteries positive and negative ends directly?

I noticed that although the output through the usb port from the power supply is 5 volts, it does use x6AA batteries wired in series to each other.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
The LM3914 uses about 2.4mA by itself to say nothing of the LED's. That is a lot for a battery monitor for AA batteries. Does your project have any analog input capability? Can you use that to measure the battery voltage? Otherwise use a comparator or voltage monitor to sense the battery voltage (directly on the battery not the USB output). These are available in very low current versions.

BoB

What is the purpose of a power level indicator?

A power level indicator is used to measure the voltage of a power supply. It shows the amount of electrical energy being supplied by the power source.

How does a power level indicator work?

A power level indicator works by using a voltage divider circuit to measure the voltage of a power supply. It then displays this voltage on a scale, usually in volts.

Why is it important to measure the power supply voltage?

Measuring the power supply voltage is important because it ensures that the correct amount of electrical energy is being supplied to a device. This is important for the proper functioning and safety of the device.

What are the benefits of using a power level indicator?

Using a power level indicator allows for accurate and precise measurements of the voltage of a power supply. This can help identify any potential issues or malfunctions and ensure that the device is receiving the correct amount of power.

Are power level indicators only used for measuring power supply voltage?

No, power level indicators can also be used to measure other parameters such as current, resistance, and frequency. Some advanced models can even measure multiple parameters simultaneously.