Using v substitution for first order homogenous DE and constraining solution

In summary: It's just that the bag of tricks for integrals is much more extensive than for DEs.Yes. In summary, the conversation discusses understanding a substitution for a first-order homogeneous equation and a solution to an example of such an equation. The solution is valid within a certain range which can be determined using an initial condition. Developing a bag of tricks through experience is important when solving differential equations, similar to solving integrals.
Mayhem
TL;DR Summary
Understanding this substitution for a first order homogenous equation as well as a solution to an example of such an equation.
My considers a type of differential equation $$\frac{\mathrm{d} y}{\mathrm{d} x} = f\left(\frac{y}{x} \right )$$ and proposes that it can be solved by letting ##v(x) = \frac{y}{x}## which is equivalent to ##y = xv(x)##. Then it says $$\frac{\mathrm{d} y}{\mathrm{d} x} = v + x\frac{\mathrm{d} v}{\mathrm{d} x}$$ without any further explanation. Is it correctly understand that it just let's ##\frac{\mathrm{d} y}{\mathrm{d} x} = y' = \left(xv(x) \right)' = v + x \frac{\mathrm{d} v}{\mathrm{d} x} ## ?

Next, I would like to ask if I'm understanding this right. For the DE $$\frac{\mathrm{d} y}{\mathrm{d} x} = \frac{x^2+xy+y^2}{x^2}$$ the solution is $$y = x\tan{\left(\ln(|x|) + C \right)}$$ (I got the same answer as the book). But shouldn't it be noted that this solution is only true for ##-\pi/2 < y/x < \pi/2##? The book mentions nothing of the sort in the answer key.

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Mayhem said:
Summary:: Understanding this substitution for a first order homogenous equation as well as a solution to an example of such an equation.

My considers a type of differential equation $$\frac{\mathrm{d} y}{\mathrm{d} x} = f\left(\frac{y}{x} \right )$$ and proposes that it can be solved by letting ##v(x) = \frac{y}{x}## which is equivalent to ##y = xv(x)##. Then it says $$\frac{\mathrm{d} y}{\mathrm{d} x} = v + x\frac{\mathrm{d} v}{\mathrm{d} x}$$ without any further explanation. Is it correctly understand that it just let's ##\frac{\mathrm{d} y}{\mathrm{d} x} = y' = \left(xv(x) \right)' = v + x \frac{\mathrm{d} v}{\mathrm{d} x} ## ?
Yes.
Next, I would like to ask if I'm understanding this right. For the DE $$\frac{\mathrm{d} y}{\mathrm{d} x} = \frac{x^2+xy+y^2}{x^2}$$ the solution is $$y = x\tan{\left(\ln(|x|) + C \right)}$$ (I got the same answer as the book). But shouldn't it be noted that this solution is only true for ##-\pi/2 < y/x < \pi/2##? The book mentions nothing of the sort in the answer key.

To determine [itex]C[/itex], you need to apply an initial condition [itex]y(x_0) = y_0[/itex] where [itex]x_0 \neq 0[/itex]. Using a more convenient definition of [itex]C[/itex] the general solution is [tex]
y = x\tan \left( \ln \left| \frac{x}{x_0}\right| + C\right)[/tex] where the aboluste value signs are not strictly necessary as [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]x_0[/itex] will have the same sign so [itex]x/x_0 > 0[/itex] and we obtain [tex]
\frac{y_0}{x_0} = \tan C.[/tex] Now the range of [itex]\tan[/itex] is the whole of [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex] so such a [itex]C[/itex] always exists, and is equal to [itex]\arctan(y_0/x_0) \in (-\frac 12\pi, \frac12\pi)[/itex].

The solution is valid for [tex]-\frac{\pi}{2} < \ln \left|\frac{x}{x_0}\right| + \arctan\left(\frac{y_0}{x_0}\right) < \frac{\pi}{2}.[/tex].

Likes Mayhem and Delta2
pasmith said:
Yes.To determine [itex]C[/itex], you need to apply an initial condition [itex]y(x_0) = y_0[/itex] where [itex]x_0 \neq 0[/itex]. Using a more convenient definition of [itex]C[/itex] the general solution is [tex]
y = x\tan \left( \ln \left| \frac{x}{x_0}\right| + C\right)[/tex] where the aboluste value signs are not strictly necessary as [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]x_0[/itex] will have the same sign so [itex]x/x_0 > 0[/itex] and we obtain [tex]
\frac{y_0}{x_0} = \tan C.[/tex] Now the range of [itex]\tan[/itex] is the whole of [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex] so such a [itex]C[/itex] always exists, and is equal to [itex]\arctan(y_0/x_0) \in (-\frac 12\pi, \frac12\pi)[/itex].

The solution is valid for [tex]-\frac{\pi}{2} < \ln \left|\frac{x}{x_0}\right| + \arctan\left(\frac{y_0}{x_0}\right) < \frac{\pi}{2}.[/tex].
How do I learn to think like this? I don't think this line of reasoning would have come to me no matter how long I looked at the problem.

Likes Delta2
Mayhem said:
How do I learn to think like this?
Experience.
Solving differential equations requires a bag of tricks that you learn as you go along.

Likes Delta2
Mark44 said:
Experience.
Solving differential equations requires a bag of tricks that you learn as you go along.
Seems reasonable. I think the same is true for integrals.

1. What is v substitution and how does it help solve first order homogeneous differential equations?

V substitution is a technique used to transform a first order homogeneous differential equation into a separable equation, making it easier to solve. This is done by substituting the dependent variable, y, with a new variable, v, which is the ratio of the dependent variable to the independent variable. This simplifies the equation and makes it easier to find a solution.

2. Can v substitution be used for all first order homogeneous differential equations?

Yes, v substitution can be used for all first order homogeneous differential equations. However, it may not always result in a simpler equation, and other methods may be more efficient for certain equations.

3. How do you constrain the solution when using v substitution?

To constrain the solution, you need to apply initial or boundary conditions to the original differential equation before performing the v substitution. This will help determine the constant of integration in the final solution.

4. Are there any limitations to using v substitution for first order homogeneous differential equations?

One limitation of using v substitution is that it may not work for non-homogeneous equations. In addition, the substitution may result in a more complex equation, making it difficult to find a solution. In such cases, other methods may be more suitable.

5. Can v substitution be used for higher order homogeneous differential equations?

Yes, v substitution can also be used for higher order homogeneous differential equations. However, it may result in a system of equations that can be more challenging to solve. In such cases, it may be more efficient to use other methods such as the method of undetermined coefficients or variation of parameters.