Using two sums to find geometric sequence

In summary: If you start with "0", you would sum through the 0 term and then 1 term, and in the second case, you would sum through the 1 term and then the n-1 term. In summary, the student was given two sums of a geometric sequence and was supposed to find the first term and the common factor. He was unable to find the first term and was stumped. He looked online and found two different formulas for the sum of a geometric series, but neither of them worked for him. He eventually found a different way to solve the problem and his r value was not exact.
DatGuy
Hi. I'm currently tutoring this student with High school math, and I'm completely stumped on this question that he was asked on his test. I'm hoping the community can help me help my student!

Homework Statement

The student was presented with two sums of a geometric sequence (eg, Sum of the first 5 terms and sum of the first 8 terms, both of which indicate that the sequence is not convergent), and he's supposed to find the first term of the sequence as well as the common factor.

Homework Equations

Sn = a (r^n - 1) / (r-1)
tn = (t1)(r^(n-1))

The Attempt at a Solution

I've Googled and looked through my notes but I can't find anything with this type of example! I thought that maybe I could do a substitution but that didn't really work out...

Physics news on Phys.org
What are the sums of the sequences?

I don't know the exact sums, 56 and 84 or something similar? All I need are some pointers as to what to do and I should be able to figure out the rest :) thanks!

Well,

Sum(1st 5 terms)=a1(r^4)/(r-1)
Sum(1st 8 terms)=a1(r^7)/(r-1)

Sum(1st 5 terms)/Sum(1st 8 terms)=r^-3 so you can find r this way.

Then just put back into either one of the Sum equations and solve for a1.

That makes sense. Thanks so much for your help; I really appreciate it!

Uhh, nvm. It seemed to make sense but when I tested it, it doesn't seem to work! I made my own sequence: 1, 2.5, 6.25, 15.625, 39.0625, so r=2.5. If I divided Sum(5) = 64.4375 by Sum(3) = 9.75, then square root that answer, I would end up with 2.571. Will the r that comes out not be exact?

EDIT: Unless I followed your instructions incorrectly, I think I understand why r isn't exact (perhaps you can confirm for me?). The larger the number of terms between the two given sums, the closer the calculated r value becomes to the true r value, right?

Last edited:
Ah, I wrote my equations wrong,

Sum(1st 5)=a*((r^5)-1)/(r-1)
Sum(1st 8)=a*((r^8)-1)/(r-1)

Sum(1st 5)/Sum(1st 8)=((r^5)-1)/((r^8)-1)

If you can solve that for r then you have, though it doesn't look like it'll be so easy to do.

Thanks for your help! I had a feeling this question was deceptively easy... My student is in Grade 11 math, so this question seems inappropriate for their level of math if this is really the only way to go about it.

In klawlor419's defense, there can be two different formulas for the sum of a geometric series, through the "nth" term depending upon whether you start indexing with "0" or "1" since in the first, the "sum of n terms" will be the sum through the n-1 term.

Related to Using two sums to find geometric sequence

1. How do you use two sums to find a geometric sequence?

To use two sums to find a geometric sequence, you need to know the first and last values of the sequence and the number of terms in between. Then, you can use the formula an = a1rn-1, where an is the last value, a1 is the first value, r is the common ratio, and n is the number of terms. Plug in your known values and solve for r.

2. How do you know if a sequence is geometric?

A sequence is geometric if each term is found by multiplying the previous term by a constant number, known as the common ratio. This means that the ratio of any two consecutive terms will always be the same. For example, in the sequence 2, 6, 18, 54, the common ratio is 3, because 6 divided by 2 is 3, 18 divided by 6 is 3, and so on.

3. What is the difference between a finite geometric sequence and an infinite geometric sequence?

A finite geometric sequence has a set number of terms, while an infinite geometric sequence continues infinitely. In a finite sequence, you can find the final value by using the formula an = a1rn-1. In an infinite sequence, the common ratio will be less than 1 in order for the sequence to converge to a final value, known as the limit.

4. Can you find the common ratio of a geometric sequence if you only know two terms?

Yes, you can find the common ratio of a geometric sequence if you know two terms. Use the formula r = an/an-1, where an is the last term and an-1 is the term before it. Plug in the two known values and solve for r.

5. How can you use a geometric sequence to predict future values?

To predict future values in a geometric sequence, you need to know the common ratio and the number of terms you want to predict. Use the formula an = a1rn-1, where an is the predicted value, a1 is the first value, r is the common ratio, and n is the number of terms. Plug in your known values and solve for an.