Vacuum energy and Energy conservation

In summary, physicists have brought up the idea that vacuum energy fluctuation, or the creation and destruction of virtual particles, may violate energy conservation due to the uncertainty principle. This principle suggests that energy can exist and disappear in a short period of time. However, there is no concrete evidence to support this idea and without a valid reference, there can be no further discussion on the topic. The thread has been closed until a valid reference is provided.
Ebi Rogha
TL;DR Summary
I understand from Noether's theorem, energy is not conserved in big scale space-time (because space-time is not static in big scales).
Also, I have heard from physicists that vacuum energy fluctuation (creation and destruction of virtual particles) violates energy conservation. The reason, they justify, is based on uncertainty principle (energy-time form of uncertainty principle), energy can exist and disappear for a very short period of time.
Could somebody explain this in simple words please?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ebi Rogha said:
I have heard from physicists

This is not an acceptable referende. How are we to track that down and figure out where the misunderstanding is.

Ebi Rogha said:
Casimir experiment energy conservation violate energy conservation
They do not.

Vanadium 50 said:
They do not.
Thanks Vanadium 50
How about vacuum fluctuation, does it violate energy conservation?

Ebi Rogha said:
I have heard from physicists
As has already been pointed out, this is not a valid reference. Without a valid reference we have no basis for a discussion.

For that reason, I am closing this thread. @Ebi Rogha, if you have a reference, please PM me and I will look at it, and if it looks OK, I will reopen the thread so you can post it.

1. What is vacuum energy?

Vacuum energy is a concept in quantum mechanics that refers to the energy that exists in a vacuum, even when there are no particles present. It is also known as zero-point energy.

2. How is vacuum energy related to energy conservation?

Vacuum energy is related to energy conservation because it is a form of energy that is constantly present in the universe, and it cannot be created or destroyed. This means that the total energy of the universe, including vacuum energy, must remain constant.

3. Can vacuum energy be harnessed for practical use?

At this time, vacuum energy cannot be harnessed for practical use. While it is a fundamental part of the universe, it is incredibly difficult to access and manipulate. Scientists are still researching ways to potentially harness this energy in the future.

4. How does vacuum energy affect the universe?

Vacuum energy is thought to play a role in the expansion of the universe. It is believed that the constant presence of vacuum energy may contribute to the accelerating expansion of the universe, known as dark energy.

5. Is vacuum energy the same as dark energy?

No, vacuum energy and dark energy are not the same. While they are both forms of energy that exist in the vacuum of space, they have different properties and effects on the universe. Dark energy is thought to be the dominant force driving the expansion of the universe, while vacuum energy is a more general concept that includes all forms of energy in the vacuum.