How Does Quantum Turbulence Affect Plasma in a Tokamak?

In summary: Additionally, it was proposed that a vacuum turbulence gradient could be created to aid in confinement. However, this idea is still being explored and caution is being taken in making connections to other areas of physics, such as quantum gravity. While the Fermi telescope has been observing GRBs for 10 years, no concrete connection has been made to quantum gravity effects. Further research and published papers are needed to make advancements in this area.
andrew848
TL;DR Summary
I was reading that the most powerful gamma ray burst experienced a 'drag' due to quantum turbulence and wondered how this could effect a plasma.
Summary: I was reading that the most powerful gamma ray burst experienced a 'drag' due to quantum turbulence and wondered how this could effect a plasma.

After reading this Wikipedia article https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GRB_080916C I noticed the part about how the light was slowed down by the quantum turbulence of space time, This got me thinking. I was wondering how much a vacuum could influence turbulence of a plasma in say a tokamak? Could you find a way to influence space time into a more organized state like how a plasma actuator has been proposed to reduce drag on a plane? If so, could a more efficient tokamak be created? reducing turbulence and create a path of least resistance for the plasma to follow. If you could find parameters for the plasma to generate this effect on its own and create a vacuum turbulence gradient between the reactors walls (high vacuum turbulence) and in the plasma itself (low vacuum turbulence) to aid in confinement.

Even if the tokamak idea doesn't hold up its still curious to think how the vacuum itself could influence a plasma.

Bonus points if you are board and some food for thought, Could a simalure vain of thought be applied to a space ship. Could you control the vacuum fluctuations to create a so called warp drive or even align space in such a way to get passed the speed of light.

Physics news on Phys.org
andrew848 said:
Summary: I was reading that the most powerful gamma ray burst experienced a 'drag' due to quantum turbulence and wondered how this could effect a plasma.

After reading this Wikipedia article https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GRB_080916C I noticed the part about how the light was slowed down by the quantum turbulence of space time, This got me thinking. I was wondering how much a vacuum could influence turbulence of a plasma in say a tokamak? Could you find a way to influence space time into a more organized state like how a plasma actuator has been proposed to reduce drag on a plane? If so, could a more efficient tokamak be created? reducing turbulence and create a path of least resistance for the plasma to follow. If you could find parameters for the plasma to generate this effect on its own and create a vacuum turbulence gradient between the reactors walls (high vacuum turbulence) and in the plasma itself (low vacuum turbulence) to aid in confinement.

Even if the tokamak idea doesn't hold up its still curious to think how the vacuum itself could influence a plasma.

Bonus points if you are board and some food for thought, Could a simalure vain of thought be applied to a space ship. Could you control the vacuum fluctuations to create a so called warp drive or even align space in such a way to get passed the speed of light.

First of all, I attended a presentation by a PI of this project before the published this and while they were still under an embargo while they wait for the Science paper to appear. Not once was there any connection made between the "delay" and "quantum gravity", etc.

Secondly, you really shouldn't be jumping to all these conclusions AND start to apply elsewhere until this connect has been established. Even during the initial media release, there were caution being given out that this delay, if it is real, can be explained by many other things. Even the Sky and Telescope article linked in that Wikipedia entry stated it plainly:

For instance, maybe bursters really do emit their highest-energy photons a few seconds after the rest. Ruling this out will require observing many more GRBs — in particular, to see whether the amount of the delay scales with the distance of the burst, and not with any intrinsic characteristic of the event itself. "Burst emissions at these energies are still poorly understood, and Fermi is giving us the tools to figure them out," says LAT lead scientist Peter Michelson of Stanford University, whose team reports its results in the February 19th Science Express.

Also note that the Fermi telescope was part of the conglomerate that looked at the recent GRB along with LIGO, and nothing there considered out of the ordinary other than the monumental event of the merging of optical and gravitational astronomy.

Fermi telescope has looked at GRBs for 10 years now, and as far as I can tell, no connection has been made of their observations with such quantum gravity/quantum foam effects. If you have a proper publication (as in published papers) that have made newer advancement on this front, I'd like to see the reference.

Zz.

I moved the thread to "other physics topics". It doesn't fit to particle physics but I also don't know where else it would fit.
andrew848 said:

I was wondering how much a vacuum could influence turbulence of a plasma in say a tokamak?
Not at all. The two things have nothing to do with each other, even if the delay is actually from something new and not just from the details of the burst.

Nothing we create on Earth comes anywhere close to the photon energy recorded from this GRB, and even at this energy these speculative theories only expect a few seconds delay after 12 billion years of travel time.
andrew848 said:
It doesn't.

1. How does a vacuum affect a plasma?

A vacuum affects a plasma by reducing the number of particles present, which in turn decreases the collisions between particles. This leads to a decrease in plasma density and an increase in the mean free path of particles.

2. Can a vacuum be used to control or manipulate a plasma?

Yes, a vacuum can be used to control a plasma by adjusting the pressure and density of the gas within the vacuum chamber. This can also affect the plasma's temperature and stability.

3. What is the relationship between vacuum pressure and plasma density?

The relationship between vacuum pressure and plasma density is inverse. As the pressure decreases, the plasma density also decreases. This is because the number of particles in the plasma is directly proportional to the pressure of the gas.

4. How does the vacuum environment affect the behavior of a plasma?

The vacuum environment can affect the behavior of a plasma by altering the particle collisions, which can impact the plasma's temperature, density, and stability. It can also impact the plasma's interactions with external fields and surfaces.

5. Can a vacuum chamber be used to simulate extreme plasma conditions?

Yes, a vacuum chamber can be used to simulate extreme plasma conditions by creating a low pressure environment and adjusting the gas composition and temperature. This can provide insights into plasma behavior in environments such as outer space or fusion reactors.