Using ultrasonic cleaner to mix solution, using separate container in cleaner reservoir

In summary, using an ultrasonic cleaner to mix a solution involves placing the solution in a separate container within the cleaner's reservoir and then running the machine to create ultrasonic waves that effectively mix the solution. This method is commonly used in laboratory settings to ensure thorough mixing and dissolution of substances. It is also a more efficient and effective alternative to manual mixing methods.
Dwayne Oxford
Want to do same but in glass container instead of directly in the reservoir as he did.
Called the manufacturer, got transferred to their "lab guy" who seemed bumfuzzled by what I want to do, dis-recommended plain water in the reservoir, citing potential corrosion issues??, recommending their cleaning solution which I neither need nor want.
Asked him about using a light oil, he cited oil residue in the reservoir??, which dish detergent easily removes.
Any reason light oil would not be good transfer agent?

Physics news on Phys.org
Dwayne Oxford said:
bumfuzzled
:oldlaugh:

1. How does ultrasonic cleaning work?

Ultrasonic cleaning uses high frequency sound waves to create tiny bubbles in a liquid, which then collapse and create strong shock waves. These shock waves help to remove dirt and debris from surfaces and can also be used to mix solutions.

2. Can any type of solution be mixed using an ultrasonic cleaner?

No, only water-based solutions can be mixed using an ultrasonic cleaner. The sound waves do not work well with oil-based solutions and can cause damage to the cleaner.

3. Is it necessary to use a separate container in the cleaner reservoir?

Yes, it is recommended to use a separate container when mixing solutions in an ultrasonic cleaner. This helps to protect the cleaner from any potential damage and also makes it easier to remove and dispose of the solution after use.

4. How long should I run the ultrasonic cleaner to mix a solution?

The length of time needed to mix a solution will depend on the type and amount of solution being mixed. It is best to follow the manufacturer's instructions and start with a shorter time, checking the solution periodically until it is mixed to the desired consistency.

5. Can I mix multiple solutions in the ultrasonic cleaner at once?

No, it is not recommended to mix multiple solutions in the ultrasonic cleaner at the same time. This can cause the solutions to react with each other and potentially create harmful fumes or damage the cleaner. It is best to mix solutions separately and then combine them in a separate container if needed.