V * grad(V) = grad(V^2/2) - rotor(omega)

Rikyuri
Hi, while studying for my aerodynamics class, I encountered this equivalence that my professor gave us as a vector identity:
$$
\mathbf{V} \cdot \nabla \mathbf{V} = \nabla\left(\frac{V^{2}}{2}\right)-\mathbf{V} \times \boldsymbol{\omega}
$$
where ## \boldsymbol{\omega} = \nabla \times \mathbf{V} ##I tryed to expand the operator and found that ## \mathbf{V} \cdot \nabla \mathbf{V} = \nabla(\frac{V^{2}}{2}) ## but that can't be true.
I really don't understend how ## \nabla \times \boldsymbol{\omega} ## fits into the equivalence.
If someone can explain how this works, it would be great.

PS: I hope that the LaTeX insertions work; if not, how do you insert LaTeX code in a post? (solved)

Edit: Latex insertion correction

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Rikyuri said:
how do you insert LaTeX code in a post?
You put it between ## ... ## for inline or between $$ ... $$ for outline.

Likes Rikyuri
Be careful as ## \sum_i v_i \partial_i v_k \neq \sum_i v_i \partial_k v_i ##. You should use parentheses, here ##\mathbf V \cdot \nabla \mathbf V## means ##(\mathbf V \cdot \nabla)\mathbf V##. I would start from ##\mathbf V\times \nabla \times \mathbf V##. What techniques do you know ? Do you know Levi-Civita identities?

Likes DeBangis21 and dextercioby
pines-demon said:
Be careful as ## \sum_i v_i \partial_i v_k \neq \sum_i v_i \partial_k v_i ##. You should use parentheses, here ##\mathbf V \cdot \nabla \mathbf V## means ##(\mathbf V \cdot \nabla)\mathbf V##. I would start from ##\mathbf V\times \nabla \times \mathbf V##. What techniques do you know ? Do you know Levi-Civita identities?
Oh, so it is the divergence, not the gradient. I don't really know Levi-Civita identities; I've only heard about them.
Regarding the techniques, I have knowledge of Calculus II.
If can be usefull I started to use Einstein notation for this class, sometimes I struggle a bit with it, but I can uderstand it. Thanks a lot for the help.

Rikyuri said:
Oh, so it is the divergence, not the gradient. I don't really know Levi-Civita identities; I've only heard about them.
Regarding the techniques, I have knowledge of Calculus II.
If can be usefull I started to use Einstein notation for this class, sometimes I struggle a bit with it, but I can uderstand it. Thanks a lot for the help.
It is not even the divergence or gradient, it is the "vector-dot-del" (##\mathbf V \cdot \nabla ##) operator. If ##\mathbf V = (v_x,v_y,v_z)## then
$$(\mathbf V \cdot\nabla)\mathbf V = (v_x \partial_x+v_y \partial_y+v_z \partial_z)\mathbf V =\begin{pmatrix}[v_x \partial_x+v_y \partial_y+v_z \partial_z]v_x\\
[v_x \partial_x+v_y \partial_y+v_z \partial_z]v_y\\
[v_x \partial_x+v_y \partial_y+v_z \partial_z]v_z\end{pmatrix} $$
Compare with
$$\nabla \left(\frac12 V^2\right)=\begin{pmatrix}
v_x \partial_x v_x+v_y \partial_x v_y+v_z \partial_x v_z\\
v_x \partial_y v_x+v_y \partial_x v_y+v_z \partial_y v_z\\
v_x \partial_z v_x+v_y \partial_z v_y+v_z \partial_z v_z\\
\end{pmatrix}$$
which is totally different.Which calculus identities do you know? You can also just write it in components as I did and see if the relation holds.

Last edited:
Likes PhDeezNutz, Delta2 and dextercioby
pines-demon said:
It is not even the divergence or gradient, it is the "vector-dot-del" (##\mathbf V \cdot \nabla ##) operator.
Which calculus identities do you know?
Not much:
$$\nabla \times \nabla f = 0; \nabla \cdot \nabla \times f = 0$$
Those are the only one I remember using a part for this new one.

Rikyuri said:
Not much:
$$\nabla \times \nabla f = 0; \nabla \cdot \nabla \times f = 0$$
Those are the only one I remember using a part for this new one.
Then I suggest that you just calculate all 3 components of $$\mathbf V \times (\nabla \times \mathbf V)$$ and compare with the other too. There is no easy calculation without other calculus identities.

[Note to mentors: can the title of this thread be changed to (V dot del)V=grad(V^2/2)-(V cross omega)?]

Last edited:
Likes Rikyuri

1. What does the equation "V * grad(V) = grad(V^2/2) - rotor(omega)" represent?

The equation represents the Navier-Stokes equation in a rotating frame of reference. It describes the motion of fluid particles in a rotating system.

2. How is the equation derived?

The equation is derived from the conservation of momentum principle and the Coriolis force in a rotating frame of reference. It is a fundamental equation in fluid dynamics.

3. What is the significance of the terms "V * grad(V)" and "grad(V^2/2) - rotor(omega)" in the equation?

The term "V * grad(V)" represents the convective acceleration of the fluid flow, while "grad(V^2/2) - rotor(omega)" represents the pressure gradient force and the Coriolis force acting on the fluid particles.

4. What are the implications of the equation in fluid dynamics?

The equation helps in understanding the effects of rotation on fluid flow, such as the formation of vortices and the development of complex flow patterns. It is essential for studying geophysical fluid dynamics and atmospheric dynamics.

5. Are there any simplifications or assumptions made in using the equation?

Yes, the equation assumes an incompressible and viscous fluid flow, neglects external forces, and considers a steady-state flow. These simplifications are common in fluid dynamics to analyze specific aspects of fluid motion.