Speed of sound in a relativistic fluid

And a scalar is a scalar for me. Sorry for the confusion!In summary, the conversation discusses the perturbation of equations in the rest frame of an unperturbed fluid. The perturbation is shown to be proportional to the gradient of the perturbation of energy density, with the speed of sound given by the square root of the partial derivative of pressure with respect to energy density.
etotheipi
Homework Statement
Derive the speed of sound in an ##\mathrm{\mathbf{isolated}}## and ##\mathrm{\mathbf{homogeneous}}## simple fluid, by considering small first-order adiabatic perturbations to the fluid.

Assume an equation of state ##p = p(\epsilon, S)## where ##\epsilon## is the ##\mathrm{\mathbf{proper \, energy \, density}}:= \mathbf{T}(\mathbf{\vec{u}}, \mathbf{\vec{u}})## of the fluid [with ##\mathbf{\vec{u}}## the 4-velocity of a co-moving observer ##\mathscr{C}##] and ##S:= s/n## is the ##\mathrm{\mathbf{entropy\, per\, baryon}}##.
Relevant Equations
Fluid energy equation:$$\partial_t E + \boldsymbol{\nabla} \cdot ([E+p]\mathbf{\vec{V}}) = P_{\text{ext}}$$Relativistic Euler equation:$$\partial_t \mathbf{\vec{V}} + \boldsymbol{\nabla}_{\mathbf{\vec{V}}} \mathbf{\vec{V}} = - \frac{c^2}{E+p} \left( \tilde{\nabla} p + \frac{1}{c^2} \left( \partial_t p + P_{\text{ext}} \right) \mathbf{\vec{V}} \right) + \frac{c^2}{E+p} \mathbf{\vec{F}}_{\text{ext}}$$where ##\tilde{\nabla}## denotes the purely spatial gradient operator. Also, ##\mathbf{\vec{V}}## [the "fluid velocity with respect to ##\mathscr{O}##" 4-vector] is defined by the orthogonal decomposition:$$\mathbf{\vec{u}}_{\mathscr{C}} = \gamma \left( \mathbf{\vec{u}}_{\mathscr{O}} + \frac{1}{c} \mathbf{\vec{V}} \right)$$with ##\mathscr{C}## being a co-moving observer and ##\mathscr{O}## a general observer.
Let us consider the co-moving observer ##\mathscr{C}## for whom ##E = \epsilon## and ##\mathbf{\vec{V}} = \mathbf{\vec{0}}##. Doing the perturbation stuff to the first of the relevant equations gives$$\partial_t \delta \epsilon + \boldsymbol{\nabla} \cdot ([\epsilon + p] \delta \mathbf{\vec{V}}) = \delta P_{\text{ext}} = 0$$since ##\delta [(\epsilon + p) \mathbf{\vec{V}}] = (\delta [\epsilon + p]) \mathbf{\vec{0}} + (\epsilon + p) \delta \mathbf{\vec{V}}##. To the second relevant equation the perturbation is similarly$$
\begin{align*}
\partial_t \delta \mathbf{\vec{V}} + \boldsymbol{\nabla}_{\mathbf{\vec{V}}} \delta \mathbf{\vec{V}} &= - \delta \left[\frac{c^2}{\epsilon+p} \left( \tilde{\nabla} p + \frac{1}{c^2} \left( \partial_t p + P_{\text{ext}} \right) \mathbf{\vec{V}} \right) \right] + \delta \left[ \frac{c^2}{\epsilon+p} \mathbf{\vec{F}}_{\text{ext}} \right] \\

\end{align*}$$Because the fluid is homogenous, ##\tilde{\nabla} p = 0## and given also that ##\mathbf{\vec{V}} = \mathbf{\vec{0}}##, I think that the first term will reduce to:$$
\begin{align*}
\delta \left[\frac{c^2}{\epsilon+p} \left( \tilde{\nabla} p + \frac{1}{c^2} \left( \partial_t p + P_{\text{ext}} \right) \mathbf{\vec{V}} \right) \right] &= \frac{c^2}{\epsilon + p} \left( \tilde{\nabla} \delta p + \frac{1}{c^2} \mathbf{\vec{V}} \partial_t \delta p+ \frac{1}{c^2} (\partial_t p + P_{\text{ext}}) \delta \mathbf{\vec{V}} \right) \\

&= \frac{c^2}{\epsilon + p} \left( \tilde{\nabla} \delta p + \frac{1}{c^2} (\partial_t p + P_{\text{ext}}) \delta \mathbf{\vec{V}} \right)

\end{align*}$$whilst since ##\delta \mathbf{\vec{F}}_{\text{ext}} = \mathbf{\vec{0}}##, the second term is$$\delta \left[ \frac{c^2}{\epsilon+p} \mathbf{\vec{F}}_{\text{ext}} \right] = \frac{-c^2}{(\epsilon + p)^2} \mathbf{\vec{F}}_{\text{ext}} \delta (\epsilon + p)$$I'm not really sure how to clean this up. I don't know what ##\boldsymbol{\nabla}_{\mathbf{\vec{V}}} \delta \mathbf{\vec{V}}## reduces to, and I don't know how to get rid of the 4-force ##\mathbf{\vec{F}}_{\text{ext}}## and external power density ##P_{\text{ext}}##. Also, given the change is adiabatic I can write down from the equation of state:$$\delta p = \frac{\partial p}{\partial \epsilon} \big{|}_S \delta \epsilon + \frac{\partial p}{\partial S} \big{|}_{\epsilon} \delta S = \frac{\partial p}{\partial \epsilon} \big{|}_S \delta \epsilon$$How do I tidy up the perturbation, and then somehow extract a wave equation from that? Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes JD_PM
Physics news on Phys.org
Oh wait; it's isolated and so both ##\mathbf{F}_{\text{ext}}## and ##P_{\text{ext}} = 0##, right, and furthermore due to the homogeneity ##\epsilon## and ##p## are constants thus ##\delta(\epsilon + p) = 0## too? Also, presumably ##\partial_t p = 0## also due to time-independence! o:) Okay, I think I can clean this up! We have:$$
\begin{align*}

\partial_t \delta \mathbf{\vec{V}} + \boldsymbol{\nabla}_{\mathbf{\vec{V}}} \delta \mathbf{\vec{V}} &=

\frac{-c^2}{\epsilon + p} \left( \tilde{\nabla} \delta p \right) = \frac{-c^2}{\epsilon + p} \frac{\partial p}{\partial \epsilon} \big{|}_{S} \tilde{\nabla} \delta \epsilon
\end{align*}
$$and for the other equation, again since ##\epsilon## and ##p## are independent of position,$$\partial_t \delta \epsilon + (\epsilon + p)\boldsymbol{\nabla} \cdot \delta \mathbf{\vec{V}}= 0$$Hmm, it's a bit simpler, but still not that simple! I can substitute in my ##\delta p## from the thermodynamic equation of state, but I still don't know how to deal with the ##\boldsymbol{\nabla}_{\mathbf{\vec{V}}} \delta \mathbf{\vec{V}}## term!

To derive the sound waves you work in the rest frame of the unpertubed fluid, assuming it's in thermal equilibrium. Then ##\vec{v}=\delta \vec{v}##. Since thus ##\nabla_{\vec{v}} \vec{V}=\delta \vec{v} \cdot \delta \vec{v}=\mathcal{O}(\delta^2)=\simeq 0##. Further you can also use ##\epsilon+p=\epsilon_0+p_0## and ##(\partial p/\partial \epsilon)_S=(\partial p/\partial \epsilon)_{S0}##, because these expressions multiply quantities which are already in 1st order of the perturbations. Now eliminate ##\delta \vec{v}## from your 2nd equation, using the first (taking into account the said approximations). Then interpret the resulting equation to get the speed of sound.

Likes etotheipi
Thanks @vanhees71, yes I think I can do it now!

Although how I defined it above ##\mathbf{\vec{V}}## is a 4-vector, it's an orthogonal projection onto the observer's local rest space ##\mathscr{E}_{\mathbf{\vec{u}}_{\mathscr{O}}}## and hence has zero time component w.r.t. his basis vectors, i.e. ##\mathbf{\vec{V}} \equiv (0, \vec{V})##. Thus reformulating in terms of 3-vectors and then acting ##\tilde{\nabla} \cdot## on the first equation gives$$
\partial_t \tilde{\nabla} \cdot \delta \vec{V} = \frac{-c^2}{\epsilon + p} \frac{\partial p}{\partial \epsilon} \big{|}_{S} \tilde{\nabla}^2 \delta \epsilon
$$whilst taking the time derivative of the second equation gives$$\partial_t \delta \epsilon + (\epsilon + p) \partial_t \tilde{\nabla} \cdot \delta \vec{V}= 0$$Hence eliminating ##\partial_t \tilde{\nabla} \cdot \delta \vec{V}## results in the equation$$\partial_t^2 \delta \epsilon = c^2 \frac{\partial p}{\partial \epsilon} \big{|}_{S} \tilde{\nabla}^2 \delta \epsilon$$from which it follows that$$c_{\text{sound}} = c \sqrt{\frac{\partial p}{\partial \epsilon} \big{|}_{S}}$$😄

Likes vanhees71
Argh. I should have read your posting more carefully. For me everything with an arrow is a three-vector, which can be simply the three spatial components of a four-vector wrt. a Minkowski-orthonormal basis or one of the two three-vectors making up an antisymmetric Minkowski tensor (as ##\vec{E}## and ##\vec{B}## making up the Faraday tensor components ##F_{\mu \nu}## wrt. a Minkowski-orthonormal basis).

Likes etotheipi

1. What is the speed of sound in a relativistic fluid?

The speed of sound in a relativistic fluid is not a fixed value and can vary depending on the properties of the fluid, such as its density and temperature. However, it is always lower than the speed of light in a vacuum, which is the maximum speed possible in the universe.

2. How does the speed of sound in a relativistic fluid differ from the speed of sound in a non-relativistic fluid?

The main difference is that in a relativistic fluid, the speed of sound is affected by the fluid's energy and momentum, while in a non-relativistic fluid, it is only determined by the fluid's density and temperature. This means that the speed of sound in a relativistic fluid can approach the speed of light, while in a non-relativistic fluid, it is always significantly lower.

3. Can the speed of sound in a relativistic fluid exceed the speed of light?

No, according to Einstein's theory of relativity, the speed of light is the maximum speed possible in the universe. Therefore, the speed of sound in a relativistic fluid can never exceed the speed of light, but it can approach it under certain conditions.

4. How is the speed of sound in a relativistic fluid calculated?

The speed of sound in a relativistic fluid is calculated using the equation cs = √(dp/dρ), where cs is the speed of sound, p is the fluid's pressure, and ρ is its density. This equation takes into account the fluid's energy and momentum, making it suitable for relativistic fluids.

5. What are some real-world examples of relativistic fluids?

Some examples of relativistic fluids include plasmas, such as those found in stars and nuclear reactors, and the quark-gluon plasma, which is created in high-energy particle collisions. These fluids have high energy and momentum, causing their speed of sound to approach the speed of light.